Our 3 way fridge saga

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Richard and Ann, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +3,963
    My story just might help someone with 3 way fridge trouble so here goes;

We've had our motorhome 3 years now and the fridge was always ok even in Spain's high ambient temperatures, until suddenly about a year ago we were in Spain, temperatures were the usual high twenties and I noticed the fridge evaporator wasn't frosting at all, just felt cold with condensation on it and the beers were chilled, but not properly cold.
    I remembered the evaporator always used to ice up because I had to defrost it once a fortnight or so. The freezer seemed unaffected.
    I did all the usual checks, the heater was working, the current consumption tallied with 120w, I tried it on gas and it was marginally better but still didn't frost. The stat was OK (never actually switched off) The only thing left it could be was the absorption unit, so I took the fridge out and turned it upside down, put it all back in and... no different.
    Long story short, it was under warranty so the dealership swapped the actual absorption cooling unit for a brand new one last December. Seemed better on the way home, but come April when we went to Portugal, you've guessed it.. Exactly the same problem... I began to question my sanity.
    When we got home I decided to take the aluminium fins off inside to see if the actual evaporator pipework behind would frost, (ie in an unloaded state) I found the screws to be loose holding it on and the heat transfer paste was quite sparse and quite dried. The pipework behind frosted up great so I ordered some tubes of heat transfer paste on ebay, plastered it on and reassembled tightly. I must admit I didn't have any faith in it working any differently.
    But look! 20170907_183728.jpg
    FROST! GLORIOUS FROST! just like I remembered it!

So if you're having fridge (not freezer) trouble, check your paste.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 5
    • Like it Like it x 4
    • Useful Useful x 4
  2. Leccy Man

Leccy Man

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Richard and Ann.
    Two days ago I read your posting,i am also having problems with my fridge but slightly different to yours as my fridge will reach temperature but the burner or element remained o.I decided to have a look behind the fins and found a lack of paste.After spreading some paste this has resolved the problem. Many thanks for your posting.
    Regards Leccy man.

• Like it Like it x 6
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  3. dpsuk999

dpsuk999 Funster

Ratings:
    +570
    Hi, could you post a link to the heat transfer paste you used from eBay please?

Thanks Dave.

4. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +3,963
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  5. dpsuk999

dpsuk999 Funster

Ratings:
    +570
    Thanks (y)

6. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +3,963
    Someone has been asking about my fridge and how I did it so I'm posting some photos to help anybody else.
    IMAG0941.jpg
    This is the old dry paste on the back of the aluminium fin plate.

7. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +3,963
    This is remnants of the old paste on the evaporator pipe.. IMAG0940.jpg

8. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +3,963
    This is the evaporator pipe frosting with no heat load on it. To test it will actually frost up.
    IMAG0942.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1