Thetford rubbish sink/hob fittings (a bit ranty) (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
My sister in law has an 2016 Autotrail vLine PVC , which has a Thetford sink fitted.
It has always been loose and variuos methods have been tried to fix it. This is from new.

She brought it to me in my capacity as a retired (an highly qualified) engineer.
I suggested we got the correct fixing kit from Thetford to fix the problem permanently.
So a kit was bought at the princely sum of £64:eek:

On inspection it is exactly the same bits as the OEM fix.
If you check the image , these are the bits I mean.

One end of the leg pulls upon the underneath of the cutout just as shown in the schematic.
The problem is the other end. This has nothing to react against and ends up being sort of crushed up against the curved surface of the sink. The screws are very fine threads , which can deliver a lot of force so either they bend or break or the bloody thing just about manages to tighten up. In this state it is going to vibrate loose in next to no time.

I ende up using some pads cut from ply and some fast helix woodscrews with their heads ground down to fit the headed bushes shown in the picture. It was then fixed solid.

However , I had opened the bag and had used a few bits from the kit so I can not return it. Fair enough , sort of.

I then tried to contact Thetford , either customer service or product development.
Very difficult, they maintain contact can only be via being a builder (OEM) or a dealer. They will not deal with an individual.

Haven't totally given in yet but this makes I very mad :mad:

How many people are running around like this I shudder to think.
Sink.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back