Terrible unusable Fiat Ducato speedo design (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
We're just back from our first trip to the continent, and as I left the chunnel and reached our first 50km/hr I was appalled to find the km/hr speedo marks are ... dark red on black .. have the designers not heard of accessibility?

I looked at my Honda hatchback by contrast and its dial is black on white.

I just find it unfathomable that in the 21st century a child of 8 could design better than dark red font on black background.

Ours is a euro 4 model, is the speedo better on more recent vehicles?

Deleted User
Or just stick to 30 mph:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, we had the same problem and the simple fix was to write a comparison chart and stick it on the top of the dash in front of the driver:)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Use a sat-nav as a speedo. Mount it on the dash, closer to the eye line, and set it to MPH or KPH.
More accurate than the built in speedo too.

Richard.
A question of having to in my Ford Transit based MH as the instruments are totally unreadable in most conditions being buried at the bottom of a dark tunnel where my eyes cannot adjust quickly enough from bright outside to tunnel gloom - and putting the lights on doesn't help either!

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
I use a free app on my iphone mounted on the dash. Gives huge clear speeds in either mph or kph. Checked against my Audi cars digital speedo and it is spot on. I use it in Uk and Europe; virtually given up with the 2017 Fiat speedo which reads about 5mph high at a true 70mph!!! But only if you can read it!! But hey it’s a van speedo....do white van drivers bother with them????

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Totally agree, our 2016 Fiat Hymer speedo is not readable in bright sunlight even after the fiat update.

2018, we’ve had men on the moon , self driving cars self parking cars etc etc but mighty Fiat cannot produce a readable speedometer, itll be the square wheel next :doh:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Totally agree, our 2016 Fiat Hymer speedo is not readable in bright sunlight even after the fiat update.

2018, we’ve had men on the moon , self driving cars self parking cars etc etc but mighty Fiat cannot produce a readable speedometer, itll be the square wheel next :doh:
Then no need for a hand brake :D

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Last week I had a 2008 Fiat Panda loan car from the dealer. It was a quite horrible car in many ways, but the speedometer was big and very easy to read. Excellent in 2008, so why is the X290 speedometer such cr&p? What idiot signed off this bad design? :mad:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Last week I had a 2008 Fiat Panda loan car from the dealer. It was a quite horrible car in many ways, but the speedometer was big and very easy to read. Excellent in 2008, so why is the X290 speedometer such cr&p? What idiot signed off this bad design? :mad:

It beggars belief and makes you wonder if it is strictly legal , a speedometer must work although I’m not sure if it is in the MOT checklist , but if it must work , being readable should also be a must.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Given the accuracy of Fiat speedos as long as you can see the needle is in correct quadrant it'll be near enough :LOL:.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
It beggars belief and makes you wonder if it is strictly legal , a speedometer must work although I’m not sure if it is in the MOT checklist , but if it must work , being readable should also be a must.
the OP has trouble with the speedo legibility in KPH and not in MPH - and since the MOT is a UK reg... and we use MPH, it would be an MOT pass anyway ;)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
the OP has trouble with the speedo legibility in KPH and not in MPH - and since the MOT is a UK reg... and we use MPH, it would be an MOT pass anyway ;)

My point was that my fiat mph speedometer is impossible to read in bright sunlight even following the fiat modification and whether it is legal in uk to be unreadable.

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Full timing since Dec 2017
Use a sat-nav as a speedo. Mount it on the dash, closer to the eye line, and set it to MPH or KPH.
More accurate than the built in speedo too.

Richard.

I do this - one reason being I can't see the bloody speedo without my readers, and I can't drive in them!

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
I do this - one reason being I can't see the bloody speedo without my readers, and I can't drive in them!
I got varifocals plain at the top and the reading bit on the bottom, caused by years of writing on tachodiscs.. Then went over to digi tacho above the windscreen and had to take the glasses off to see that. Still wear them now to see speedo etc.

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Full timing since Dec 2017
I got varifocals plain at the top and the reading bit on the bottom, caused by years of writing on tachodiscs.. Then went over to digi tacho above the windscreen and had to take the glasses off to see that. Still wear them now to see speedo etc.

Tried that - made everything below the waist look massive.

Sadly only my knees and feet.o_O

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Another vote for sat nav speedo, my Garmin gives speed limit and actual in mph or Kph if you prefer, it also makes a noise if I’m over the limit. Much better than OEM Ford system

We have an annoying voice reading out speeds and speed limits from the sat nag ......... yes, it's me if he is driving and him if I am behind the wheel.

I agree that the FIAT design is rubbish.

Deleted User
Been driving abroad for around 30 years and never felt the need for a speedo in KPH, not difficult to remember the conversions.

I've had a 250 Ducato for 3 years now and never even noticed the KPH dial, agree about the satnav for accurate speeds though.......in MPH:)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Never thought about the unreadable KPH until we got to Norway where the limits are lower and more critical. I did the maths and jotted them on a scrap of paper so when we hit a 70/60/50/40/30 kph sign my wife tells me what I should be doing. I shall come up with a better solution when we get home. :)

macscrooge

Free Member
Oct 16, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2015
I’ve just tried to memorise certain speeds as the MPH equivalents. Aided by a comparison chart on the windscreen.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I own a 2017 Fiat based Hymer, speedo visibility is abysmal, built in sat nav displays speed but font is small and needs a good stare at, purchased a stand alone gps speedo not cheap but nor is a French speeding ticket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back