Talbot Express retro fit seat belts (1 Viewer)

Zebra

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Sunny Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Hi,

I've got a 1991 Pilote 390. It's based on a Talbot Express chassis. It has two lap belts on the forward facing rear seats. At the moment my small children are safe in their car seats secured with the lapbelts. However, they are growing (I've heard this is quite normal) and will soon need to move into seats that use the adult seatbelts. Therefore, I will need to fit three point belts. Has anyone done this? Any advice at all will help before I sharpen my pencil and sit down at the drawing board.......

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hiya Zebra

Please dont take this the wrong way, but from a personal point of view, get the seat belts fitted professionally. That way, should any unfortunate event occur that is attributable to seat belt malfunction, you wont blame yourself.

In our younger days we used to do most vehicle work ourselves, I have even changed a few engines and as a female very proud of this but neither my husband or I will do our own brakes or seatbelts because if anything ever happened we would never forgive ourselves.

Hope all works out for you and your lovely family xxxxx This message is sent with lots of love and not intended to scare or frighten or intimidate xxxxx

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Hi Zebra,

Speaking as someone who has fitted lap belts to my previous and present vans (without wanting to get into discussions as to the advisability of doing this, it was a personal choice) I would say that to fit aftermarket three point belts would be a challenge.

A fabricated steel upright between the seats would be required and this must be bolted or welded to the chassis. As the previous poster mentioned it would not be advisable to do this yourself but to get a professional engineering shop to do this (of course it may be possible to purchase to purchase the correct uprights from whoever manufactures them for the motorhome industry and then have this fitted)

As you do not need them immediately it may be better to plan to change your van for one with fitted belts when the children do require them, it may well be as cost effective!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back