The Electric Future of Motorhomes and Camper Vans (1 Viewer)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Funny how most the folk negging Ev's dont have or havent owned one. Let alone the knowledge about what and where they are going.
it is usually what the read in a newspaper or hear down the pub = gossip, not knowledge

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Funny how most the folk negging Ev's dont have or havent owned one. Let alone the knowledge about what and where they are going.
it is usually what the read in a newspaper or hear down the pub = gossip, not knowledge
Nothing neg in my posts. I've been researching technical articles and peer-reviewed papers in the search for knowledge.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The vast majority can't afford to own an EV so negging them is to leave space for those that have no option but to keep their IC engine for while yet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I assume that with EV's (especially those kept out of doors) after plugging in the charging lead the heating pad will be initiated via an intelligent controller circuit for long enough to warm the battery before it permits charging to commence.
Bye that’s going backwards isn’t it? Having to warm up the valves before the tele will work😂😂😂. Still, some will call it progress.

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
EV's will be a laugh a minute up here in the Highlands.

Really? Try telling that to people I know that live in Scotland that have owned an EV since at least 2015, or indeed those that live in Finland, Sweden and Norway! They will be the ones laughing that anyone can be so blinkered. The fact is, people who want to find ways to use EVs in what may be challenging conditions, find ways to do so, whether that be in very cold driving conditions, a lack of public charging facilities or so called range anxienty.

Get over it guys, EVs are coming and in a decade's time the general consensus will be "what was all the fuss about". 😁👍

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Really? Try telling that to people I know that live in Scotland that have owned an EV since at least 2015, or indeed those that live in Finland, Sweden and Norway! They will be the ones laughing that anyone can be so blinkered. The fact is, people who want to find ways to use EVs in what may be challenging conditions, find ways to do so, whether that be in very cold driving conditions, a lack of public charging facilities or so called range anxienty.

Get over it guys, EVs are coming and in a decade's time the general consensus will be "what was all the fuss about". 😁👍

I think we all know they’re coming it’s just a shame that those of us that enjoy driving and enjoy cars will loose all that. Sure they’re better for the planet but boring. We’ve been lucky to have enjoyed our interest. Unfortunately we’ll be the last generation to have that.
We could very possibly be the last generation where the average earner can afford a car.

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
There will always be early adopters, enthusiasts, naysayers and luddites. Personally, I’m pretty open to exploring emerging and developing technology, even if the cost is higher and it’s less convenient… it’s a small price to help lessen our impact on this beautiful planet.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Quite recently became interested in a VW 1 ton transporter van, that was until the new vehicle range was disclosed, 83 miles total.
Yes I asked twice it's 83 miles total.
That is without stop start degradation.
No further comments required from me.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Some seem to consider private ownership is coming to an end, if that is there belief they are a little behind the curve.
From an article in the US.

The United Nations Agenda 21 plan of radical so-called ‘sustainable development’ views the American way of life of private property ownership, single family homes, private car ownership and individual travel choices, and privately owned farms; all as destructive to the environment.
The policy is being adopted broadly in our name it seems.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Mercedes Benz are now producing the e Actros electric truck with a range of up to 250 miles and all up weight up to 40t, when/if this trickles down to the smaller 7.5t truck I can see the luxury van producers in Germany offering an electric option, then it just comes down to charging infrastructure, the trucks running regular delivery routes from a central hub will be sorted but would it work for a motorhome? watch this space.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
EV's will be a laugh a minute up here in the Highlands.

Your main problem will be electricity infrastructure, particularly for fast charging, or where habitation doesn't have mains electricity (charging can be overnight, so overall max current capacity should be OK).

The cars themselves are actually very suited to remote mountainous terrain. No more enforced "popping" to Ullapool or Durness for petrol. You can have a full "tank" every morning. Electric vehicles are particularly efficient compared to ICE cars where there are lots of hills and bends due to their efficiency at kinetic energy recovery.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I just get fed up of EVs being marketed as the saviour of the planet. They aren't, and they are currently destroying it faster than existing IC engined vehicles. A change to fewer vehicles and travel of any kind is the way forwards however unpalatable this may be for us all.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
but boring
depends on your pov. Mine is the most exciting car Ive ever owned.

We could very possibly be the last generation where the average earner can afford a car.
here we go again with wrong stats, they will be cheaper to buy and cheaper to run. Already the same for like for like motors, and are hell of a lot quicker to build.
can you imagine the state of the economy if car prices were out of reach of the masses.

Oh and btw norway, icy little normay, was the first country where EVs made up more than 50% of all car sales

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Alreayd the same for like for like motors.
Sorry but £30,000 for a poxy little hatchback is not like for like...

They need to be half that to become 'Normal'.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry but £30,000 for a poxy little hatchback is not like for like...

They need to be half that to become 'Normal'.
dont be sorry, just tell me more ? you know like "stats" not "poxy" rants

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
dont be sorry, just tell me more ? you know like "stats" not "poxy" rants
No need for 'stats'.. Battery cars are still well overpriced. Fact.

I would like my wife to get one, but unfortunately have to use our own money.

There are many thousands of car owners who rely on vehicles costing a third of the price of little EV hatchback things, what will happen to them?

... but then what do you care, you have yours so that's fine.

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
I think we all know they’re coming it’s just a shame that those of us that enjoy driving and enjoy cars will loose all that. Sure they’re better for the planet but boring.

There speaks a person who has not driven a decent EV very far. As I have said on a previous thread, I have owned many of the powerful cars that make lots of voorrm voorrm noises (Jaguar Mk 2, Saab 900 turbo and 9000 turbo, Alfa Romeo Alfa Sud Sprint etc) and at one time was driving 100k miles a year. Like yourself, I love driving (perhaps not so much now given the extent of the traffic) but to avoid any doubt, there are several models of EVs already on the road that are a very real pleasure to drive, they most certainly are not boring, Morris Marinas were boring, I know, I borrowed one for a few days from a mate 😂.

Like any car market, there are already EVs that will out accelerate and outdrive most, if not all ICE performance cars, and there slow and easy EV family cars for the majority of the population that want that sort of transport. The range is increasing almost daily as varoius manufacterers produce new models. Oh and by the way, you can even get EVs that will make voorrm voorrm noises if that is what turns you on!

However, to get back to the OP's original post, it was about EV MHs, and that in my opinion sector will also catch up with emerging demand in the next year or two. As usual, a few early adopters will get one and find out all the issues and problems by using the rig, so that the manufacturers will be able to modify accordingly, and the masses benefit, as was the case for EV cars over the last decade.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
You are right fossil fuel won't disappear but the price to TAX and purchase it will become prohibitive.

The total ban on new ICE vehicles is only 9 years away.
Only 9 years to build the entire infrastructure to charge all of these EV's ?
Never going to happen,
Plus:
the cost of EV's is so prohibitive that only people with a lot of spare cash can afford them
Range is still an issue for any use other than shopping or commuting, a holiday across or along the country will present re-charging problems.
Why is synthetic fuel not being investigated and developed
Why is high polluting air travel still being encouraged,
Why are diesel powered ships still being used
why do government ministers still use ICE powered cars to travel just a few metres, in London
World leaders all flying around the world for meetings / summits etc, they should be using Zoom, etc, and set an example to those they are dictating to
Joe

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
can you imagine the state of the economy if car prices were out of reach of the masses.
That is where the Green agenda is taking us. It is fairly obvious that private car ownership will gradually become out of reach of the masses, as pre-2030 ICE cars reach end of life and there are fewer affordable EVs to replace them with. The cost of lithium batteries may be reducing but the cost of the necessary infrastructure is heading in the opposite direction. A potential scenario could be most people having to lease cheaper quadricycles instead of cars, such as the new Citroen Ami EV (range 45 miles, top speed 29 mph on sale here in 2022 for around £7k). Or join carshare clubs like those that are quite popular in London.

I tend to agree with Clipgate and glenn2926 on UN Agenda 2021/2030 and what has been decided for future generations. Ours could be the last generation to enjoy unlimited freedom to travel.

Your main problem will be electricity infrastructure

I heard one expert engineer say that to achieve global Net Zero by 2050 one of the fundamental problems is that the necessary infrastructure requires the world to produce double the total quantity of copper that has been produced since the industrial revolution began, in less than 20 years. The damage to the environment to achieve the green revolution is immense. See: The Dark Side of Green Energy - a documentary made in 2020 that is being broadcast from time to time.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
There speaks a person who has not driven a decent EV very far. As I have said on a previous thread, I have owned many of the powerful cars that make lots of voorrm voorrm noises (Jaguar Mk 2, Saab 900 turbo and 9000 turbo, Alfa Romeo Alfa Sud Sprint etc) and at one time was driving 100k miles a year. Like yourself, I love driving (perhaps not so much now given the extent of the traffic) but to avoid any doubt, there are several models of EVs already on the road that are a very real pleasure to drive, they most certainly are not boring, Morris Marinas were boring, I know, I borrowed one for a few days from a mate 😂.

Like any car market, there are already EVs that will out accelerate and outdrive most, if not all ICE performance cars, and there slow and easy EV family cars for the majority of the population that want that sort of transport. The range is increasing almost daily as varoius manufacterers produce new models. Oh and by the way, you can even get EVs that will make voorrm voorrm noises if that is what turns you on!

However, to get back to the OP's original post, it was about EV MHs, and that in my opinion sector will also catch up with emerging demand in the next year or two. As usual, a few early adopters will get one and find out all the issues and problems by using the rig, so that the manufacturers will be able to modify accordingly, and the masses benefit, as was the case for EV cars over the last decade.
I remember all this similar early enthusiasm and claims for diesel engines/vehicles, and that 'ended' well?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Electric cars are coming slowly slowly and I think the infrastructure is growing with the demand, OK some rural areas might not be well served yet but that is a cost of living out the back of beyond, as far as EV motorhomes that will come as well on the back of electrification of the LGV and HGV markets which will surely be driven by more and more Clean Air Zone charging schemes, like cars the charging infrastructure will evolve to serve the transport market but that could leave the motorhome users a bit out in the cold.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I think we all know they’re coming it’s just a shame that those of us that enjoy driving and enjoy cars will loose all that. Sure they’re better for the planet but boring.
Indeed. Probably why people with central heating install wood burning stoves.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
As some of you know, I've been involved with EVs for the last few months but after our recent rejection of a newly released Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate 73Kw, I/we have now decided to happily settle for a nice petrol/diesel car for a few more years until we attempt (or are forced) to do the whole leccy-thing again.

The following info may be of interest to some of you since the Hyundai is supposed to be a big deal in the EV world (*).........

........The first caravaners have already started buying the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and one owner has just reported back his initial findings:

1. Published range of car: 300 miles.

2. Weight of caravan: 1,300kg.

3. Established range when towing: 124 miles.

4. Temperature when towing: 10-14C.

5. Estimated towing range at 0 Celsius: 100 miles.

6. Range of car 'only' at 0C: 200-215 miles.

To cap it all off but the UK charging network is still fairly naff and needs a whole load of development before an EV becomes the perfect commuter vehicle.

(*) EVs are like laptops, i.e. you buy a top spec model and then a month later it is out of date and under spec'd.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
As some of you know, I've been involved with EVs for the last few months but after our recent rejection of a newly released Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate 73Kw, I/we have now decided to happily settle for a nice petrol/diesel car for a few more years until we attempt (or are forced) to do the whole leccy-thing again.

The following info may be of interest to some of you since the Hyundai is supposed to be a big deal in the EV world (*).........

........The first caravaners have already started buying the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and one owner has just reported back his initial findings:

To cap it all off but the UK charging network is still fairly naff and needs a whole load of development before an EV becomes the perfect commuter vehicle.

(*) EVs are like laptops, i.e. you buy a top spec model and then a month later it is out of date and under spec'd.
I recently had a chance to talk to a caravan club member who tows with a Polestar 3 AWD
And his experiences were very similar with his range just over 100-110 miles with a 1450kg Bailey caravan in tow
Longer journeys towing were difficult and took a lot of planning .

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

How does a caravanner use a public charging point with caravan on tow? These things are designed for cars only.

Similar practical limitations will restrict the ability of EV motorhomes to use the public charging network. Anything bigger than my 5.4m PVC needs a dedicated large charging bay. Would that involve competing with HGVs for use of EV truck charging infrastructure? Would EV MHs be allowed access at all? The software probably would recognise that the vehicle isn't a HGV and fail to connect.

Meanwhile how are the 1st generation BEV vans such as the growing Amazon fleet coping with practical limitations on range and charging? It would be interesting to find out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back