Suggestions for first trip Devon or Cornwall (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
for a Friday to Sunday weekend. No windy roads. Like to be near sea. Pub food nearby. Ehu. First timer so I need an easy route and easy access. Anywhere springs to mind?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Are you a member of CMH club? They have a nice site overlooking Plymouth Sound, and also a nice one on North Devon Coast near Tintagel with fabulous views. Trewethett Farm. This was our very first site the day we picked up our camper from Ivybridge. Problem is cannot remember how far from pubs they are.

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Thanks for reply. I joint cc&c, asci and britstops. Plenty to read about but first hand suggestions are better, especially the easy to get to bit!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Padstow us great. Padstow touring is ok but I preferred Mother Ivy's Bay - a bit further out from Padstow centre but we took the bus & taxi. It's right on coast with its own beach and pub in walking distance but, depending on which way you arrive from depends on how winding the lanes are.
Another one we liked was C&CC Dartmouth site which ticks your required boxes.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Do you want to park motorhome up and walk to sea, how far do you want to walk to pub, what sort of campsite to you want, quiet, all singing all dancing.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
I'll second that. Can't think of anywhere down here without some windy roads. Unless you have a very big moho you should be OK.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
for a Friday to Sunday weekend. No windy roads. Like to be near sea. Pub food nearby. Ehu. First timer so I need an easy route and easy access. Anywhere springs to mind?
Hi you can stay on Exmouth seafront £6.00 24hrs or bideford north devon for £6.00 a night Penzance long rock £1.00 24hrs

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Porth caravan park
Perfect for what your looking for, flat, pub , sea, walks and easy to get there no small roads.
Plymouth Sound site? Bit of narrow roads in (we live Plymouth)
Mother Ivy's, can be narrow roads in.
Porth have rally's on now with all clubs throughout may, make enquiries
Hope this helps

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Cornwall or Devon normally means windy roads unfortunately, somewhere like Torquay isn't too bad to get to now they've finished the roadworks, Woolacombe would by my choice, I think it's one of the best beaches down south, plenty of places for food and drink as well (y)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Heck: the A30 runs from London to Lands End - NOT a winding lane! Plenty of campsites not too far off it. And not all side-roads are single track and winding either.
We even have dual carriageways (eg most of the A30) and roundabouts :rolleyes:

(OK, there's no motorway in Cornwall yet, but the A30 in CALLED 'the motorway' down yer)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Heck: the A30 runs from London to Lands End - NOT a winding lane! Plenty of campsites not too far off it. And not all side-roads are single track and winding either.
We even have dual carriageways (eg most of the A30) and roundabouts :rolleyes:

(OK, there's no motorway in Cornwall yet, but the A30 in CALLED 'the motorway' down yer)

Yeah agreed but if he wants beach and food and somewhere where he can park, without going down any windy lanes then his options become quite limited

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
There are some narrow roads, but take yourtime it'll be fine. This is the A379 near Stoke Flemming

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Thanks for the suggestions!

The plan is to pick up mh from Lee Mill and drive home to Porthpean, nice easy roads!

I'm going to join the 'I've camped on my drive club' to load up and test it out!I Sort of thinking St Ives / Sennen way, easy first run down the A30! Churchtown farm looks nice too.

Second trip, probably Woolacombe area, but not sure. After that, no plans, just go with the flow!

I think first trips are just initial nerves and playing it safe!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
If you want to be at heart of e everything like a small town ,river cruises buses to almost everywhere then Totnes caravan club site on steamer quay is fantastic location.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Why anyone wants to come to cornwall is beyond me...! No motorways, no sun, roads are atrocious, no phone signal, no wifi, no decent food, big holes all around and that's not the roads I'm talking about, no dogs on beach, no ice cream, no good looking women, no parking, too dark, dog shite all over the place, horrible people, always windy (sorry that's just me) and everyone's your cousin.....

That's why we all have motorhomes and caravans down here so we can bugger off somewhere nicer ....:cool:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Why anyone wants to come to cornwall is beyond me...! No motorways, no sun, roads are atrocious, no phone signal, no wifi, no decent food, big holes all around and that's not the roads I'm talking about, no dogs on beach, no ice cream, no good looking women, no parking, too dark, dog shite all over the place, horrible people, always windy (sorry that's just me) and everyone's your cousin.....

That's why we all have motorhomes and caravans down here so we can bugger off somewhere nicer ....:cool:
That's why only ever have Devon on my tours of the south .lol

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We stayed at the Sennen Cove C &CC site last year, can recommend it. Easy to access, and a bus goes from virtually the gate to St Just (probably other places too, but that where we went!).

Fish and chip van came round too, can't remember what night but was probably a Friday or Saturday (I know we went to Lands End on 3rd July and had F & Cs earlier in our stay)

Not far from Lands End either, or the Minac (? Spelling) theatre, and Marconi museum. Road down to Minac theatre is a bit tight in places I felt, but not untypical for the area.

If you go down there, suggest you park in the large car park just past the Marconi museum and walk to Minac, the parking at the theatre was very full and access was poor.

We gave Minac theatre a miss as they wanted £5 each to go and look round even though there was nothing on.

There is I gather a C&MC site very near to the C &CC site but we didn't go there so can't comment.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks for the suggestions!

The plan is to pick up mh from Lee Mill and drive home to Porthpean, nice easy roads!

I'm going to join the 'I've camped on my drive club' to load up and test it out!I Sort of thinking St Ives / Sennen way, easy first run down the A30! Churchtown farm looks nice too.

Second trip, probably Woolacombe area, but not sure. After that, no plans, just go with the flow!

I think first trips are just initial nerves and playing it safe!

Give me a shout when you want woolacombe area info I live and work in the area.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Lost gardens of Heligan campsite & gardens , nice site just up the road from you , gardens are worth a visit , or pop down to Gorran Haven for a day visit , large slopping car park gps 50.240202, -4.790975 roads are on the tight size in a couple of places but no real problem nice little beach etc. ,We go down 3 times a year in our 6.8 mtr moho ,as my son lives there. but avoid Mevagissey a no go for moho's too tight !!

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Lost gardens of Heligan campsite & gardens , nice site just up the road from you , gardens are worth a visit , or pop down to Gorran Haven for a day visit , large slopping car park gps 50.240202, -4.790975 roads are on the tight size in a couple of places but no real problem nice little beach etc. ,We go down 3 times a year in our 6.8 mtr moho ,as my son lives there. but avoid Mevagissey a no go for moho's too tight !!

:)
Lovely site - great walks in Lost Gardens & good farm/butchers shop at Gardens entrance!!

decameron07

Free Member
Feb 26, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Little Winnick at Pentewan Cornwall is a great site. Start Bay at Tor Cross Devon. Minnows at Tiverton bit noisy but on the canal.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I was hoping to get to the rugby club camping at st just but it wasn't to be. It is supposed to be good access & a lovely little place.
Trewethett Farm in Tintagel is a long way from a pub but I believe you can park overnight at the King Arthur's Arms pub in the centre of town for a small fee.

Gwithian Farm Campsite near Hayle is fabulous. A short walk from the beach and there's a pub at the end of the driveway. http://gwithianfarm.co.uk/

Been to this THS twice dam good value if you want good beach & dog walks over the sand dunes.
Just come back from the THS at Churchtown Farm £12.50/inc hook up. Lovely organised site with large pitches, you're on the main site, a bargain, as Fidget says..... also stayed next door at Gwithian Farm.
Rd River Inn does good food, a couple of mins walk. 2 or 3 other places to eat within a few mins walk.
:)
Lovely site - great walks in Lost Gardens & good farm/butchers shop at Gardens entrance!!
Can't remember what this used to be called but we stayed there years ago when they were just starting to uncover the gardens - it was magical, there was no cahrge to go into the gardens, you could just go through a gap in the hedge & come & go as you pleased:)

I've also had a couple of nights at Minnows by j27. If you dont mind some road noise it's a lovely site, v friendly, village a few mins walk down the canal towpath.

Good luck & enjoy:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back