Still not decided where to go!!! (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are off through the tunnel in a weeks time and still not decided where to go for two and a half weeks. We thought of France and Germany as we don't have as much time as we would have liked.

Last year we went up and down the Mosel and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've heard of the Romantic Road but don't know much about it. Also years ago we went to the Alsace region with a caravan - wouldn't mind going that way again with the MH. I've read a bit about Oridour sur glen - oh dear there are so many places to visit!

Any recommendations for these places - could we do all of them? We have bikes, we don't mind using public transport but I can't walk very far.

Thanks

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Any canal side aires in France are beautiful- even I can bike along the paths- nice and flat. Hope you have the best time- no need to plan really ❤️

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
My friends always tell me where to go
The same place my enemies do ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Similar situation here. We go Thursday for 20 days and have been keeping an eye on www.ventusky.com to see what the weather is doing where.
It only does 10 days in advance but Germany romantic road area is going to be so hot that it negates 4 to 5 hours of the day. Anything down the south of france has also been negated, as has Holland which is also going to be 30 degrees plus.
Brittany at the moment will be 22 degrees (which normally means 26 ish) and ile de re will be 26 which means 30ish in real terms.
It looks like Brittany for us and dropping down should it not quite be warm enough or inland to la loire region.
Alsace and Juras would be our other port of call but too hot there as well but plenty of lakes and rivers (as there are in france everywhere)
Main plan is to try to keep away from as much of the holiday destinations as possible so inland aires for us we think and use the motorbike to get to the beaches

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We LOVE unplanned adventures (y) The only 'small' caveat I would put forward in THIS case is that the WHOLE of France will also be on holiday in August! So places are really busy (full aires and campsites) and many of the boulangeries are closed coz they have also gone on holiday!

Just sayin :rolleyes:

We 'plan' to avoid France in August :) (Romantic road is nice, so is the Black Forest)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably won't be too bad in August if you avoid sites and stick to Aires and wilding.
Last year were there last week of August I know it's the end of the busy period never had a problem with space on Aires.
This year in June needed to get to Aires early to get a space but sites we passed looked empty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The Alsace is beautiful, just spent the best part of two weeks there. Check out Camping Vauban at Neuf Brisach. Informal site, lovely town and only a couple of miles from Germany.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
The French Alps, it’s not busy as most of the French seem to head to the coast, lots of spots to stop, beautiful views and a lovely temperature.

82EAFD07-3C38-4F40-B467-4D5A3749FDCF.jpeg

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for your comments. Will probably leave the tunnel and head towards the Alsace region and see what happens.
I will look at the links as well. Thank you

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@The Cruisers Nice (y)

Then if it IS busy you are only a stones throw away from Black Forest and the Romantic road (we LOVE the Alsace by the way :))

A win/win :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back