stupid stupid stupid (1 Viewer)

fabweb

Free Member
May 18, 2008
Funster No
i stuipdly connected a spare 85 liesure battery to my low charged 110 battery with jump leads the wrong way round ...burnt out the jump leads

what damaged to either a battery could i have done

everything is working in the hymer except the hot water heater which was working last night no lights fuses fine ---could this be connected to my stupidity

we are currently on mains and the " storm meter" is flicking between postive 0-10 ??/ and i do not understand why

any guidence advise please

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi fabweb,

if the jumpleads where connected long enough to burn out then i would say both batteries will have cooked.:whatthe:

cant help with the lights and heater but it does sound too much of a coincidence....sorry.

john.

Upvote 0

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I'm a bit confused by the burning out of the jump leads. Normally you'd connect positive to positive and negative to negative. This gives 12v but 200 amp hours. If you've connected the leads the wrong way, i.e. Positive to Negative, then you've effectively created a 24 volt battery. That shouldn't affect the jump leads at all but it would certainly affect any 12 volt equipment that was turned on when you did it.
Sorry, I don't know what a storm meter is.

Regards
Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi doug,

yep....your confused :ROFLMAO:

its true if you connect pos to pos and neg to neg you have the combined ampage of both batteries at 12volts and if pos to neg ,but only using one lead, then you have 24volts across the other two terminals......but......if you then connect another jumplead to the other pos and neg you are in fact shorting out both batteries which can cause them to at least destroy themselves, at worst they could explode explode.

you normally know you've done this by the very large amount of sparks when you connect the final lead clamp.

Upvote 0

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks PappaJohn,
You're absolutely right.
Connecting the first lead pos to neg shoved 24v through the circuits probably destroying anything turned on.
Connecting the second lead would have created a seriously impressive fireworks display!
I have to be really careful connecting mine up. I've 4 6v batteries wired up in both series and parallel. :Eeek:

Regards
Doug

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
I think the "storm" is actually "strom" which is current (volts).I'm not suprised it is low, I would agree that it sounds like the battery is scrap. Probably why the water heater doesn't work.(hopefully).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I think the "storm" is actually "strom" which is current (volts).I'm not suprised it is low, I would agree that it sounds like the battery is scrap. Probably why the water heater doesn't work.(hopefully).
This is an old thread Peter, probably all fixed now, I should hope so anyway šŸ˜Š

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back