Swiss vignette after using swiss motorways (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Histyle 640
My Garmin routed me through Switzerlands motorways todayon the way back north, i never thought about a vignette till too late
Are they strict with following up on no vignettes?
Ive found an online e- vignette has anybody got one of these after using the motorway system?
Thanks

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
I’m just back from Switzerland too, (with a vignette) and am reasonably sure that if you’ve not been stopped you are probably ok.

I’m a bit surprised that you weren’t stopped one of the multitude of police check points I saw all over the place.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I’m just back from Switzerland too, (with a vignette) and am reasonably sure that if you’ve not been stopped you are probably ok.

I’m a bit surprised that you weren’t stopped one of the multitude of police check points I saw all over the place.
Me Too.

We need the heavier one so drive through with the commercials and somebody usually wants to see it. But I think even the lighter lanes have to stop as they pass through and get checked. I wonder if they ve gone camera? hopefully not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
If they carry on the same as adjacent Austria you would be picked up by a camera and get a ticket through the post. Buying after the event there doesn’t wash either.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If they carry on the same as adjacent Austria you would be picked up by a camera and get a ticket through the post. Buying after the event there doesn’t wash either.
Austria will give you a ticket for the slightest excuse anyway, awful setup. At least the Swiss >3500kgs setup is simple and reasonably priced.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
This is my experience,

We travelled through Switzerland last year, i completely forgot about the Vignette until i saw the police stopping vehicles, thankfully they were occupied with other vehicles (inc a 'non swiss' boy racer who had sped past us a few minutes beforehand) so i got through checkpoint charlie (as i would have been a right charlie if had been stopped and fined!), when we stopped for the night i bought the Vignette on line and breathed easier the next day travelling. i was also a little concerned re cameras etc, but i havent been 'contacted' - i wondered if buyng it on that day and not being physically found without one, meant that it showed as started from 0000 hrs on the day i bought it?

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My Garmin routed me through Switzerlands motorways todayon the way back north, i never thought about a vignette till too late
Ive found an online e- vignette has anybody got one of these after using the motorway system?
Thanks
Ridgeway ?

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Austria will give you a ticket for the slightest excuse anyway, awful setup. At least the Swiss >3500kgs setup is simple and reasonably priced.
And yet people don’t do the research on what roads they can/cannot drive on without paying for in foreign countries🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
And yet people don’t do the research on what roads they can/cannot drive on without paying for in foreign countries🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Sometimes things go wrong, we are just back from Crotia, very little toll and no dars or go boxes, we went through austria and sloveni and just didnt want the hassle of the boxes. We could have taken a wrong turn I suppose.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
IMHO the worst are the ones who blithely set the satnav on avoid tolls and then wonder why they end up on a goat track on a mountainside :LOL:
I Must admit Jon, the roads I’ve been up/down in the alps looked a lot wider when I was on the Harley:doh:

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
IMHO the worst are the ones who blithely set the satnav on avoid tolls and then wonder why they end up on a goat track on a mountainside :LOL:

We often set the sat nag to avoid M/ways and tolls.

Having just returned, I’m still amazed at how many times road work diversions rerouted us onto M/ ways and at least three times, onto toll roads despite trying to avoid the same.

Obvs, it wouldn’t be a problem if I spoke the local language, and understood what the makeshift signs were saying, but google translate isn’t much help at speed in traffic

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We often set the sat nag to avoid M/ways and tolls.

Having just returned, I’m still amazed at how many times road work diversions rerouted us onto M/ ways and at least three times, onto toll roads despite trying to avoid the same.

Obvs, it wouldn’t be a problem if I spoke the local language, and understood what the makeshift signs were saying, but google translate isn’t much help at speed in traffic

Tbf if you are driving a VW you should mostly get away with it, its as the vehicles get bigger they can't get everywhere a car can and once comitted it can be difficult to turn around. Imho its better to hold up the traffic for a few minutes than have to be calling for a crane, there's usually somewhere to pull up safely.

I never let the satnav decide the route, always preferring to spend a few minutes with either googlemaps or a paper map before committing to an unfamiliar route, especially in hilly areas. Streetview can also help out.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

We non-blithley set the sat nav for no tolls most of the time. The wife then studies Google maps to see if there are any sections where it would make sense to nip onto a motorway (i.e. goat tracks).

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We non-blithley set the sat nav for no tolls most of the time. The wife then studies Google maps to see if there are any sections where it would make sense to nip onto a motorway (i.e. goat tracks).
Teamwork, I like it? sadly my wife is hopeless with maps or technology but she does have other qualities :giggle: :giggle: (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 590
Thanks
We've just come back from Switzerland and Italy,I got a online vignette for Swiss motorways,good job aswell cops pulled me us over getting onto a slip road,had a chat with us checked our documents and sent us on our way.

Upvote 0

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
The week before easter we drove from Germany to Switzerland via Austria avoiding the Austrian motorway as we did not want to pay for a single journey, no problem. Except rain, hale, wind and snow, our plan was to buy a vignette on entry to Switzerland, no luck the border control was closed as it was Sunday afternoon, so we carried on to see the family avoiding motorways. During the week after Easter we bought the vignette at the local petrol station as we would use the motorways on our return. It should be noted that some motorways do not require a vignette as they seem to be the sole route and are upgraded original roads.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
The E vignette is new this year. Given that that means you have no physical sticker to display as before I strongly suspect that they will be heading in the direction of APR but, likely, different Cantons will adopt a different stance.

P.S. In 13+ years of travelling Switzerland by bike I never once got pulled to view my sticker!

Chris

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back