The French Hit Back! (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Why do French road signs say 'STOP' in English? Often wondered that.

Why do you say Rendez vous? Can't you say something like Love appointement or Lover meet. You have the words. Rendez-vous is for LOVERS in French, AND for an APPOINTEMENT as well.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Why do you say Rendez vous? Can't you say something like Love appointement or Lover meet. You have the words. Rendez-vous is for LOVERS in French, AND for an APPOINTEMENT as well.
I guess the difference is we don't mind these French words in our language, but whoever put that sticker in place was trying to protect the purity of the French language. A noble aim but doomed to failure I fear. :)
But as I said earlier, this thread was only meant as a bit of fun to lighten the mood, given the grim news from the UK today. :(

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I don't mind either having English or German or Latin or even Arabian words popping up now and then. I use arabian words in my everyday language as I was brought up hearing it all the time. I'm a bit more fussy with French Grammar as I am supposed to be a technician of French language which has been the main subject along all my studies at University of Languages. But what I found funny and silly is the hard work put on the use of the camping-car word while they don't realise the so many anglicisms they use.....What about our every working day "sandwich"? LOL !!!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
New Forest dwellers call KFC......

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are £20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

images_6.jpg

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You'd be amazed to see the many many many words English language has taken from French.

Not to mention place names. I went to school in Kibworth Beauchamp. The next village was called Kibworth Harcourt. Down the road, Newton Harcourt. Not far away Carlton Curlieu.

My recent ancestors lived in Ashby de la Zouch, to the north of Leicester.

All down to those pesky Normans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I live just down the road from the Kibworths, in the Italian influenced Stretton Magna aka Great Stretton. B----y Romans, what did they ever do for us?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I love the fact that the French don't appear to have a word for 'cheap' ... stuff is often described as moins cher (less dear) ... :D

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I live just down the road from the Kibworths, in the Italian influenced Stretton Magna aka Great Stretton. B----y Romans, what did they ever do for us?

Small world - I grew up in Glen 'Magna'. If I'm not very much mistaken the Romans put a ruddy great motorway through your part of the world and your village was named after it. Improving the infrastructure so to speak. PS: Do you know where to find loads of Ammonite fossils not very far from your place? I do. ;)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I love the fact that the French don't appear to have a word for 'cheap' ... stuff is often described as moins cher (less dear) ... :D

Abordable, Avantageux , Bon marché
It's just easier to say pas cher, especially for the lazy gits lol!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Why do French road signs say 'STOP' in English? Often wondered that.

The only time I was pulled over by Police in France was for failing to stop at sign saying STOP in English. The road either side was clear of traffic to the horizon, but STOP means STOP.

Michel Thomas (excellent relaxing language courses) says that 60% of the words in the English language are of French origin.

.and let's not get started on how many have Scandinavian and Germanic origins, especially the names of our towns and villages, and not a few of our favourite rude words.

I don't mind either having English or German or Latin or even Arabian words popping up now and then. I use arabian words in my everyday language as I was brought up hearing it all the time.

The main reason we don't do sums in Roman numerals any more is due to the Arabic mathematicians who devised our numeric system.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Welsh evolved from British, the Celtic language spoken by the ancient Britons. Alternatively classified as Insular Celtic or P-Celtic, it probably arrived in Britain during the Bronze Age or Iron Age..

Cue mental image of the original stone axe wielding inhabitants of what is now Llandudno muttering and grumbling about Celtic speaking migrant workers arriving in droves to dig that strange bluey-green stuff out of what is now the Great Orme. "Heating it up and pouring it into these new-fangled mould things, I ask you? What's wrong with the traditional stone-working skills of our fathers? Just a fad - it'll never catch on. And they worship strange Gods and don't talk proper like what we do."

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Interesting that because KFC is now the official name of the company (not Kentucky...) the same as BP and BT are no longer British... In that case the name should be changed back to KFC :)
Little boy asks his grandad " can we go to McDonalds grandad? Grandad says " we can if you can spell it son". Little lad has a think about it, "Oh flip it then we'll go to KFC" :D2

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I think it was Mitterrand who, concerned at the level of English phrases and nouns, demanded that the French universities created new words to replace the incursive English. So Le Fortnight became "quinze jours", computer became Le Ordinateur etc, they still have a much weaker vocabulary than English however!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
That' demonstrates the weakness, so a sentence in English become a paragraph in French!

Reactions: DBK

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
If you order a drink of 1664, that liquid refreshment that you may or may not like and is sold in bars, then getting you brain round 'Sixteen sixty four' has been helped by every barman in France understanding 'Sez' means you're thirsty and will serve said drink.

Love the French.

Reactions: DBK
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I think it was Mitterrand who, concerned at the level of English phrases and nouns, demanded that the French universities created new words to replace the incursive English. So Le Fortnight became "quinze jours", computer became Le Ordinateur etc, they still have a much weaker vocabulary than English however!

I can assure you we never said Computer or Fortnight in our vocabulary. I have never ever heard anyone around me when computeurs became an everyday reality, say anything else but ordinateur.
But we did have "walkman" , and the whole idea came from that point. Why would we say walkman? So we had a huge competition to find new french words for the new technology which just arrived . All the English names were CREATED because the new technology was coming MAINLY from China or Japan, and some from America too.

Walkman became Baladeur.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
"Camping-car" (whilst the actual words are English) is not really used in England - we use Motor home, Caravanette, Campervan, Camper or even Dormobile though it was really only applicable to Bedfords but not Camping-car.

I have only seen the term used in France (perhaps used elsewhere in Europe but I have not come across it)

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
You'd be amazed to see the many many many words English language has taken from French.

Or "l’anglais n’est que du français mal prononcé" as Dumas wrote... but, unlike French, English has continued to evolve and grow. In fact the French emphasis on keeping the language static seems to have led to something that is more like medieval English in it's structure. We might have the occasional whinge about how Americans mangle it, but actually it is because there isn't an Académie Française that English thrives.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
My French Canadian p.a. tells me that it is written in French so that the huskies can understand it

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Walkman became Baladeur.

Baladeurs surely Frankie,

I can assure you we never said Computer or Fortnight in our vocabulary.Walkman became Baladeur.

Frankie, my very dear girl, in Egland we have a saying -

...................."Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back