Thetford toilet smelling (1 Viewer)

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
Hi all we have just returned from a weeks trip away in a newly converted van and seem to have a toilet issue hopefully you can help with?
All was going ok until we were heading home on the last day when all we could smell was the toilet! which was last emptied a couple of days before hand. It wasn't full as the green indicator was all green but never the less had some content in it.

It seemed as though the smell was getting inside the van (ducato based van) from outside but could not be 100% sure as it was when moving, our Toilet cassette door does exit from the inside of the van but the vent pipe has been drilled through the floor to underneath the van so smells should go outside???
The thing is the smell did not seem to be in the toilet cubicle or really in where the cassette sits as checked when stationary so must of been coming in from outside in? In the end we removed the cassette put it in the toilet shower cubicle and taped the door up which stopped the bad smells instantly which the 5hr journey became bearable :)

How can i fix this or any solutions do people have to stop this happening again.
Thanks

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We do but the smell stopped when the cassette was removed.
The smell from the grey tank is when air comes back up through the u-bend. Normally when you're travelling because the air pressure pushes enough water out of the way. So it'll stop when you're at a standstill and used the sink to top-up the u-bend.

OP
OP
I

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
What are you using in the cassette for cleaning.
We used the blue liquid that came with the toilet, if there was not enough in would this cause the smells?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Perhaps the underfloor vent is working in reverse when you are driving and forcing smells back into the van? There could well be positive pressure below the van.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Well, yes, not using enough wouldn't be enough, but how much blue fluid did you use? As much as was advised on the container?

OP
OP
I

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
The smell from the grey tank is when air comes back up through the u-bend. Normally when you're travelling because the air pressure pushes enough water out of the way. So it'll stop when you're at a standstill and used the sink to top-up the u-bend.
The tanks are new Guigsy, they do have water traps fitted to them but the smell was the toilet.

OP
OP
I

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
Perhaps the underfloor vent is working in reverse when you are driving and forcing smells back into the van? There could well be positive pressure below the van.
Got me thinking could the vent pipe be pointing towards the front of the van? will check this out.

Thinking back the smell was also bad when we opened the windows as we tried this to get rid of the smell.

OP
OP
I

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
Well, yes, not using enough wouldn't be enough, but how much blue fluid did you use? As much as was advised on the container?
Couldn't say for sure will check the bottle as it was a small sample but would this not just mask the smell and not stop it from circulating around the van?

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We use Morrison's Bio Washing liquid in Bog (and down kitchen and bathroom sinks, especially just before departure, so a small amount of fresh water in the grey tank can slosh round whilst traveling) and all services odour free.

Pink toilet liquid can produce black algae globules, so we stay clear of it.

Otherwise, increase Toilet Fluid dose (or change diet ...), especially if hot weather, because the pong increases in Summer ...

Steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When you say 'vented through the floor' do you mean there's a hole with a grill over it or is the cassette connected to the vent by a hose/tube.
Once the toilet flap is closed the cassette is effectively water tight so smells can't eminate from there.
When travelling put the sink plugs in and a wet flannel over the shower drain to stop grey water smells getting out... It stinks worse than an open cassette.

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Twelve months and still learning.
We thought we could smell our cassette from inside the house when the van was parked on the drive. It was only when I noticed the trailer loads of ordure being transported by tractors past our house that we realised from where the pong was emanating.:LOL:

OP
OP
I

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
When you say 'vented through the floor' do you mean there's a hole with a grill over it or is the cassette connected to the vent by a hose/tube.
Once the toilet flap is closed the cassette is effectively water tight so smells can't eminate from there.
When travelling put the sink plugs in and a wet flannel over the shower drain to stop grey water smells getting out... It stinks worse than an open cassette.
The Cassette has what looks like a pressure valve or vent on the top and this mates up to a pipe when slid into place under the toilet bowl, this pipe is then is vented outside.

OP
OP
I

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
We use Morrison's Bio Washing liquid in Bog (and down kitchen and bathroom sinks, especially just before departure, so a small amount of fresh water in the grey tank can slosh round whilst traveling) and all services odour free.

Pink toilet liquid can produce black algae globules, so we stay clear of it.

Otherwise, increase Toilet Fluid dose (or change diet ...), especially if hot weather, because the pong increases in Summer ...

Steve
Diet has been mentioned when I emptied the bloody thing :)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Pics.

Where does it vent outside?

Could you put a 90° bend on this vent to increase the draw?

Cheers James

OP
OP
I

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
That's standard but the chemicals/ bio liquid should stop it smelling bad
Will try more chemicals next time otherwise i will remove the cassette while traveling.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
This might sound stupid but-

You are closing the flap in the cassette before travelling aren't you?

It's just that I've seen this happen before.......................... (no not me!)

OP
OP
I

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
Pics.

Where does it vent outside?

Could you put a 90° bend on this vent to increase the draw?

Cheers James
Just to underneath the van! will check the pipe see which way it is pointing.

OP
OP
I

Incarpaul

Free Member
Sep 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Boxer Campervan
Exp
This might sound stupid but-

You are closing the flap in the cassette before travelling aren't you?

It's just that I've seen this happen before.......................... (no not me!)
:) yes mate, as far as I could tell it was not coming from inside of the cubical, even after the cassette was removed and left on the cubical floor we drove 5hrs home there was no smell in there when we got back (or not a noticeable smell like before)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Got me thinking could the vent pipe be pointing towards the front of the van? will check this out.

Thinking back the smell was also bad when we opened the windows as we tried this to get rid of the smell.
Making sure it points backwards might create a venturi and suck the smells out better.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Making sure it points backwards might create a venturi and suck the smells out better.
Wasn't that the arrangement of train loos which discharged onto the track (nowadays it's hard to believe that arrangement was ever acceptable).
I think the train outlets had a swivelling elbow so that the opening always pointed towards the rear by rotating rather like a wind vane.

Make sure the rear windows are shut and seal properly. There's a low pressure area at the blunt back end of a moving motorhome which can draw fumes up from under the vehicle and concentrate them, as I discovered when I had a zorst tailpipe leak and the fumes were coming in a rear window, even leaving a very light and fine film of 'soot' inside the immediate window area after a couple of hundred miles.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
After emptying the grey waste tank I leave it open to dry out on the way home.
when I put puriclean in the fresh water tank to clean that I drain it via the taps into the grey tank a leave it for a day to clean that as well.
never had a problem with smells from the grey waste

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back