The devil is in the detail.... Insurance. (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Nikki is busy sorting our insurance out for our short hop to France in a few weeks.

i told her not to bother it's all a waste of time, just take Credit cards etc, use the e111, but she insisted on being repatriated when she gets badly sunburned. :roflmto:

So reading through the policy she came across this,.

Hello

I am looking at taking out your 'Cheaper Travel Single Trip Saver (EUR) insurance policy, but before I proceed could you clarify on an apparent anomaly in your terms and conditions regarding Section C Personal Belongings and baggage.

Your policy wording states:

We will not cover the following.

4 Any loss or theft of money or valuables left in an unattended

motor vehicle at any time.

15 Property you leave unattended (other than in your locked

accommodation).

As I will be travelling and residing in a motorhome this would appear to be contradictory as it is a motor vehicle but is also my accommodation. Could you look into and clarify please if valuables left in the motorhome (while locked) would be covered.

Regards

Mrs

The response is simply

Dear Mrs

Thank you for contacting Insureandgo Insurance Services Ltd. Unfortunately, we have to confirm that we will class your motor home as a vehicle and therefore, the exclusion under paragraph 4 will apply.

4. Any loss or theft of money or valuables left in an unattended

motor vehicle at any time.

Should you require any further information then please do not hesitate to contact us at Customer Services.

Yours sincerely

Russel Smith

Another waste of time with Insurance. Much better adding things like Camera's etc to the House hold insurance and then not bothering with Travel insurance at all. I mean, its not like I might miss our flight is it? I have breakdown cover, an e111, What is the point of Insurance for Motorhomers?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I keep saying this but will repeat it ....... the Repatriation expenses!

Jaws can confirm this one, as it happened to a guy who runs the Bikers Oracle webspace that BIRD runs on (tech terms night be a bit off but you get the gist)

Any way, 'Wiz' had a terrible road accident where he was very seriously injured and quite happily being treated in the hospital wherever in Europe it was, only to find his travel insurers turned down the claim cos they said motorcycling was classed as a dangerous activity and therefore excluded. Luckily his wife recalled there might be some travel insurance attached to a bank account - phew; there was and he got repatriated with attendant medical personnel who were necessary. OK so you don't have a motorbike but the principle stands.

You have absolutely zilch idea of what 'might' happen in the worst case scenario, and what if it were the absolutely worst case scenario? Does one of you remortgage the house to pay for transport for the box. or what? cos the Life Assurance doesn't cough up that quick believe you me ...... :Doh:

You are correct about better off with the house insurance for your 'valuables', plus you have the squabbling issue to contend with these days too; ie the question which has always been there but in the past was never asked; ie is there 'more specific' insurance in force at the same time? Which is more specific in the holiday scenario, the home cover which specifies your toys or the holiday cover specific to the holiday? I haven't a clue ...... and there's no point in canvassing the membership of Fun for their opinion, unless they happen to work for all insurers and know for an absolute fact the exact answer all insurers will give! However, check the small print on your home cover - that may exclude loss of valuables from unattended vehicles an' all ........ best let yourself be mugged methinks ....... :Angry:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have gone with Insure&go for some years, for the health insurance i.e. repatriation, and a years multitrip is quite reasonable.

I never bothered with what else it might cover (or doesn't apparently)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You DO have to look at the details! Insurers are cutting cover without telling those buying or renewing policies - applies to travel, car, breakdown - everything!

Home contents, as suggested above is worth a look, as much of your normally household bits will be covered - might be worth looking into the club insurances and seeing what is and isn't covered there.

If all else fails, a local broker may sell you a tailored policy if it is worthwhile.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
See jenny here's the thing. If you look through things properly you manage to find out all sorts.
Ok, so we have found out we have health insurance through one of our Bank Accounts, never knew that. That will deal with repatriation, then of course there is the theft element, again check your details and you will probably find that attached to our property insurance, again check the details of your car insurance and see that you have free legal cover on your car insurance, yet again the insurance company when renewing your Motorhome will add it on automatically. We have 3 vechiles which equates to paying out nearly an extra ÂŁ90 per year when if you did not check the devil in the detail you would be screwed over again. Its very easy to just go for travel insurance because you always have, that was the old way of doing things. But look at your other policies, including your credit cards/bank accounts etc and you will see what your buying, you mostly have covered anyhow.
Insurance companies rely on us being thick. To thick to dispute anything, to Thick to understand anything and detail buried in to policies such as recovery for some people whom have bigger than than 3.5t van to find out they can't be recovered.

Its endless.

Check it out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back