Stream or download films (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Can someone tell me what uses up less Gb streaming or downloading a film to watch later ?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I always download onto a 32gb stick so we can watch while we're away. The files are all different, MKV are usually the smallest size though. The other formats are avi and mp4. Don't know much about streaming 🤔

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Downloading.
Example a 30 min program loaded off Netflix to my tablet take maybe a minute..
My grandkids and myself always download some films and programs onto tablets to watch while away, ready for rainy days or when they go to bed early.

As a very rough rule of thumb if you stream it will take about 1gb of data per hour. So be careful if you have limited data package.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Downloading uses less data as with a lot of the services you can chose the quality for the download, Prime for example gives you 3 or 4 diffent resolutions, Netflix 2.
If its for viewing in the van you won't notice the difference on a small screen.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Can someone tell me what uses up less Gb streaming or downloading a film to watch later ?
When you stream content it will adapt to a bitrate that your internet & connected device can support. This is called Adaptive bitrate streaming.
So, for smart phones & tablets this will nearly always use less GB than a download of the same content done at home.
There are variables like what download choice you make as outlined by Lenny HB but mostly you'd pic a good quality download format & make the devices' screen be the limitation rather than the internet quality. imo

The question you need to ask is where would you prefer to take the hit on the data needed to watch movies & other programs?
Probably on the home internet for content you expect to watch.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I download from Amazon and Netflix at home I use an old phone , and play it on the tv using a cable. It is possible to download a whole series to watch offline, but turn wifi off before playing

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There is a quirk/bug with Netflix & Prime downloads is that if Wifi is connected to your device when you play a download it doesn't play the download it streams.

What makes it worse is that you can't connect to Netflix of Prime even to play your downloads without an internet connection. I've not tried it to see if it happens with a hard wired connection, my Android TV box I use hard wired at home but on Wifi in the van.

Two ways around the problem.
1. Open Netflix/Prime with the internet connection turned on, once the app has opened you can turn your Mifi off or disable data on your phone. Then any downloads will then play OK.

2. Open Netflix/Prime with the internet connection turned on, once the app has opened disable Wifi on the device, Android TV box/Firestick/Smart TV etc. Then any downloads will then play OK.
This method allows you to carry on browsing the web as well.

I assume The Ex-Gasman has found this out.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
There is a quirk/bug with Netflix & Prime downloads is that if Wifi is connected to your device when you play a download it doesn't play the download it streams.

What makes it worse is that you can't connect to Netflix of Prime even to play your downloads without an internet connection. I've not tried it to see if it happens with a hard wired connection, my Android TV box I use hard wired at home but on Wifi in the van.

Two ways around the problem.
1. Open Netflix/Prime with the internet connection turned on, once the app has opened you can turn your Mifi off or disable data on your phone. Then any downloads will then play OK.

2. Open Netflix/Prime with the internet connection turned on, once the app has opened disable Wifi on the device, Android TV box/Firestick/Smart TV etc. Then any downloads will then play OK.
This method allows you to carry on browsing the web as well.

I assume The Ex-Gasman has found this out.
Prime
Prime playback works as expected when offline for downloads. That's how the kevenh possie have watched media this summer.
I haven't recently checked if having wifi enabled makes it switch to streaming but it did seem to switch to streams earlier this year despite there being offline content.

Netflix
I haven't a subscription going for my Netflix account to test how that works with downloads.

edit: I think I used Prime with the iPad mini 4 but definitely the Fire HD 10 is playing downloads as intended

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Prime
<snip>

edit: I think I used Prime with the iPad mini 4 but definitely the Fire HD 10 is playing downloads as intended
OK, I just verified that Prime works offline for downloads on iPad mini 4 (IOS 14.0 (sorry))
There was a popup when I launched the Prime APP about needing to enable "wifi to access data" but I chose "OK" & ignored that.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
OK, I just verified that Prime works offline for downloads on iPad mini 4 (IOS 14.0 (sorry))
There was a popup when I launched the Prime APP about needing to enable "wifi to access data" but I chose "OK" & ignored that.
I use an Android TV box so I don't know how it works on Apple on my box you can't even open the app without a connection.

You can get a 30 day trial of Netflix just with an email address, had loads of trials with them by just using different emails.
Also if you know anyone else with an account you can connect 4 or 5 different devices at the same time. We use my daughters account, interesting she only pays ÂŁ2 a month in Thailand.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
You guys will know, will it work?
Before I go round the back of the home tele, & pull out wires to test the theory will my VM Tivo digital box, that has loads of stuff downloaded to it, work if I take it out to the van and play via HDMI lead from box to Avtex tele, without being connected to VM broadband.
I bet it wont somehow, but worth a punt on here first(y):giggle:
LES

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You guys will know, will it work?
Before I go round the back of the home tele, & pull out wires to test the theory will my VM Tivo digital box, that has loads of stuff downloaded to it, work if I take it out to the van and play via HDMI lead from box to Avtex tele, without being connected to VM broadband.
I bet it wont somehow, but worth a punt on here first(y):giggle:
LES
If it works in the house without the internet connection it will work in the van.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I use an Android TV box so I don't know how it works on Apple on my box you can't even open the app without a connection.
Works OK on Apple OS & Amazon's slim version of the Android OS so looks like you're unlucky & it's not lots of devices that can't work offline for downloaded media.

Lenny HB said:
You can get a 30 day trial of Netflix just with an email address, had loads of trials with them by just using different emails.
Also if you know anyone else with an account you can connect 4 or 5 different devices at the same time. We use my daughters account, interesting she only pays ÂŁ2 a month in Thailand.
Thanks for the heads up on trials.
I let my Netflix subs lapse after my last free trial.
When there's something on there I can't wait to come to other platforms I may setup a new account but not to test a forum query :p :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Works OK on Apple OS & Amazon's slim version of the Android OS so looks like you're unlucky & it's not lots of devices that can't work offline for downloaded media.
Just had a play, Prime now works without an Internet connection but Netflix doesn't.

Come across another problem Prime with now, it will only let you download over Wifi, not with a hardwired ethernet connection. S00o that's screwed me. You wonder where there get the idiots from that configure the apps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back