The Iconic tree at Sycamore Gap felled. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
The local community and beyond and worldwide by some reports are outraged and upset by the senseless act, what a sad day.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
That does not look like the work of one 16 year old boy .
It didn’t look like that to me either.
Whoever did that knew how to use a chainsaw!
From the news footage I seen there was a gob cut into the trunk and the actual cut itself was the work of someone used to using a chainsaw!
Just my opinion🤔 I worked in the woods for three years in the late 60s with Lowther and Carruthers and my late uncle Bob Thomson.
DJT

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
From the news footage I seen there was a gob cut into the trunk and the actual cut itself was the work of someone used to using a chainsaw!
Just my opinion🤔 I worked in the woods for three years in the late 60s with Lowther and Carruthers and my late uncle Bob Thomson.
DJT
I totally agree. That was well organised. Would have involved a vehicle driven up there carrying the chain and other equipment. Extremely professional and clean cut for a 16 year old . He must have started his forestry job at the age of 10.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Most folk are treating this like a rape attack.

Can you rate this out of ten on this scale

1. Looking at a child.

5 hurting a child

10 Assaulting a child

Is a tree so important. I really want to understand

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It is a very poor cut; no professional would have done it that badly. Why would the they have required a vehicle to get there?

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
It is a very poor cut; no professional would have done it that badly. Why would the they have required a vehicle to get there?
Because leaving the scene and openly carrying a chainsaw might be deemed as slightly suspicious.
What did you think made it a bad job , in terms of the cut ?

Reactions: DJT

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
DJT

The back cut is shockingly bad. It should be higher than the notch cut.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Because leaving the scene and openly carrying a chainsaw might be deemed as slightly suspicious.
What did you think made it a bad job , in terms of the cut ?
A chainsaw could easily be accommodated in a bag which would be less obvious than a vehicle going there.

The back cut should be higher than the notch cut to stop the tree sliding back on the stump and hitting the chainsaw operator

P27_1.jpg

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Most folk are treating this like a rape attack.

Can you rate this out of ten on this scale

1. Looking at a child.

5 hurting a child

10 Assaulting a child

Is a tree so important. I really want to understand
Of course hurting children is more serious and rightly the murder of a 15 year old in Croydon is headlining the news today (mostly, there are exceptions). However landscapes and trees also play an important part in the lives of many and contribute to their sense of well being. People attach important memories to special locations such as the Sycamore Gap hence the spreading of ashes and proposals that have taken place there.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
And what will the little s*%t get for the charge of criminal damage ? Not enough for me that’s for sure. If I had the nod on things, he would get 10 years for that and no early release either. 🤬🤬🤬🤬😭

Apr 2, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2002
I heard an interesting comment on one news broadcast to the effect that Sycamore trees were regularly coppiced in the past, throwing up new shoots after cutting back. It could be that the stump is still alive and will throw up new growth in the spring. Maybe better and faster than planting a new tree….

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I heard an interesting comment on one news broadcast to the effect that Sycamore trees were regularly coppiced in the past, throwing up new shoots after cutting back. It could be that the stump is still alive and will throw up new growth in the spring. Maybe better and faster than planting a new tree….
That has been mentioned in a news report so fingers x.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Lovely tree in a lovely setting, must have animals grazing there cos sycamores spread and grow like weeds.
Had some next to my home, pollarded to almost bare trunks - a couple of years later bigger than ever.
Isn't it time these teenagers were named and shamed?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Coppicing or pollarding might give rise to rapid growth but neither will result in a mature tree with an iconic silhouette on the skyline.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
There is talk of putting a replacement tree in the same area... it would be semi mature and look better than the coppiced regrowth but it would take decades to look close to the tree that was cut down.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
That timber will realise a significant sum if merchandised the correct way which could be ploughed back into some form of legacy.
Or given to a kid's orphanage where it will be better spent.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Second arrest 60 year old man
Sycamore Gap tree destroyed LIVE: Police make second arrest after Northumberland landmark 'felled'
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/new...e-northumberland-live-27801497?utm_source=app

It’s good to see the Police have enough resources to investigate the tree felling.

I hope they have the same resources to investigate any local burglaries, thefts or break ins.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back