Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
brackley
Funster No
MH
bessacarr 789
Exp
25 years
hi we are taking our dog to France he is getting his passport today but what happens when we go to bring him back from France does he have to go to a vet and how do we find a vet
thanks bob

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need to find a vet and have the dog examined and wormed between 5 days and 24 hours before returning to the UK. The vet will record this in the passport.

Finding a vet depends on where you are returning from, some French vets are pricy, for example near Calais. Search on this Forum for suggestions or let us know what terminal you are using.

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
That list is great Antonio, thank you.
Since the window for seeing a vet is now longer and we rarely have a plan when touring, we tend to start looking for a vet 5 days before coming home. Usually no problem to have the treatment there and then. Always good to have a list though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
It doesn't even cover the ones Funsters have used this year but getting details of recommended and cheap Vets throughout Europe is like getting blood from a stone.

A few minutes giving useful details would help other Funsters to easily find a Vet.

How about it?

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
We used a vet in Germany, Polsch, where the Motorhome was built. It is near the Mosel. The vet charged us €5 for the consultation and signature :clap2:. Closer you get to the coast the more expensive it is.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
The map was constructed and is maintained by Keith Chesterfield on the motorhomefacts forum

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
DevonBeekeeper - "So how is the map updated?"

By people supplying details on any Motorhome forum of the Vets they've used recently.

Address, price charged, ease of parking a MH, telephone number, opening hours and if English is by spoken by the Vet.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
DevonBeekeeper - "So how is the map updated?"

By people supplying details on any Motorhome forum of the Vets they've used recently.

Address, price charged, ease of parking a MH, telephone number, opening hours and if English is by spoken by the Vet.
Many thanks but are you updating it? If not who is Dysoning* up this information?

*aka Hoovering

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Hi Bob, please remember that after the rabies injection you can take your dog out of the country but if I remember correctly our vet told us that you could not bring him/her back into the UK until a full 6 months after the injection !!
Then it has to have a boost injection every 3 years ! Check with your vet if this is still the case.
Think there is somewhere on the forum where vets are listed, depends where you are going, used to have be done 24 hours before your return but, know it is 5 days.
Make sure that all relevant parts are filled in by the vet as you do not want to arrive at the port/tunnel with the wrong date/time on it.
last year we arrived at the tunnel 55 mins early and they made us wait until the exact time before they would let us check in. !!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi Bob, please remember that after the rabies injection you can take your dog out of the country but if I remember correctly our vet told us that you could not bring him/her back into the UK until a full 6 months after the injection !!
Then it has to have a boost injection every 3 years ! Check with your vet if this is still the case.
Think there is somewhere on the forum where vets are listed, depends where you are going, used to have be done 24 hours before your return but, know it is 5 days.
Make sure that all relevant parts are filled in by the vet as you do not want to arrive at the port/tunnel with the wrong date/time on it.
last year we arrived at the tunnel 55 mins early and they made us wait until the exact time before they would let us check in. !!
Your memory is faulty :) but it might have been true when your vet spoke to you. These days you just have to wait 21 days, assuming you are travelling within the EU. The rules are different for the more outlandish countries.
If the OP wants the full nine yards, read this:
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I have a list of all the vets in Europe, IF I can work out how to upload it to here !!
I am sure I will get "feedback" from you to let me know if this is any good or not ?!?!
Mitch.

Attachments

• Vets in Europe JUNE 1st 2013.pdf
    182.1 KB · Views: 29

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have a list of all the vets in Europe, IF I can work out how to upload it to here !!
I am sure I will get "feedback" from you to let me know if this is any good or not ?!?!
Mitch.
Not quite all the vets in Europe I suspect, but plenty for France. Many thanks.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry Beekeeper, that was the heading I had it stored under..
Slightly OTT I agree.
Hope it helps folks who have nothing..
In the land of the the blind, the one eyed man is king..
(y) Mitch.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
B

bob hancox

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
brackley
Funster No
MH
bessacarr 789
Exp
25 years
well thanks every one for all your input on this I am sure our stay in France will be a lot easier now I have this info

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Just a quick reminder of a couple of things to watch out for - both of which we failed to do on our recent trip and suffered as a result:
1) make sure you identify public holidays in your country of destination BEFORE you book your return journey so you know exactly which days you will be able to see a vet - we forgot Ascension Day in Germany, a public holiday
2) Do make sure you check the passport entry BEFORE you leave the vet - we didn't spot the error until the next day (a Saturday) and consider ourselves very lucky that the vet happened to be in the office at the weekend.
Bill

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
This is a bit odd, I used to be able to open the map now I get a message saying I don't have access and I need to request it.

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Please could someone else try the link to google maps in this thread, I have a feeling the access rights have changed

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I believe that you can't travel until 24 hours after treatment...

However I do reserve the right to be wrong on that...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back