Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Just hoping
Exp
No experience
We have been considering many layouts, but as the size of the bathroom is perhaps more important are we right in looking at end washroom types? One of us is rather portly and room to shower and to er you know, attend to the call of nature would be paramount.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The best idea when buying any van is to spend half a hour in it without the salesperson stand in the shower, image what it would be like in it on a rainy day, if it feels comfortable, and it's got the storage and payload you want, then worth your consideration.
Good luck with your search.

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
End wash room was important for us, first we had a Bessacarr E745 & currently a sprinter based Autotrail Mohican, the trouble is end wash room's seem to be out of fashion on new or newer Motorhomes, good luck with you search (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Crumbs you ducks are taking over the forum ;) ..... you will never find one that meets ALL your needs .. so if the bathroom your priority just concentrate on that or you will spend months walking round vans getting carried away. Hint: look at the depth of the sink and slope .... is it going to leave you with a soaking floor when you wash your hands or face.... mine does:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
To some extent depends what size van you are seeking and what budget you are working to.

Our last van - only 6m long - had a large bathroom across the width of the MH at the back. It was a Chausson Flash S2.

Described in magazine reviews as more typical of the size of a bathroom in a large RV.

The model was only manufactured for two seasons 2010 & 2011. We owned ours for 5 years, travelled all over the continent and loved it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Agree with @Carol , get in there and sit and stand and lie down everywhere you can, squirm about as you would when using all said sitting, standing & lying areas :rolleyes: Sit up as if for dinner, lounge about as if watching TV, read a bit, have a chat, move about as if cooking, and pretend putting things in all of the cupboards & drawers both inside and out.
Had a Bessy E454 and though it didn't have an end washroom, it was a very good size - though I suppose it depends how "portly" you mean :)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With an end washroom you either don't get a garage or a very small one. Our requirerments are a decent shower as we use it every day we are in the van and a good sized garage, also do not like pinch points in the van where you can't get past each other.
Recently completed our maidan voyage in our new van, a 4 week trip to France, we made the right decision very pleased with the layout, van is a Hymer B678 Dynamic Line.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The Burstner Elegance with rear washroom right across the back is nice .. hope @beerdrinker1 might come on and confirm .... and at the cheaper end I LOVED my old Eldiss ... loads of room in the bathroom ...I paid 23000 for it and it was one year old..immaculate.

Upvote 0

Shoeless

Free Member
May 17, 2017
Aberdaron
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenza
Exp
Since 2015
We have a bathroom which is three quarters of the way down the motorhome. This puts it between the U-Rear lounge and the kitchen dinette. The significance of this is that the bathroom is over the real wheel arch.

This, we have found, is a real problem. If one is showering then things aren't too bad but for me, an ex-second row forward, it means that sitting on the throne is a complete nightmare as I am all cramped up and it's worse if I am, er, all cramped up.

We've seen bathrooms that go along the whole width of the rear and they do appeal to us. As do those which have the bathrooms in the back corner next to a French bed. But, as it's been said before, it's a personal choice but there is one peice of advice that I would like to give and that if the motorhome that you're looking at has a bathroom over the rear wheel arch then consider the implications again.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a bathroom which is three quarters of the way down the motorhome. This puts it between the U-Rear lounge and the kitchen dinette. The significance of this is that the bathroom is over the real wheel arch.
This, we have found, is a real problem. If one is showering then things aren't too bad but for me, an ex-second row forward, it means that sitting on the throne is a complete nightmare as I am all cramped up and it's worse if I am, er, all cramped up.
One big advantages of vans with a double floor either no intrusion (as in our van) or only a small one.

Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
As others have said it depends on the length of the vehicle. In our previous van which was a PVC (IH630FL) we had rear bathroom which was huge but it was a wet room. Maybe opting for a wet room would give you the space you needed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mrs.Mallard

Mrs.Mallard

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Just hoping
Exp
No experience

We've seen bathrooms that go along the whole width of the rear and they do appeal to us. As do those which have the bathrooms in the back corner next to a French bed. But, as it's been said before, it's a personal choice but there is one peice of advice that I would like to give and that if the motorhome that you're looking at has a bathroom over the rear wheel arch then consider the implications again.

Not much idea of how these blooming forums work but just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your blog!

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh yes. Don't just sit on the toilet. Bend forward as though pulling your trousers up!

Sudacrem is good for bruises on your forehead. :(

Upvote 0

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Several continentals offer full width end bathroom, we run a 2007 Dethleffs 7014 with end bathroom, excellent space like an en suite, also makes inside of van feel larger as minimal intermediate projections. We are in Wakefield if u want a look round.

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Our first MH had a amidships WC one side and the shower on the other which we thought would be great as the WC door could be used to close off the front area while a plastic concertina door closed off the bedroom but in reality it was not workable so we since bought rear washroom layout and think it is one of the best decisions we made

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ours has a rear washroom with plenty of room, main reason we got it. Unfortunately not made any more. (Rapido 999M)
It has no garage but has a huge locker under the fixed bed, and a ski locker in the rear corner ideal for long items.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ours has a full width bathroom before the bedroom so you still get the big garage, there is a door from the Kitchen/Lounge to the bathroom and then another door to the bedroom but having no doors in the bathroom to shut off the loo or shower means that there is loads of room for pulling your pants up/down, getting dried/dressed, full length mirror, wardrobe etc etc.

Martin

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We had an Autotrail Cheyenne 635 2006 model with full width rear washroom /shower that was about the biggest you can get they don't seem to make that style these days .

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ours has a huge washroom and short chauson flash 10 but no good if you weigh a lot as a couple as the drop down bed has quite a low weight limit.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have been considering many layouts, but as the size of the bathroom is perhaps more important are we right in looking at end washroom types? One of us is rather portly and room to shower and to er you know, attend to the call of nature would be paramount.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks
Spend a few years in a pop top and any size bath room will appear huge.(y)

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our first MH loo was so small (or me too big) that when sat down on the job my knees would push open the door that had no lock just a magnet, opening out and temporarily unreachable o_Oo_O

Since that we literally sit down on any potential loo, and metaphorically go through the motions, try reaching the toilet paper while sat, try wiping :eek:, do the doors fit round your legs? all seem trivial but not if you get it wrong

we now have a centre loo opposite shower and a door that closes off the back of the MH, although that leaves you open to the bed, albeit round the corner, but also has a sliding door to close off, but then I don't fit inside again

a serious issue and very well worth serious consideration (y)(y)

Upvote 0

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Enjoyed reading all your inputs....
Ours is an back end bathroom, and quite the opposite of claustrophobic, I think the large window helps, and having lost a few kilos myself now, well, I could perform a ballet in the loo or the shower compartment.
Being a stickler for health now that I have an autoimmune condition myself (yes, the full whack as described above, no sugar, no packaged foods, no gluten, no lactose, no chemicals, mostly organic, 80% veg..... well, weight loss is garanteed, and we both seriously enjoy our 'pure' food now that we are used to it), I suppose what I am saying so clumsily is that "being portly" isn't a good investment for the future, and if I can fit like a nymph into the bathroom, anyone can.
Note: no criticism intended, just mean to encourage. I'm so glad I did this and am grateful to my illness as it meant I had no choice but to slim down and put myself first. Another benefit: I never argue with better half as this only encourages those nasty antibodies. So spacious MH bathroom and lots of peace and harmony are a given!

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
no sugar, no packaged foods, no gluten, no lactose, no chemicals, mostly organic, 80% veg
Hope you don't mind my asking Paddyfrog, what makes up your other 20%? And do you take vit/min supplements? (PM me if you'd prefer as I don't want to hijack the thread.)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back