The French Hit Back! (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I would never wish to be controversial, but perhaps the willingness of the English language to assimilate other languages contributes to it's popularity

Au revoir I am just off to rendezvous with my family at a cafe

Reactions: DBK
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
A quote from the script of only fools and horses, that will hopefully give our French cousins something to smile about the English attitude to the French language. Certainly made me laugh

Strangers On The Shore (2002)
Del and Rodney are in France on their way to Uncle Albert's reunion.

Del One of my most favouritist meals is Duck à l'Orange, but I don't know how to say that in French.
Rodney It's canard.
Del You can say that again bruv!
Rodney No the French word for duck is canard.
Del Is it? I thought that was something to do with the QE2?
Rodney No that's Cunard. They're the ones with the boats and what have you. The French for duck is canard.
Del Right lovely jubbly. Right, so how do the French say à l'Orange then?
Rodney A l'Orange!
Del What, the same as we do?
Rodney Yes
Del Oh dear, it's a pity they don't use more of our words innit eh?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
There used to be a committee in France, and there may still be, which used to fight to preserve the French language from English influence. They were obviously having a day off when camping-car was adopted. :)

We need one of those to preserve the English language from Americanisms:confused:

Have a nice day:p

Reactions: DBK

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Michel Thomas (excellent relaxing language courses) says that 60% of the words in the English language are of French origin.
...and the other 60% are German, leaving 49% Latin.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
The word I don't understand is "talkie-walkie". Can anyone help?
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Quite funny that "déjà vu" . I had to say it with an English accent so the people I was talking to could understand me! Déjà vu pronounced by a French has no tonic accent by all means, and so an English person will just look at me this way::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: !!!

French has no tonic accent at all! Remember this when you want to try your French!
Go on google translation, type comfortable in the English box and ask for translation in french (which is confortable). Then click on the speaker in the english box, and then in the french one. You will hear both pronounciations. When you'll hear the difference , you might understand how French must be spoken

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Oh, no, no, no, non

If we have to tolerate English bastardised by the Americans, then you have to expect us to muck about mispronouncing your own lovely language

A very good French friend (my legal mentor as a student) once told me that she loved to hear the English speak French, that it was like listening to the sing song accent of the Welsh. Mind you, she also accused Ireland of being to England what Poland was to the rest of the world, so she was no diplomat

The Portuguese just laugh at my English mispronunciation of their language, especially if I use a (clean) kiddy slang word (e.g. slang "acabo", instead of acabado, meaning "finished"). Never fails to make them laugh, and that's never a bad thing. And most English love to hear a French accent. Well, I do

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back