Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Great info again...

Last time we went by ferry we bought our ticket outwards and then bought our return when we were ready. This allowed us to stay as little or long as we liked.

Can we do similar on the tunnel ?

Yes. That's what we do.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Yes you can book your return tunnel when ever you like. Try not to to do as I did one time though. I booked to come home but did not check the direction of travel properly. Yup booked the wrong way. Even then it was just a phone call to put it right. Re pets, just take the dog into the pet reception they hand you the scanner you run it over the micro chip they look at the pet passport and wish you a good journey.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Great info again...

Last time we went by ferry we bought our ticket outwards and then bought our return when we were ready. This allowed us to stay as little or long as we liked.

Can we do similar on the tunnel ?

Yes. That's what we do.
This is fine with the tunnel , but not so good with your medical insurance if you have it, if you read the small print in your policy , you will find unless you have booked your return , you are not covered, so what some on here do is book a return but then change the date on it when you are ready to return.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
At Arromanches there are the remains of the Mulberry Harbour and a museum of the D day landings. Also an American one at St Mère Eglise, which will be a familiar name if you've seen The Longest Day.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Sorry for asking a question on your thread @Charlie but I'm interested to know what happens regarding scanning the dogs microchip, do they have to get out the van or does somebody come into the van?.
Just asking as we're thinking about doing this for the first time ourselves but one of our dogs is quite nervous at times so just trying to gather some info :)
@Dave K check out @KeithChesterfield good youtube video about the pet passport check in

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Don't forget you can use Tesco vouchers towards tunnel costs, really brings the price right down.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
last year we looked at this and decided Southampton/Caen. its about 4 1/2 hrs and the dogs stay in the van. easier to get to as well from the west, and drops you right in amongst the war memorials etc.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
last year we looked at this and decided Southampton/Caen. its about 4 1/2 hrs and the dogs stay in the van. easier to get to as well from the west, and drops you right in amongst the war memorials etc.
Depending when you travel. I don't think, once you're on board, that you can go and 'visit'. Just thinking the temperature situation.

Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
Dog is as good as gold but it's not really fair leaving him alone in the hull of a ship especially if it's rough or swells....
I took the Dover Calais Crossing by ferry last month with my cat, I felt pretty bad leaving her in the van in the bowels of the ship, cooped up in her carrying box (cats have to be in one, unlike dogs). It was a fairly large one, given by a friend whose dog had outgrown it, but it still felt pretty mean. The crossing went really quick and the sea was flat as a pancake at least.

When i came back to the van, guess who was sitting curled up on the driver seat. The little Houdini had managed to unzip the carrying box from the inside!

Sep 30, 2014
Boston, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10 years
We use the tunnel a couple of times a year, use our Tesco tokens and haven't paid for it yet, other than topping up the odd amounts! We have a Tesco credit card which we use to pay for absolutely everything, pay it off each month, and the points soon add up, then you triple them to use on the Eurotunnel.

Noely

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class Itineo
Exp
Since 2016
Why not drive down the night before and leave early the next day, refreshed and relaxed. I think you can park up for the night in the car park, but I'm sure someone on here will have done it

Aug 15, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Duomobile B class
Exp
Since 2000
The last time we crossed the water we went via the train but done an overnight 5 mins from the tunnel at The Drum Inn, Stanford. Very friendly, great food, and secure.

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
Luckily we are only 40 mins from the Chunnel. We have booked tunnel rather than ferry even though more expensive as have 4 dogs ! We were watching the prices & it is cheaper booked in advance. You need to book. For anyone whose not done it before - easy drive on drive off the train & stay in van whole journey with cab Windows open. Our plan is to nap so we are refreshed for journey & we are going for a late night crossing as quieter. Motorhomes go onboard the single deck carriages with the coaches whereas the majority of cars go in the double deck carriages depending on the traffic volume. The single decks are easy as no ramps just make sue you go in & off slowly as still tight. Crossing times vary slightly depending on if they use the loop but generally crossing takes around 35 mins so by the time you've eaten a Burger King from the refreshment area on the UK side you are there. We got 10% off as members of motorhome & caravan club so booked it through them. Clean small dog excercise area on UK side. French dog excercise area is large but not clean enough to take our dogs in too much pooh everywhere. We will find somewhere else to toilet our dogs close to the tunnel French side instead. Shopping is good for perfume sets particularly towards Christmas time & lovely designer bags. / sunglasses etc. UK side has the better shopping choices other than wine which is obviously cheaper on the French side. Tip - Opt to pay in Euros not pounds as fractionally cheaper if using a card as uses best exchange rate.
If you opt for ferry as cheaper I believe you can now regularly check dogs by arrangement throughout the crossing. I believe the guidelines changed as sadly a dog over heated & died in a car on the car deck. Check with ferry operator. We didn't risk ferry as one of our dogs has breathing issues & would get stressed if left.
Hope that helps any newbies.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
When we used the tunnel last month I noticed the drive over grey waste disposal bay has been blocked off at Folkestone, but you can still use the Elsan point beside it for your cassette.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back