Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Just planning next years Holliday through the Black Forrest into Switzerland and then to Milan to pick the kids up from the airport.

Can anyone recommend a nice scenic route through the Alps, I was thinking a visit to Brienz and then through the valleys to Italy.

Never done Switzerland before, do we still pay tax on the way in.

Thanks Alan

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Tax - yes and dependant on your weight you get either a vignette (under 3.5kg) or a daily toll thingy (can't now remember what it's called:() for over 3.5kg. No matter you do it at the border as you enter Switzerland - it's straightforward.

As regards routes, almost every way across the country is scenic; if you've got the time tour around a bit.

I remember one night in my coach driver days taking an overnighter to Italy. It was a clear bright moonlit night and the mountains were stunning - and I was the only one awake to see it!:xdoh:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
In Regards the payment at the border we paid in Swiss franks it was a better exchange rate than euros, it was 40 franks or 40 euros and the franks cost us less to buy, I don't know the present rates but worth a look. Pete

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
if you don't enter on a m/way you don't pay!
the swiss have their own electric plugs, so make up/butcher an adapter before you leave.
As for a route, through the jura mountains to berne - thun - interlaken - milan. all can be done off the m/way

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
It used to be that an official stopped you at the border and demanded you pay the annual toll. Now, it seems they rely on you to know that you need one without the enforcement officer. Not sure what the penalty is if you don't bother to buy one.

When you do travel through the Alps I notice that many map books show pretty routes with a green line running along the side of the yellow line. Some tunnels cost a serious amount of money to pass through. If nothing else I'd make sure I avoided those.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back