Thetford Absorption Fridge not cooling but ice box cold (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
As per heading - was away last weekend on EHU and fridge worked fine.

Has been on EHU for 24 hours now and the ice compartment is cold and freezing water but the actual fridge area does not appear to be getting very cold. The vent outside is quite warm and i have removed the cover and given a good vacuum.

The fins inside the fridge at the back are quite warm - should they be cold?

Any clues as to what cause might be please?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Possibly the heat sinks compound has dried out, get some new compound, remove the cooling fins in the fridge compartment clean off the dry compound and put new on the cooling tubes

OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Possibly the heat sinks compound has dried out, get some new compound, remove the cooling fins in the fridge compartment clean off the dry compound and put new on the cooling tubes
That sounds difficult

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Thanks folks Very helpful.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We are due to be away using our fridge on gas as we will be off grid so I have ordered some of the paste.
Considering our Rienza is a 55 reg this must help towards reducing the amount of gas we will use.
I made a strange discovery regarding our fridge whilst cleaning it after our last trip.
The door has never stayed closed without locking it for the five years we have had the Rienza. I took the shelf’s off the inside of the door to clean behind them, something had spilt behind one of them.
After putting the shelves back the door now closes without needing to lock it. The shelves don’t look any different.

OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
A few years back our house freezer door would not stay shut. I read about vaseline. You just rub vaseline around all the rubber seals and it fixes it! In fact sometimes it requires a really strong pull to get it open. I have recently done this to the motorhome fridge as felt the seal was not great. Especially when travelling. Works a treat!

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The heat sink paste arrived this morning so I took the plate out of the back of the fridge. There was a pencil mark were the pipe ran along the back of the plate but no heat sink paste. The pipe had some remains of heat sink paste that crumbled away when I ran my finger along it.
I put one and a bit tubes on the plate and the rest of the second tube on the pipe. That may be a bit over the top but the left overs will only sit on the workshop shelf.
As the fridge seemed to work ok before I dont think it will make a huge difference but it might reduce the gas usage a slightly.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
A follow up regarding the results of replacing the heat sink paste. We have been off grid for the last four days and used the fridge on gas.
Its not been very warm weather but the fridge seems a lot colder than it used to be. I have turned the setting down. This must mean I use less gas so that’s a bonus.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i did ours because i ordered the paste and for a previous fault that was fixed before the paste arrived it definitely made a difference and it is easy to do

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back