The Wild Brambles cooking advice thread (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I'll wait until I get a couple of burners and a sink. In the meantime, I seem to be frying everything. I bet I'm the only guy you know who has fried soup. :)

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I've just bought 350g of Jerusalem artichokes for 30p in Sainsbury's. I know they are a good source of potassium,and I was going to boil them. Google tells me I don't have to peel them, but just give them a scrub, and slice them, then I can fry them with sage and garlic. That sounds like a nice treat for tomorrow morning,

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'll wait until I get a couple of burners and a sink. In the meantime, I seem to be frying everything. I bet I'm the only guy you know who has fried soup. :)
I would get a stove with a grill, something like this but there several different ones. It will give an easy way to make toast and a poached egg or two on wholemeal toast is a nice breakfast. Cheese on toast too of course. :) Not so sure about grilling meat as washing up will be a pain but you can reduce the cleaning effort by lining the grill pan with foil. You'll need to buy a bottle and regulator but they are not too expensive and it should be more economical in the long run. The Camping Gaz bottles are compact.

61av6tvg8PL._SX679_.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I've got loads of bottles and regulators from my recycling days.

I'm either going to get a modern stainless steel twin burner, or I'll revive an old cast iron one. I like the rustic concept of the cast one on display,but a stainless one with lid might be more sensible. If I want to preserve the rustic image, I can always make a copper lid out of an old central heating tank. I must have 20 or more of those in the garages.

Reactions: DBK

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Cauliflowers were 29p In Tesco yesterday. Delicious steamed or cauliflower soup. If you dry fry it first flavour will improve.
Cauliflowers are excellent, so versatile and healthy (low in carbohydrates).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I still seem to be doing well with my bargains - Strawberries 6p per box, Organic eggs 6 for 15p, Romain lettuce 2 for 5 p, Tuna salad 5p and so on. This is at Asda. 20p for New York deli sandwiches as well.

I should have stayed for the bread, but they were a bit ,ate with the reductions today.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back