The Iconic tree at Sycamore Gap felled. (3 Viewers)

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Don't use Gormley for a tree, this was his effort of a man in Plymouth!

Gormley Man.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Let's hope they get caught a feel the full force of the law ..hanging would be too good ..

Anyone involved in the illegal felling of trees can be punishable with unlimited fines and prison sentences from 1 January 2023.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Let's hope they get caught a feel the full force of the law ..hanging would be too good ..

Anyone involved in the illegal felling of trees can be punishable with unlimited fines and prison sentences from 1 January 2023.

Trouble is that whatever the penalty for the perpetrator, it can never replace what's been destroyed.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Trouble is that whatever the penalty for the perpetrator, it can never replace what's been destroyed.
like many other crimes.. the punishment doesn't undo the harm caused, but gives small comfort to the grieving and may deter others ..

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Local suggestion is for a metal tree sculpture and it has some support
That would be brilliant, but I would also plant a small avenue of trees as well if the ground would support it.

Maddening when things like this happens. Really should be 10 years in prison for something like this with no time off for good behaviour.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Car parking in the central section of the wall covering a lot of miles is in secluded quite isolated car parks some favoured by wilding Motorhomes.
My goodness that makes it even more bewildering, who would have such a motive?
Looking at the Media images l would suggest a handsaw of some description was used as there doesn’t appear to be sawdust thrown out that you would get with a chainsaw, therefore,the item could be hidden and carried quire easily.

l wonder if there’s any historical damage to the tree.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
A sixteen year-old had been arrested in connection with the felling…….

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We’ll look at this BBC news;

A 16-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with the felling of one of the UK's most iconic trees.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My goodness that makes it even more bewildering, who would have such a motive?
Looking at the Media images l would suggest a handsaw of some description was used as there doesn’t appear to be sawdust thrown out that you would get with a chainsaw, therefore,the item could be hidden and carried quire easily.

l wonder if there’s any historical damage to the tree.
A handsaw would have taken a long time and would have had to be wider than the tree...it would have been easier to hide a chainsaw.

Ps. One of the images shown on the BBC has a pale area close enough to the stump to suggest it comprised of wood chips.... And they were far enough from the stump to suggest to me that it was cut with a chainsaw. Badly, I add. Not cut by someone who has been trained but probably someone who has watched someone else use a chainsaw.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Woah. Hanging for murder maybe.
But not a tree

How about walking on cracks in the pavement? Publicly flogged?

10 years hard labour for late library books?

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The original linked article didn't have a picture of it when it was standing so although I was angered by the felling I didn't fully understand the situation. Just seen this picture on the BBC and now fully get it.

Just in case anyone else hasn't seen a picture of it when it was alive in full glory.

1695915523358.png

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The original linked article didn't have a picture of it when it was standing so although I was angered by the felling I didn't fully understand the situation. Just seen this picture on the BBC and now fully get it.

Just in case anyone else hasn't seen a picture of it when it was alive in full glory.

View attachment 815513
There was a really nice one taken earlier this month with an aurora lighting up the sky behind the silhouetted tree.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Very upset by this, been to the wall a few times, never got to the tree.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Sadly having just Googled a map for Sycamore Gap, the result has been shocking to me at least, its already within hours referred to as Sycamore Stump! I guess thats what it will be named as from now.
Saddened by the news today, just when you think you have seen society do its worst deed over the years, something like this comes along.
LES

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
What is very odd is it's in the middle of nowhere.

It's about 10 miles to the nearest village, it's a good half mile from the nearest road and a couple of miles from the nearest house..

It's a long way to lug a big chain saw in the middle of the night. Plus fuel, plus lights.

And from what I can see of the cut, it looks like they have just gone straight through, not an angled cut like a tree surgeon would do.

I can only hope they find a body under the felled tree once it's cleared, as, with a cut like that, it would have been very difficult to predict the direction of fall, especially in the dark.
The way it was cut horizontally I am amazed the chain saw didn’t get jammed halfway through!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Unfortunately nothing outrageous surprises me anymore!

Would that the whole country could get excited about the woeful state of policing, the courts, pathetic sentencing rules etc so that something gets done to invoke a radical improvement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back