May

Rally Swaffham Bash ( formerly Thetford (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi All.

A few of reminders on John Jaws behalf as he is up to his eyes in sorting things at the moment.

1. If you happen to arrive before the gates open at 2pm, please be considerate and do not block the road for local residents. Much easier to time your arrival for after 2pm.

2. Getting into the site is difficult if you have a long overhang or a trailer/toad. You will approach from the town on a downhill slope. The entrance is on the right and an uphill slope. You are strongly advised to go beyond the entrance, find somewhere to turn around and approach from the other direction so you have a smooth uphill turning to the left. Some even took the toads off down the hill and then walked back to collect it. It's fair to say that the marshalls hear about 50% of the vans arriving by the graunch as the off side rear of your expensive van digs yet another groove in the road surface! You have been warned!

3. Unless you want a long wait for the only tap, please arrive with at least enough water for the first night. After that it's a case of carrying it to your van.

4. Please follow carefully the instructions from the marshals on how to enter the field itself. There are overhanging trees that will catch you out if you take the most obvious route.

5. I know not if they are there this year, but please watch out for ducklings near the big tree on the way in.

6. Most important - Have Fun! ;)

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Hope it's OK to post this here:

There is a classic car and bike show (Cars on the Green) at Bardwell, Suffolk (IP31 1AW) on Sunday from 10am to 4pm. It's about 40 mins from Swaffham. Free entry but there is a parking charge. I realise, of course, that this will probably only be of interest to a small number of attendees - those with an interest in cars/bikes, who have transport and aren't having Sunday lunch!

I know one or two of the cars/people exhibiting there, including the Wolseley police car which featured in Amy Winehouse's video for Back to Black (plus other film and TV credits). Entries for the day are full, which probably means about 200 cars and bikes.

There's a couple of Spitfires doing a flypast over the show at 1pm, so maybe they will be visible from Swaffham. Keep your eyes and ears open.

Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Hi All.

A few of reminders on John Jaws behalf as he is up to his eyes in sorting things at the moment.

1. If you happen to arrive before the gates open at 2pm, please be considerate and do not block the road for local residents. Much easier to time your arrival for after 2pm.

2. Getting into the site is difficult if you have a long overhang or a trailer/toad. You will approach from the town on a downhill slope. The entrance is on the right and an uphill slope. You are strongly advised to go beyond the entrance, find somewhere to turn around and approach from the other direction so you have a smooth uphill turning to the left. Some even took the toads off down the hill and then walked back to collect it. It's fair to say that the marshalls hear about 50% of the vans arriving by the graunch as the off side rear of your expensive van digs yet another groove in the road surface! You have been warned!

3. Unless you want a long wait for the only tap, please arrive with at least enough water for the first night. After that it's a case of carrying it to your van.

4. Please follow carefully the instructions from the marshals on how to enter the field itself. There are overhanging trees that will catch you out if you take the most obvious route.

5. I know not if they are there this year, but please watch out for ducklings near the big tree on the way in.

6. Most important - Have Fun! ;)
I think I’m just getting paranoid with all your warnings so I have a 6m van with very little overhang but I have a towbar bike rack on the rear , will that be too much for the right hand turn ? Should I go and turn around ? Sorry if it’s a daft question 🫣

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think I’m just getting paranoid with all your warnings so I have a 6m van with very little overhang but I have a towbar bike rack on the rear , will that be too much for the right hand turn ? Should I go and turn around ? Sorry if it’s a daft question 🫣
Should sail in !!
Even if you scrap its not a biggy..
If you can get on and off a ferry without touching you will have NO problem :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If you take the right turn wide and slow I suspect you will be fine. We also have a 6m van, and I have no difficulty even with the rear locker laden with sound and lighting gear. You need to judge for yourself on arrival. If in doubt carry on down the hill where it will be a lot easier to turn a 6m van around than the 40m semi pantechnicons with a 15m overhang and a toad, some seem to bring. :rofl: I might have slightly exaggerated. ;-)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Mine is 8mtrs with a motorcycle in the garage and levelling jacks, one jack scraped but only gently, just take it slowly.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
For those concerned re catching their MH overhang on the road, prior to entering through the gates, "DO NOT APPROACH AT A 90° ANGLE". Instead, when approaching either from the left or right, take a shallow approach across the entry ramp, (rather than up it), until you know your overhang has cleared the road. 👍

Off topic I know, but still Bash related. ;)

Can I ask please, 🙏 if there are any Auto Elecricians attending this Meet, could you possibly see your way to assisting me please, with an intermittent fault on the side light circuit of the MH?
It's on an Iveco Daily 60/65 C17.

With fingers firmly crossed. 🤞

Jock. :)
Bump........in the hope of a response. 🙏

Cheers,

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well. that it guys
The betting window is closed, the shutters are down and all the paper work is printed out
If I get time I will pop in tomorrow morning, but whatever, I will see you all at Swaffham !!!!!!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
There’s a bit of a queue to get in! If you are nearly here it may pay to stop for a coffee😀

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Afternoon organisers and helpers, we’ve had to decide not to travel today. Fingers crossed we’ll be able to join you tomorrow morning at some point. I’ll update you then anyway.

Tony

May 17, 2022
Stelling Minnis, Canterbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 1998
WANTED Beer lover with more knowledge than I about rearview cameras. My Parksafe screen was in perfect order with a clear picture for the first 100 mile here and then decided to go blank. As it's completely "dead" my first thought is fuse or loose wire but I don't know where fuse would be or where the wiring would be. The connectors from camera to the inside wiring to the screen seem to be ok. I am useless but have my own ( hardly used) socket/screwdriver set!

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Jaws
Lee Fryer
Unfortunately we won't make it this year - already warned John and all monies paid are NOT to be returned to us.
We may make a day trip over if I am well enough Saturday but rollercoaster health at the moment.
That leaves an RV shaped parking/camping space if needed.
Fingers crossed for dry weather for you all and enjoy the Bash! 👍🏼

Sep 28, 2021
Worcester, UK
Funster No
MH
LMC premium I650G
Exp
35y tugging + 2 in Motorhome
We are Bailey AU14CEF at the edge of playing field to the left John JAWS.
Thanks Brantson for the beer sorry I couldn’t give you a permanent fix but it is working and you now know what’s the issue is. 🤔😂

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
A brave band of adventurers have ventured into the Swaffham town centre to recce the pubs for you all. Here is our report:
White Hart - closed down 4 weeks ago
Red Lion - closed at 9pm
Greyhound - only one in town open
We didn’t try the Conservative Club

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
A brave band of adventurers have ventured into the Swaffham town centre to recce the pubs for you all. Here is our report:
White Hart - closed down 4 weeks ago
Red Lion - closed at 9pm
Greyhound - only one in town
We didn’t try the Conservative Club
We went to the Red Lion today. OK, but nothing special. Back at the rally raiding the fridge 🍺🍺

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Jim changed servers last night and it’s difficult to login this morning. If folks are having trouble getting on tell them to clear their browser caches and enable a VPN. Thats the only way I got on!

Things should correct themselves during the day as the internet learns Funs new address.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'll try again using Rogerwyn's approach. ;)

Beer lovers..........

Can I ask please, 🙏 if there are any Auto Elecricians attending this Meet, could you possibly see your way to assisting me please, with an intermittent fault on the side light circuit of the MH?
It's on an Iveco Daily 60/65 C17.

With fingers firmly crossed. 🤞

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread