joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
It might appear that way at first (was in amsterdam a few weeks ago and have just about got over in) but they are relatively safe and segregated from traffic. more bikes than people in amsterdam lol takes some getting used to as a pedestrian!

That's cos unlike the UK its flat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
It seems to me.. That.. On top of my last outburst.. You seem happy to on one hand sing the praises of hm government.. Whilst simultaneously slating them for not jumping when you demand your super duper cycle lane.
Furthermore.. I find your cavalier attitude to deciding how everyone around you should drive quite sad.
.. And
I do admire your ability to duck and dive and avoid any points you're not comfy with/don't have a script for.
Blocking traffic is an offence.. You must not do it. It's obstruction...
There's another offence some of you cyclists probably commit too.. But that only kicks in when someone's injured.. And that's normally the cyclist.. sadly

Of course its an offence to cause an obstruction on the "Queens Highway" even a slow moving one but apparently not if your a cyclist:whatthe:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
There is no law regarding the fitment of bells to bicycles. (I wish there was).

In part your correct as that intended regulation was withdrawn in 2011 BUT all bikes being displayed for sale in a dealers shop must have a bell fitted until the bike is sold

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Did you know you have to have a tax disc for a mobility scooter? Even though you have no number plate and no where to stick it....well, that's repeatable anyhow! ;)

Yes but only if it can travel at 8mph on the road AND it also has to have lights and indicators etc. You can ride on the pavement but you have to switch to footpath mode which allows a maximum speed of 4mph. Some scooters (usually the less expensive) travel at a maximum of 4mph and are only suitable for pavement use and don't require a tax disc.
However I do think 3rd party insurance should be required I also understand the cost is low

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
How do they do this? have they got a cycling medium they contact from "the other side" :whistle: :ROFLMAO:

No, apparently there's a brief with a moustache and clipboard from 'Sue Grabbit and Runne' waiting at the pearly gates to assist them in their 'life-changing' legal action.:sneaky:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
A frustrating time can be had when driving in Richmond Park. There is a 20 mph speed limit in place which most cars adhere to but there are always quite a few cyclists that exceed this. They often have a speed trap in place for motorists but would this apply to catching people on a bike?

Rob

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes it would.. Many ( MANY ! ) years ago my next door neighbour was nicked for speeding on the A13 in a 40mph limit !!
Difference is.. Unless an officer is right there the cyclists will not get nicked as there is no way to know who to send the ticket to !

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Just back from my son's place....

On one side of the road (but separated from the road by a safety barrier) was a dual use cycle / pedestrian path. I have to wonder why cyclists were riding on the busy road rather than on a very wide dedicated cycle path alongside the road.

Glad to be home but already missing the grandson.
Ahh that's the Lycra holier than thou brigade ,they are everywhere bar on safe cycle lanes.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes it would.. Many ( MANY ! ) years ago my next door neighbour was nicked for speeding on the A13 in a 40mph limit !!
Difference is.. Unless an officer is right there the cyclists will not get nicked as there is no way to know who to send the ticket to !

If I gave them my details do you think they would frame it as well, its not every cyclist who can claim to have been done for speeding.

Martin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL ! Quite possibly !!
Neighbour made it to the national newspapers !!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have done 54mph on a tandem, pretty irresponsible you might think but then again the lads in the Ford Capri that overtook and threw eggs at us were not behaving very responsibly either.

It was a 60 limit and a lot of years ago (Ford Capri).

rebellious 1

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Funster No
wp_20140803_008-jpg.47673

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
A frustrating time can be had when driving in Richmond Park. There is a 20 mph speed limit in place which most cars adhere to but there are always quite a few cyclists that exceed this. They often have a speed trap in place for motorists but would this apply to catching people on a bike?

Rob

Yes When we lived and worked in London passing through Richmond Park each weekday we sometimes witnessed cyclists being pulled over and I assume given a ticket

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm a lifelong cyclist and I attribute my (so far) long life to taking up as little road as possible when cycling, as most moron motorists don't drive a foot from the gutter, but a fair few of them drive two feet or more from the gutter. I'm not proud - I'm happy with the gutter, and I'm able to control my bike well enough to stick close to it. If there's a cycle path I use it.

Consequently it annoys the Hell out of me when I encounter cyclists riding two abreast along narrow country lanes, or worse still in a long straggling pack because they belong to a club and feel it's their God-given right to re-enact the Tour de France in slow motion. As for those whom I frequently encounter riding the wrong way up a local one way - if they ever end up spread across my bonnet that's their problem.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Well, hes probably turned into a Zombie by now, like most tractor drivers.......Just got home after taking the dog out this morning. The 'B' road where we live is plastered with mud at least 2" thick. Woe betide a biker coming round the bend. :(:(

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Well, hes probably turned into a Zombie by now, like most tractor drivers.......Just got home after taking the dog out this morning. The 'B' road where we live is plastered with mud at least 2" thick. Woe betide a biker coming round the bend. :(:(

A few years ago a farmer was charged and prosecuted for manslaughter when a motorcyclist hit his mud trail and died as a result. The farmer was found guilty

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We had a far worse case than just mud on the road a few years ago..
There is a road between Thetford and Watton ( The A1075 ) that has always been a favourite for bikers
It is a lovely road with many nicely radius'd bends.
Yes, a lot due 'make progress' on the road but most simply enjoy riding it within the posted limits.
A farmer bloody giles decided he was fed up with bikers using the road for pleasure ( I suspect it was because he had repeatedly been reported for mud on the road ) and decided to seed a couple of bends with diesel

Within hours of it happening a couple of bikes had come to grief and the fire brigade, local authorities and other agencies were tasked to clear it all up.
No one could say who it was to start with, but later that week the incident was in a local paper..
Someone in a car had actually SEE chummy tipping 'something' from a jerry can that same morning.. Took the info to the police and upon confrontation dear Mr Giles admitted doing it.
He was charged with so many things ( they wanted to sure something would 'stick' ) the list was too big to be published !
He was duly fines and ordered to pay £14,000 for the clean up costs.
Since then the mud on the roads always gets cleared up and no further incidents of 'accidental' diesel spillage has occured

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
We had a far worse case than just mud on the road a few years ago..
There is a road between Thetford and Watton ( The A1075 ) that has always been a favourite for bikers
It is a lovely road with many nicely radius'd bends.
Yes, a lot due 'make progress' on the road but most simply enjoy riding it within the posted limits.
A farmer bloody giles decided he was fed up with bikers using the road for pleasure ( I suspect it was because he had repeatedly been reported for mud on the road ) and decided to seed a couple of bends with diesel

Within hours of it happening a couple of bikes had come to grief and the fire brigade, local authorities and other agencies were tasked to clear it all up.
No one could say who it was to start with, but later that week the incident was in a local paper..
Someone in a car had actually SEE chummy tipping 'something' from a jerry can that same morning.. Took the info to the police and upon confrontation dear Mr Giles admitted doing it.
He was charged with so many things ( they wanted to sure something would 'stick' ) the list was too big to be published !
He was duly fines and ordered to pay £14,000 for the clean up costs.
Since then the mud on the roads always gets cleared up and no further incidents of 'accidental' diesel spillage has occured

Bloody fool he could have caused a bikers death.
When I was a rocker in the early 60s (riding a 350 bored to 400cc Triumph Speed Twin) had something like that happened then the farmer would have been paid a visit by a mob of bikers and made to regret his dastardly deeds

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think this guy would have had the same if plod had not moved so quickly when they found out who it was !

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
If you don't 'make progress' what's the point of having a motorbike. Its like those who complain when you go to the front at traffic lights. Its not as if you'er gonna hold them up now is it

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Rob
No, the normal speed restriction signs, ie 30 mph or whatever do not apply to cyclists. These speed limits apply to motorised transport only. There are probably a few places where there is a local byelaw which might cover it but otherwise a cyclist doing say 40 downhill in a 30 mph zone can't be done for speeding but there are archaic laws ("furious cycling") which predate the invention of the automobile which could be used to charge them.

A distinction missing in this long-running thread is that there are only two sorts of road users, motorised and non-motorised and in the latter are grouped pedestrians, cyclists, horses with riders etc. As a generalisation the former group, motorised, are in charge of a potentially lethal machine that can kill and maim and regrettably does, 5 teenagers yesterday and the horrific scene we passed on the A38 today was probably one not everyone walked away from.

The other non-motorised group do kill and maim others but so rarely it makes the papers when it happens. Generally, as vulnerable road users it they who are injured by the motorised contingent.

This is why motorised road users need insurance and licenses to show proficiency and pedestrians and cyclists don't.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Keep seeing this piccy.....Is it an all year 'Trick or Treat' session? o_O
You cant keep seeing this pic I've only posted it once before! But in fairness I bought it for my mother in August just after she had a 4 month stint in hospital and I thought we should take her somewhere quite so she could have her first go. Forgot about harvesting but the driver of the tractor was laughing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back