Free Member
Mar 28, 2012
isle of wight
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie!!
ok.. once i get the leisure battery working (has been on charge for a couple of days now!) i will be wanting to check the 3 way fridge
now,, can i have a very simple, step by step, detailed instruction on how to check the fridge! thanks
will be back shortly with more inane questions !!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its a three way fridge (dometic/electrolux etc) it wont work on 12v from your leisure battery...only works on the engine battery when the engine is running.
the 12v is only to maintain the pre-cooled temperature when driving, not to cool it down.

you may need the leisure battery for the fridge electronics/gas ignitor but that's all.

what make and model is it ?

if your battery has been left flat for a good length of time it may be beyond charging (wont hold a charge for long) and need replacing...they don't like being stood for weeks/months in a flat state.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
step 1 dont panic, the 12volts in the 3 way only works when the engine is running and then only to keep it cool once already chilled on gas or mains

step 2 mains. Plug the van into a socket at home and set the fridge to mains opperation. allow an hour or so and see if its cold yet. if not wait another hour, as some take longer than others

step 3 gas. make sure your gas supply is ok, as in gas in bottle turned on etc. Turn the dial to gas, and on older fridges hold in and press the igniter button a few times. slightly newer ones have a switch for electric ignition. the latest ones do it all for you. Anyway back to the gas. look in the fridge at the back and you will see a small window. you should see a blue flame in there. wait 20 seconds and release the gas valve and check it remains lit. as before close the door, wait an hour and check the beers cold

simples

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

herecomesbod

Free Member
Mar 28, 2012
isle of wight
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie!!
it is an electrolux.. no idea of make and model!
and ... okhave learnt more already then !!! so dont need the leisure battery to test then!
will give hte leisure battery a couple more days, then either see how it goes , or give up and buy a new one!!
so.. what should i do with the fridge.. i have no idea how long since it was last used (as with the leisure battery!)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its not been used for a while, consider getting it serviced and give it a wipe out with a fridge cleaner product as used indoors

They really are very simple pieces of kit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
For anyone new to motorhoming, as well as the useful knowledge on this forum, I recommend the Haynes manual on maintenance written by John Wickesham. It's a bit dated regarding modern vans, but has been revised and not a lot changes in terms of basics.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Motorcaravan-Manual-Choosing-Maintaining/dp/1844250474[/ame]

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
it is an electrolux.. no idea of make and model!
and ... okhave learnt more already then !!! so dont need the leisure battery to test then!
will give hte leisure battery a couple more days, then either see how it goes , or give up and buy a new one!!
so.. what should i do with the fridge.. i have no idea how long since it was last used (as with the leisure battery!)

Hi you will probably need the L/BATT for electrics on the fridge -- If you don't have a view window in the fridge when on gas you can either take bottom outside vent cover off to view/clean or simply feel the heat from the top rt side of upper vent.After that stick a very small tray of water in freezer bit to see if it freezes.I am talking one eight of an ins deep or you could be some time :winky:
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back