Taking a caged bird over to Europe? (1 Viewer)

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
My wife has a pet bird and wants to take it with us to Spain. Dogs are no problem. But, does anyone know what has to be done to take this dam bird?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think you may have to contact the Spanish Embassy to determine the requirement depending on the type of bird
If you are travelling through France, you may need to enquire with the French Embassy too to make sure you have the correct paperwork and forms.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When my father passed away I inherited an ancient African grey parrot. It was so old it did not have a ring on its foot and that was where the problem started, other than its very colourful language. I made enquiries with the ministry of agriculture fisheries and food and was told I would require export docs to take it out of the UK, import docs to import it into France, export docs from France to Spain and import docs into Spain.
All this again in reverse on my way home.
I decided to ask a mate who kept a local pub if he would look after it and he agreed. Have never set foot in that pub since, and that was almost 20 years ago.
This was 20 years ago, so I have no idea if the rules have changed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My wife has a pet bird and wants to take it with us to Spain. Dogs are no problem. But, does anyone know what has to be done to take this dam bird?
I think you don't need anything at the moment but you could get a fit to travel certificate from a vet to be safe.

Apr 16, 2019
Bolsover
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
We have been taking a canary abroad for last few years no problem vet said they do not come under the pet passport scheme.
Even chirps up at passport control when they ask about the dogs, officers just laugh and say at least we couldn’t be trying to hide him?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The 'only' thing that you might have to check about is avian flu etc and travel restrictions because of that sort of thing. Check with DEFRA.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
297C5311-0FD2-4F01-83A2-D2A27DBF1C08.png

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Depends on the species of bird.

If you are attempting to transport an endangered species you will have to jump through hoops to do it.

For instance, my family once imported into the UK (EU zone) 3 African Grey parrots from when we used to live in Zaire.

AS they are an endangered species and on the 'CITIES List' -the international convention concerning endangered species - the paperwork and bureaucracy was considerable and took several months, and fees galore, to complete; and that was to get them into just one country. They were then required to go into quarantine for a considerable time with an accredited facility! It all took a long time and cost a lot of money, even back in the late 80's.

So if your bird is a biggy, African grey, macaw, minah bird, some cockatoos etc and on that list, you might find it a considerable challenge.

If it's your old aunty Mary's canary (was it ever up the leg of her drawers?) then crack on, although you might be subject to local veterinary restrictions for avian transportation with regards to communicable diseases, especially members of the pscitticine family (parrots) as they carry the bacterium that causes psittacosis, a disease that can cross the species barrier into humans. AS you can imagine national governments are quite keen to control communicable diseases like that.

You will just need to do your research and due diligence.

I wouldn't try winging it either. If you are found to be contravening the CITIES regulations you will be looking at the thick end of a huge fine, confiscation of transporting methods, significant legal costs in a foreign jurisdiction and possible jail time.

You really need to love your bird to go through it!

Good luck.

Does polly get a cracker now?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Be okay if it was a pigeon, if it got bored it could find its own way home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back