Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
alston lancashire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
two years
Hi i hope this is not to boring for you all but we are planning our first winter sun run to southern spain January 2009 to mojacar or torredelmar area we will be crossing from dover then due to time of year would we be better going south through france then across to spain or west into nothern spain then south down spain. thanks

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi Maurice,

Certainly not boring so please don't worry on that score :thumb:

I don't know the answer I'm afraid and can't offer an opinion as we've never done the 'Sun Run' :cry: but I'm sure someone will be along soon that has ::bigsmile:

Great idea though, hope you have a fab time :roflmto:

Bryan

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If it were Me I'd take the most direct/fastest route to S Spain as posssible, |Dont try avoiding Madrid, go straight for it, new outer ring roads(motorways make it a doddle
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
A lot depends on how long you want to take to get here. Most Sun Runners cross to Santander mainly to avoid the possibility of bad weather in France.
Unless you plan to cross the Pyrenees in winter, you have the choice of heading for Biarritz in the west or Perpignon in the east if you are crossing to Calais. Biarritz is probably the shorter of the two.
Expect bad weather in France and probably NW Spain and then if you do hit it you will be prepared.
Not saying that you can't cross the Pyrenees in the winter as I've done it, but it can get a bit scary at times when you hit snow and you most certainly will.
Perpignon has always been my chosen route in the winter as the weather is usually better on east side of Spain at that time of the year.
Hope that helps a bit.:Cool:
Pete

If I were you I would check on pitch availability at your chosen site's unless you plan to wildcamp. The more popular site's are booked well in advance from Sept. Thru' to March by the Germans,Dutch, Brits,Danes and Fins. and the odd Estonian these days.

PS weather here in the Costa Del Sol is cool and wet, you are having better weather in the UK I hear.:Angry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

maurice

Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
alston lancashire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
two years
Hi thanks for the advise we are not in to big a hurry we were concerned about how bad the weather might be do you know if it is law to carry snow chains in winter as far as ferry crossing we use dover for the shortest sail time my wife is not a good sailor.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Hi thanks for the advise we are not in to big a hurry we were concerned about how bad the weather might be do you know if it is law to carry snow chains in winter as far as ferry crossing we use dover for the shortest sail time my wife is not a good sailor.

I have not heard of snow tyres or chains being compulsory in France or Spain.

If you stick to the Motorways when you feel you may encounter bad weather, then you should be OK. Actually if you plan to use the Motorway's all the way down you should not have any problems, with snow.

One point though the French don't appear to clean the facilities for MH's on the Motorways during the winter, and I've found that most are unuseable at that time of the year.:Angry:
Pete.

PS I would advise not going anywhere near the Paris Peripherique no matter what time of the day or night. I've done it just the once and without the TomTom I would probably still be there, even then it was touch and go at times.

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Enjoy the trip and have a good time in Spain,:thumb:
Pete

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Have been stranded on the motorway near Burgos due to snow in winter despite numerous snowploughs - may be best keep to the East of the Pyrenees.

Paris Peripherique is not for everybody but managed without problem four years running with a 32-foot RV towing a car. makes for one of the quickest routes down (if you don't get held up). On Sundays there are no trucks - so we were probably illegal :RollEyes: Haven't used it but there is a motorway road to the east that lets you avoid the worst but haven't got a map in front of me to give you the number.

:Smile:
Keith

OP
OP
M

maurice

Free Member
Jan 29, 2008
alston lancashire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
two years
When Katie pulled Borris is probably responsible for us thinking we can do this trip. thanks brilliant book

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Thanks - so glad you enjoyed the book.::bigsmile:

There are a few for sale on the website How Katie Pulled Boris at a bargain price but only before we go away again.

Don't hesitate to do your trip - stay relaxed - go with the flow - don't be afraid to ask for help from fellow travellers and you'll have a great time.

If I can help in any way let me know.

Good Luck
:Smile:
Keith

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Hi Maurice, with regards to snow chains, in France it is compulsory that you have them and fit them in certain areas, some areas being The Massive Central, Pyrenees.

Steven Fawcett

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
manchester
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
xmas and new year

i have just read your reply to a member can you advise me
i am sailing from plymouth to santandar then driving across to alicante my return journey is via roscof because i am taking a dog brittani ferries do not return via santandar untill march do you think i will enconter bad weather on return journey please could you advise.
thank steve.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi we went to Spain in January from Dover, went straight down via Paris we have done the Periphèrique many times, the one tip I will give is stay on the 2nd or even 3rd lane in and its OK, if you stay in the nearside lane its a nightmare you keep getting spat out, and end up LOST:ROFLMAO: then get on the A71 Clermont-Ferrand where there was about 6" of snow on the side of the road and ice but not bad with care:Doh: I know but Jane wanted to go over the Milau Bridge:RollEyes: so we had to go that way and see reads the map:ROFLMAO: The biggest problem we found is France is a Big Cold Country in winter and its a job to get water so make sure you take plenty with you::bigsmile: and being cold I think you will not want to hang around to long, you can get down to Spain in 3 cold day's.:ROFLMAO: Most of the Aires had there water turned off, but you could go here: vanessas-stopover a Member on here, we nearly got there this time Vannesa but not quite:Sad:maybe next time.:thumb: But if you want aviod that go Le mans and Bordeaux its a lot milder weather on that route. :Smile: If you have LPG autogas gpl whatever you wish to call it, remember to fill up before you cross the border Good Luck.Bob.:thumb:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Hi Steve,
You should not encounter any problems as the main roads are kept clear, you will see plenty of snow at the roadside, your only real problem will be getting water as most of the Aire de service's have the water turned off, still as long as you have enough for a cuppa who needs a shower.
Have a good trip
Bill :winky:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have done this trip many times and never had a problem with snow or ice on the main roads.Some places in the Spanish mountains require snow chains but you will not be going anywhere near them.
Never had a problem with topping up with water,1 before you fill up with fuel ask if you can fill your water tank if they say no drive off to another garage,I have never been refused. 2 If you dont need fuel just find a cemetary dead cert they will have a water tap there. :thumb:
Just go, take your time France is great in the winter with little traffic.But you wont top up your sun tan until you get to Spain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back