The new boy - seat bely help required please (1 Viewer)

Hurricane J

Free Member
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy now
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good evening all, i hope this finds you well. Many thanks for approving my registration.

We have hired a motorhome a couple of times and now feel it's time to take the plunge.

Have been looking at a couple of "Swift Bolero 712SB" 2013 and 2015 models and have a query regarding the number of seat belts legally required.

The layout of this model appears to suit what we are looking for and prefer the 2 side facing double seats, behind the driver/passenger seats so we can make up the dining table easier.

Our understanding is this layout "does not" allow for any seat belts on the passengers seats, and they cannot be retro fitted. Our reading of the legalities are this layout is a 4 berth but can only legally carry 2 people when moving?

In principle we are fine with this as it will most likely only be my wife and i who are using it, however i am afraid that it may be less attractive to a family when we go to sell it. Could it also be that if legislation changes in the future it won't comply?

Any feedback on the legislation, proposed change of legislation, saleability etc would be appreciated.

Given we are just dipping our toe in the water we are slight reluctant to spend more that c. £35,000 - £40,000 initially.

In addition, the "front facing" passenger seats don't really suit us.

PS..i am 6'4" so the easier the layout the better

Kind regards

Alistair

OP
OP
H

Hurricane J

Free Member
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy now
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for that M-J, any concerns about the seat belts? Just wondered how we stood if carrying passengers w/o seatbelts in the event of an accident

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Sounds like you have done your homework. 👍 Correct on all points ref the seatbelts.
You might be shocked by how many buy a van and then come on here asking how to fit extra seat belts. :doh:

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Good evening all, i hope this finds you well. Many thanks for approving my registration.

We have hired a motorhome a couple of times and now feel it's time to take the plunge.

Have been looking at a couple of "Swift Bolero 712SB" 2013 and 2015 models and have a query regarding the number of seat belts legally required.

The layout of this model appears to suit what we are looking for and prefer the 2 side facing double seats, behind the driver/passenger seats so we can make up the dining table easier.

Our understanding is this layout "does not" allow for any seat belts on the passengers seats, and they cannot be retro fitted. Our reading of the legalities are this layout is a 4 berth but can only legally carry 2 people when moving?

In principle we are fine with this as it will most likely only be my wife and i who are using it, however i am afraid that it may be less attractive to a family when we go to sell it. Could it also be that if legislation changes in the future it won't comply?

Any feedback on the legislation, proposed change of legislation, saleability etc would be appreciated.

Given we are just dipping our toe in the water we are slight reluctant to spend more that c. £35,000 - £40,000 initially.

In addition, the "front facing" passenger seats don't really suit us.

PS..i am 6'4" so the easier the layout the better

Kind regards

Alistair
I think you’ll find there is a huge market for couples only MHs, they are classified as four berth to give adaptability,and more room,I wouldn’t worry too much about resale value,,just do your homework and decide what suits you not the other way round,,happy hunting.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks for that M-J, any concerns about the seat belts? Just wondered how we stood if carrying passengers w/o seatbelts in the event of an accident
Would you drive your car along a motorway at 70Mph with your kids in the back not wearing seatbelts....?

a motorhome is no different..... they’ll still come flying pass you when you hit the car/lorry in front of you...

I’m not being personal but it gets me that I’ve read many times on here that because the vehicle they are driving feels like their front room There’s no need for seatbelts...:doh: in fact the results would be Far worse then in a car....😳

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hurricane J

Free Member
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy now
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Just Smiffy, thanks for your feedback..my thoughts entirely, hence my post. Maybe im missing something but its the fact they can be sold with only 2 seat belts, but can sleep/carry 3-6. It doesnt make sense.

Upvote 0

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Hi Just Smiffy, thanks for your feedback..my thoughts entirely, hence my post. Maybe im missing something but its the fact they can be sold with only 2 seat belts, but can sleep/carry 3-6. It doesnt make sense.

They assume you may have visitors that could stay over, also some couples may want the option for a double bed each.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I know mate .., mines the other way round 4 belts and sleeps two.. well 3 really but you wouldn’t want a third..

but as others have said it’s a good combination your thinking of buying and if you have someone stay with you then they drive there own vehicle to meet you, trust me it’ll probably be better that way..😉😁

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hurricane J

Free Member
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy now
Exp
I'm a newbie
Cheers JS, yip i can understand all of that. I guess thats why you buy a motorhome..to get away from everyone and meet new friends! Thanks again, much appreciated.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Cheers JS, yip i can understand all of that. I guess thats why you buy a motorhome..to get away from everyone and meet new friends! Thanks again, much appreciated.
Have you looked at the classified section on here...? There’s some good vans on there.... plus you know where they’ve come From..👍🏼 Good luck

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
:ello:

You can't it is illegal post 2007.& your van is .
but can sleep/carry 3-6. It doesnt make sense.
It can sleep as many as you want but it cannot carry more than there is belts for post 2007.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The law is a bit slack still about carrying unbelted passengers, but it does state that they should use designated seats fitted with restraints and not inward facing benches

The layout you like is popular but not practical for more than 2 people. If you look at the usage figures, most motorhomes are owned and used by older couples, so 2 seatbelts is fine. If the grandkids want to come along drive them separately in a car

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Ha ha like us 6 berth with belts only ever used 2 that was 1 driver and 1 passenger, on the whole most folk who buy this type of van are retired couples with only the odd exception to the norm, no offence ment tonka 🙂

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hurricane J

Free Member
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy now
Exp
I'm a newbie
Quick thank you to all for your very helpful feedback, much appreciated. I think i know where im going now. Just wanted to try and futrure proof a bit, given its our first purchase. Thanks again, might even catch up one day(y)

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ours has 4 forward facing belted seats. Oh plus one rear facing with a lap belt. The fwd ones have been used precisely once and the 3rd, never! But we've only had it 7 years .....

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Check the payload - that's a long and very wide MH so you need to know for sure what is already 'on' each axle so you can tell if it has enough capacity left to take your chattels.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We have the earlier model (680FB) of the van you're looking at. We went for the twin facing benches after hiring a Chauson with dinette type seats which we found claustrophobic, as our plan always was to have plenty of personal space when we did our intended longer trips.

As such our "extra" two berths have never been used, which was always our intention anyway. It was simply a feature of the van that suited us best - and we're still more than happy about it 11 years later!

Do check your payload though - we easily went over the MAUW without being silly about what we carried so upgraded it to 3850kg. I believe that's a manufacturers option on the latest models.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Our rapido has side facing seats for the table and due to clever design converts to 2 front facing belted seats. some eldis models have a simular design with forward facing chairs stored in the side facing benches.

Edit
Cant help with your bely problem, a bit bold i know but have you tried a diet.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
You are right it doesn't make sense but stems fro before seatbelts in the back were a legal requirement. Manufacturers and dealers are now marketing as sleeps x no seatbelts x no much better for those looking to buy. your type of layout is more sociable than a front dinette but we need the extra seatbelts for when we take the grandchildren. miss our 6 berth with 6 seatbelts rear lounge and dinette, but not as much as I would miss our garage.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ha ha like us 6 berth with belts only ever used 2 that was 1 driver and 1 passenger, on the whole most folk who buy this type of van are retired couples with only the odd exception to the norm, no offence ment tonka 🙂

Oi. !! Just a reminder that I am now the owner of a shiny gold Burstner. The watertrail went over a year ago 😉😁

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Our old PVC had 3 belted seats plus a bench. We did use the bench to carry passengers, because of the registration date we were allowed, but only for very short local journeys. Never at speed, and never out of town. We nearly bought a 4 berth MoHo but pulled out when we found only 2 belted seats

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hurricane J

Free Member
Jun 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy now
Exp
I'm a newbie
Our rapido has side facing seats for the table and due to clever design converts to 2 front facing belted seats. some eldis models have a simular design with forward facing chairs stored in the side facing benches.

Edit
Cant help with your bely problem, a bit bold i know but have you tried a diet.
LOL - i have to say i have trid to edit that title .. without success though.

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Ours has eight seat belts. Four forward facing, two rearward facing and two sideways facing. As, now, it only has to sleep the two of us six of them have been taken out, leaving only the driver and suicide seat. When it goes for it's MOT, the tester never asks where the belts are because he does not recognise them as travel seats, and he's right. :gum:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back