Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Southam
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Exp
I'm a newbie
Our fridge has had a developed a mind of its own. On electric hook up the fridge works. When we're unplugged and running on gas, the fridge works. When I start the engine, which I assume is when the fridge switches to 12v, the fridge doesn't work. No lights, nothing at all.

I don't know if this helps, but we have been parked in the same spot for four days without an electric hookup apart from a short period when I plugged in to our suitcase generator. The batteries dropped to a level this morning that cut the heating, the fridge and the lights out. I ran the generator for two hours today to recharge the batteries. Everything seemed fine until I started the engine this evening to move to the aires water point and noticed the fridge not working.

Any ideas?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Not telling you how to suck eggs here but have you checked the fuses?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Stuck relay?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Another silly question, it is a three way fridge isn't it? And not just a two way?

Did it ever work on 12v before?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
On ours the spade connector at the back of the fridge had worked loose. Hope yours is as simple!

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
If your fridge is the same as ours then it is not designed to run on 12V when the vehicle is stationary. There is a sensor that only allows it to run when the vehicle is travelling in excess of 5mph. When the vehicle is stationary, i.e when you are camped, then it runs on either hook up or gas as yours seems to do without problem.

The Tincas

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our fridge will only work on 12v if the engine is running and alternator charging.
Travelling Up North last week, I noticed the red 12v light had gone out. It's been parked for a few days running on gas but yesterday, I thought I would check it out. I took out and reinserted fuses and wiggled a few wires, started the engine and the light came on and it seems to be working now.
Gremlins

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
We had the same problem. Also the electric step had stopped working. It did turn out to be a blown fuse.

OP
OP
Originalsmoothie

Originalsmoothie

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Southam
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for all the excellent advice. The fridge is three way according to the icons on the front panel, the problem isn't a blown fuse, and the fridge doesn't appear to have a sensor which stops it from running on 12v when the vehicle is stationary.

I'm not going to worry about the problem too much at the moment. Our travel regime is now to drive for just an hour or two to the next aire. I think we can manage without the fridge running for short periods like that.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You do not say what motorhome you have and what fridge is fitted to it. I suspect information on both will be needed to come up with a definitive answer.

If it is British built motorhome then the 12V to the habitation area is probably automatically cut off when you switch off the engine (daft requirement of the NCC). However the fridge should work on 12V only when you have the engine running, given that it is a 3 way fridge. In fact if you have an AES (automatic energy selection) fridge it will automatically switch to 12V when you switch on the engine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back