Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 21, 2021
Silverstream, Tyholland, County Monaghan, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
N00b
So... Last night I parked under a tree and the local crow population decided to help the new tennant below by doing a class-A plastering job on the windscreen... Really looking forward to cleaning that up come lunchtime.....

But what is the effect of birt shite on your solar panel (I hve not got one yet)
OK I coul try to avoid parking under a tree...but I do like seaside as well and the avarage B52 Gull that we have here .....avarages out at half a dozen crows

I believe the panels get hot... does it bake off?
Or does it even cause heat conduction issues?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Bird droppings do tend to bake on a bit to solar panels and best to remove asap as they will reduce the output quite a bit. As the panels are covered in glass the droppings don't cause any other issues ,but are a pain to get off similar to your windscreen ,but more so because they are not easily reached.
Best not to park under trees anyway as they wil also block your solar output.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
No stupid interesting , I would say wash it off ASAP to avoid it drying and being hard work .as for damaging it unless they are pooing rocks I would think not .have fun

OP
OP
EdRedBird
Sep 21, 2021
Silverstream, Tyholland, County Monaghan, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Transit Conversion
Exp
N00b
Jimbohorlicks Nanniemate
As its a pain to get up there...and I am now on my second coffee...... would there be something you can do with clingfilm or a similar product... I dont want that to melt onto the panel but removing and reapplying a sheet of plastic seens more pleasant than scraping.
A quick google shows you can lose 10% by adding a sheetof plastic on top but that could be compensated by having a larger or more panels .

Envo friendly ... a hard sheet of plastic tied down with guitar case clips ...easily removable and cleanable
Or a domestic version of Iron Dome mounted on the roof?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not just bird shit that will reduce the panels output. In drier weather the rain when it comes is often mixed with dust and leaves a residue all over the panels. And then there is tree sap as well.

On our first motorhome we put our two panels either side of a large opening rooflight. That enabled us to get our head and shoulders out to clean the panels from the inside. On the motorhome we have now the rooflights do not open completely so we cannot get our head or shoulders out. So we bought an aluminium telescopic ladder to reach the panels and clean the muck off. I try to do it once a week when we are touring. But we were lucky because we had the space and payload to store the ladder.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can you reach them via a skylight? If so then a mop/long handled squeegee would probably be the best bet for cleaning them, I wouldn't put a covering on as then you've got the issue of losing input, making it secure enough so it can't come away or 'flutter' in the wind, and if you're in a particular area where you get droppings a lot you'd be doing it every day.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But what is the effect of birt shite on your solar panel (I hve not got one yet)
same as dust . cuts output. Here where I live they need cleaning at least twice a week. I was quite amazed when in the Uk for 2 months how little dirt/dust/muck got on the panels? i only ever wiped them twice

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Acid (from the poo) is more of an issue on the bodywork

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Wash mine twice a year balancing on a rather rickety ladder no fun too mean to by a new safer one but at Malvern show so you never know

rf9ridrer

Free Member
Sep 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
2007 ACE FIRENZE
same as dust . cuts output. Here where I live they need cleaning at least twice a week. I was quite amazed when in the Uk for 2 months how little dirt/dust/muck got on the panels? i only ever wiped them twice
Even worse when its the dreaded red dust!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Bird poo is not going to harm the panels but a big dolop on a panel you could lose all the output from that panel. Don't normally get much bird poo on ours mainly dust & sand especially when in Spain.
Like Peter we carry a telescopic ladder.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back