That tunnel fing.... (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
looking at doing Dover Calais this year so the dog doesent have to stay alone in the van for too long.

Or suggestions please for a clean easy route to get us over the water. Dover is a real pain for us travelling from the midlands so maybe the tunnel ain't the best ? We would like to do the war graves this time so places near there would be better.

Hi Fanks Thee.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The tunnels a pain for us too living in Leicester but I like to get all the bad roads out of the way at the start the crossing is a good break (we made coffee to go with the sarnies on the train just before turning the gas off) and you would be in the best starting spot when you arrive.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you don't want to go to Dover and the shorter crossings, or the tunnel, then you could try Newhaven Dieppe. The crossing time is shorter than Portsmouth Caen and, as recently posted, 20% off for over 60s

However, having recently used the tunnel, I think the journey from Bristol maybe quicker to Folkestone than to Newhaven. We try to pick our timing on the M25 and find that going over on a Sunday makes for an easier journey.
Are you going to Normandy graves or WW1?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We now only use the tunnel , so far never had a problem with M25 , motorway all the way from portsmouth 3 hrs +stop for dog . SIMPLES !!!!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The dog is our main reason for wanting a short crossing. There was a thread on today looking for a frequent traveller sharer.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The tunnel is on your doorstep if you're in the midlands, it's 800km for us to reach it. For dogs we find the tunnel an ideal crossing, no fuss, no waiting and flexible if you'e early or late. It's also a fast process vs a ferry but it is more expensive.

We cross very early or very late as this avoids a lot of traffic around London

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
The tunnel is great with dogs and very easy and quick. We usually aim to drive down on a Sunday when motorways tend to be a bit quieter, and cross over early evening. A night in an aire, maybe Gravelines, and off you go.......We visited Passchendale and some others last year as well as the Menin Gate ceremony and found it all very moving.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We only ever use the tunnel.

I don't think getting there is a big deal is from our bit of the midlands.

A14, M11, M25, M20 is usually pretty painless.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The tunnel it is then... Thank you all for the information I didn't know we wouldn't have to leave the van/dog... Dog is as good as gold but it's not really fair leaving him alone in the hull of a ship especially if it's rough or swells....

Do we have to book or just roll up ? I will try DFDS for the old gigs discount cos if the family are and do taka deee Peeeees about me getting on I may as well have the benifits ...

What does it cost roughly we have a 6M PVC and a toad on the back.

Thanks again !!

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If you don't want to go to Dover and the shorter crossings, or the tunnel, then you could try Newhaven Dieppe. The crossing time is shorter than Portsmouth Caen and, as recently posted, 20% off for over 60s

However, having recently used the tunnel, I think the journey from Bristol maybe quicker to Folkestone than to Newhaven. We try to pick our timing on the M25 and find that going over on a Sunday makes for an easier journey.
Are you going to Normandy graves or WW1?

If I'm honest I'm unsure which graves. We have been told it's an emotional experience and one we really should do.

Again reccomendations please.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If I'm honest I'm unsure which graves. We have been told it's an emotional experience and one we really should do.

Well, I would go to the USA war cemetery at Arromachies ( or something like that ) and also the British cemetery at Bayeaux. I can also recommend the museum at Pegasus bridge

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you book late night/early morning then there are some suggestions.
We live in Manchester and we travel down early. We usually give ourselves plenty of time to enable us to visit one of the town/cities in Kent.
This year we went to Canterbury. There is a Park and Ride and for £3.00 park up your Moho and pop into town (dog welcome) then travel onto Folkestone for the train.
Once on the other side, there are Aires you can go to or, what we do is go to Cite Europe. It's 10 minutes from the train and we go there, sleep till we wake on their Aire at Cite Europe then travel refreshed.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Both areas are emotional. If you have any family involved, then you can look up where memorial is on the Commonwealth War graves website. It makes the trip more personal. I like to get a small bunch of flowers and then can lay one on the central plinth that you find in most cemeteries. I also always make a point of signing the book that can be found behind a small door in the entrance porch of each cemetery.
Both areas have excellent museums. I would recommend Arras and the Wellington Caves, Ypres and Menin Gate, Poperinge and Talbot House, Hill61 all on Somme.
For Normandy, Arramanche has to be on the list.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We pitched up at Hermanville sur mer aire on the 6th June , to find an English world war 2 cemetery just 200 yrds behind it . then early evening we heard bagpipes ,then saw 20 british service men/ women marching to the cemetery.
The local people had laid on a wreath laying ceremony ,more bagpipes & bugles , then the local children laid a single flower ( bergera's
upload_2017-7-5_20-0-32.jpeg
upload_2017-7-5_20-1-15.jpeg
upload_2017-7-5_20-1-49.jpeg
) on all of the graves all 896.
All very moving. Glad we were there

upload_2017-7-5_20-1-15.jpeg

upload_2017-7-5_20-1-49.jpeg

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Well, I would go to the USA war cemetery at Arromachies ( or something like that ) and also the British cemetery at Bayeaux. I can also recommend the museum at Pegasus bridge
The American Cemetary is at Omaha Beach.
Arromanches is where the Mulberry Harbours are at.
There is an aire in the middle of Arromanches also a municipal campsite behind it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The American Cemetary is at Omaha Beach.
Arromanches is where the Mulberry Harbours are at.
There is an aire in the middle of Arromanches also a municipal campsite behind it.

Sorry, it's been a few years

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
There are a number of WW1 sites/memorials within an hour or two's drive of Calais. Thinking of Vimy Ridge, Thiepval, Beaumont Hamel, Albert and in Belgium Ypres. Basically follow the front line, it hardly moved for years.
Regards WW2, close to St Omar is La Cupola. This complex was built using slave labour, from where it was planned to fire V2 rockets, until the RAF put it out of action.

Mike

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Definitely the tunnel.....We always used the ferry before Sasha came along, but now she travels all over UK & Europe with us it has to be the tunnel. We drive down from Warrington either early doors or late evening to avoid traffic and the journey takes 4 1/2 - 5 hours leisurely drive. Go for it..!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
My dad was one of the paratroopers at Arnhem and the Pegusus Bridge is basically a memorial to them. He was hidden by the Dutch and survived Arnhem.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Regarding the cost of the tunnel, the sooner you book the more choices you have of cheaper prices. It really does get a lot dearer if you leave it until two days before or just turn up. We usually pay around £100 plus £18- for each dog! Doesn't depend on the size of your van , you just choose the campervan option.

Once you have your booking they allow you two hours either side and will put you on an earlier one if you arrive ahead of time and there is space. If you need to alter it more you can do so online... They really do make it easy.

Enjoy your trip.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry for asking a question on your thread @Charlie but I'm interested to know what happens regarding scanning the dogs microchip, do they have to get out the van or does somebody come into the van?.
Just asking as we're thinking about doing this for the first time ourselves but one of our dogs is quite nervous at times so just trying to gather some info :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Sorry for asking a question on your thread @Charlie but I'm interested to know what happens regarding scanning the dogs microchip, do they have to get out the van or does somebody come into the van?.
Just asking as we're thinking about doing this for the first time ourselves but one of our dogs is quite nervous at times so just trying to gather some info :)
It's only when you are coming back that you go to the pet area and they do the scanning and authorise crossing

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The tunnel it is then... Thank you all for the information I didn't know we wouldn't have to leave the van/dog... Dog is as good as gold but it's not really fair leaving him alone in the hull of a ship especially if it's rough or swells....

Do we have to book or just roll up ? I will try DFDS for the old gigs discount cos if the family are and do taka deee Peeeees about me getting on I may as well have the benifits ...

Thanks again !!
One of the problems with the tunnel is that they charge a lot for a trailer and it's the same price whether it's a 2m goods trailer or an 8m caravan something like £80 each way extra.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The staff at the pet check-in pass you the scanner so you scan the microchip yourself. Its very straightforward. We always use the tunnel because of the dogs. Its best to book in advance, you can just turn up but then you will pay the top price

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013

Thanks again !!
Hi @Charlie i think you will find DFDS Is just for ferry booking, you have to book with Eurotunnel for the shuttle.
I booked last weekend and it cost £229 return with the dog to cross at the beginning of September.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Great info again...

Last time we went by ferry we bought our ticket outwards and then bought our return when we were ready. This allowed us to stay as little or long as we liked.

Can we do similar on the tunnel ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have to travel from the North side of the Humber so it's quite a trek for us ... A164, A15, M180, A15, A46, A1, A1(M), A14, M11, M25, M20 ... anywhere from 4.5 hours to 6.5 depending on traffic and stops on the way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back