North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
In fairness to horse riders:
Lots of them hereabouts.
When I slow down in order to pass them (coming from either direction) they generally at least have the manners to raise a hand in thanks and acknowledgement.
Never experienced this from cyclists at any time.
Sometimes I feel I should apologise for having the cheek to use THEIR road.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
:wait: OOOH! Just had to intervene and say that not all lady horse riders do that. In fact like all good road users, most of us pay a lot of attention to what is going on around us purely because we love our horses enough to keep them safe on the roads and respect the needs of other road users enough to recognise their right to a safe journey. It's a shame to judge us all by the actions of the irresponsible few you may have encountered. I think that particular sentiment can be applied to car drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and any other category of road user. We're not all bad. :oops2: Oh dear! my first rant on funsters - sorry :smiley: off to do penance and find my sense of humour again ::bigsmile:

But what about the colossal heaps they leave outside my drive , the horses that is :whistle::wink:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Good for the rhubarb. Larry.:rofl:

Edit:
Just had a thought...
If a cyclist came to grief by riding through and slipping on horse crap, that would give them a gripe to start a great thread over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just don't see how they can be so arrogant and have no sense of there own safety, you wouldn't get me on a bloody bike because they arent safe on the roads never mind get in everyone's way and then blame drivers if they get themselves killed, just don't see any sense in the things, better walking.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Let's be serious for a moment regarding rider safety and perception (or lack) of danger.

We tend to think of cyclists as the lycra clad, arse in the air folk who get all dressed up as per the Tour de France in order to cycle a couple of miles.
Good for a laugh, but remember they own the roads.
The cyclists we overlook are the kids.
Whilst riding quite legally, they are mostly unsupervised and generally have their minds on other things.
The majority of kids on a narrow road, when they become aware of a vehicle approaching from either direction, will pull over or stop, this being the safest option.
The road owning cyclists can learn from them.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Good for the rhubarb. Larry.:rofl:

Edit:
Just had a thought...
If a cyclist came to grief by riding through and slipping on horse crap, that would give them a gripe to start a great thread over.

And the roses (y)

That would be making a mountain out of a shitehill :rofl:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Let's be serious for a moment regarding rider safety and perception (or lack) of danger.

We tend to think of cyclists as the lycra clad, arse in the air folk who get all dressed up as per the Tour de France in order to cycle a couple of miles.
Good for a laugh, but remember they own the roads.
The cyclists we overlook are the kids.
Whilst riding quite legally, they are mostly unsupervised and generally have their minds on other things.
The majority of kids on a narrow road, when they become aware of a vehicle approaching from either direction, will pull over or stop, this being the safest option.
The road owning cyclists can learn from them.
Who in their right mind would let kids out on the road un supervised on bikes

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
my wife just back from her 30 mile cycle ride with her club...she absolutely loves it. lycra louts at tiny minority..all get tarred with the same brush by the ignorant

not the video I was looking for which is crazy..but these gets near!

Bless em.....:)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Same crap happens everyday in London, as a pedestrian you're in more danger from these morons than motorised vehicles at least motorised stop for lights and let you cross the road.

Before anyone starts I'm a cyclist and love it do at least 30 miles every week for fitness and pleasure, but would never behave like these idiots or like some on here seem to condone, value my life and safety too much.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Who in their right mind would let kids out on the road un supervised on bikes

Most people do.
Look around.

my wife just back from her 30 mile cycle ride with her club...she absolutely loves it. lycra louts at tiny minority..all get tarred with the same brush by the ignorant

:)

Nothing wrong with enjoying a hobby.
However:
Newsflash...Lycra louts are common.
"The ignorant" can only see what they see from a majority and form opinions accordingly.
Anyone can assume their reasonable behaviour is the norm, and "The ignorant" only see a minority.
In practice it's usually the other way around.
Folk on here are merely commenting on what they see and experience.
I would suggest the uncalled for and resented label of "The ignorant" works two ways.

I have been flagged down by cycle club race marshals on a public road and told by them (not asked) to travel at 10mph for the next 5 miles so's not to interfere with a race being held on the public carriageway, which I understand is an offence?
Having the front to stop traffic and impose their own restrictions without a please, thank you or kiss it is ignorance in the extreme, don't you think?

They would be the minority, though, eh?

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Most people do.
Look around.

Nothing wrong with enjoying a hobby.
However:
Newsflash...Lycra louts are common.
"The ignorant" can only see what they see from a majority and form opinions accordingly.
Anyone can assume their reasonable behaviour is the norm, and "The ignorant" only see a minority.
In practice it's usually the other way around.
Folk on here are merely commenting on what they see and experience.
I would suggest the uncalled for and resented label of "The ignorant" works two ways.

I have been flagged down by cycle club race marshals on a public road and told by them (not asked) to travel at 10mph for the next 5 miles so's not to interfere with a race being held on the public carriageway, which I understand is an offence?
Having the front to stop traffic and impose their own restrictions without a please, thank you or kiss it is ignorance in the extreme, don't you think?

They would be the minority, though, eh?

10 mph, they would all be overtaking you then, hope you didn't get in their way.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
:wait: OOOH! Just had to intervene and say that not all lady horse riders do that. In fact like all good road users, most of us pay a lot of attention to what is going on around us purely because we love our horses enough to keep them safe on the roads and respect the needs of other road users enough to recognise their right to a safe journey. It's a shame to judge us all by the actions of the irresponsible few you may have encountered. I think that particular sentiment can be applied to car drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and any other category of road user. We're not all bad. :oops2: Oh dear! my first rant on funsters - sorry :smiley: off to do penance and find my sense of humour again ::bigsmile:

All the horse riders around our way are ultra considerate. And so are most of the car drivers, slowing down, wide berth etc. Our tractor drivers are considerate too....just the cyclists to train then!

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
image.jpg

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just don't see how they can be so arrogant and have no sense of there own safety, you wouldn't get me on a bloody bike because they arent safe on the roads never mind get in everyone's way and then blame drivers if they get themselves killed, just don't see any sense in the things, better walking.

How do they do this? have they got a cycling medium they contact from "the other side" :whistle: :ROFLMAO:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Pity they don't clean up after them. (y)

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Actually Tootles you're mistaken. Where I come from all horse riders carry a bucket and spade with them and pick up after their horses. Local farmers and shepherds also pick up after their sheep and cattle. The local council provide us all with wet wipes and rubber gloves!! and that my friend is a pile of shite from the Isle of Wight:rofl:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just back from my son's place....

On one side of the road (but separated from the road by a safety barrier) was a dual use cycle / pedestrian path. I have to wonder why cyclists were riding on the busy road rather than on a very wide dedicated cycle path alongside the road.

Glad to be home but already missing the grandson.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
In fairness to horse riders:
Lots of them hereabouts.
When I slow down in order to pass them (coming from either direction) they generally at least have the manners to raise a hand in thanks and acknowledgement.
Never experienced this from cyclists at any time.
Sometimes I feel I should apologise for having the cheek to use THEIR road.
I agree with you about the horse riders thanking or even pulling over into a gate way.

As cyclist I always "thank" if it is safe to do so (and I pull over).

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Just back from my son's place....

On one side of the road (but separated from the road by a safety barrier) was a dual use cycle / pedestrian path. I have to wonder why cyclists were riding on the busy road rather than on a very wide dedicated cycle path alongside the road.

Glad to be home but already missing the grandson.

Probably because it full of broken bottles, tin cans and other rubbish that motorist have thrown out of there vehicles.:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back