Steam Rallies/Steam in General

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Dazcaz, May 24, 2017.

1. Dazcaz

Dazcaz

Ratings:
    +100
    Hello.
    Something that has taken over our lives in recent years is exhibiting at steam rallies and the like.
    We own a 3" Burrell traction engine and a 3" scale Ransomes hay baler. These are mounted on a bespoke trailer as a working exhibit.
    We exhibit at steam rallies around the midlands (though we're from Cardiff) and outside the model tent at The Great Dorset Steam Fair.

We got into the steam rally scene 20150419_122202.jpg through my other hobby of ham radio. We were invited to put on a demo station at a rally and we've been going to them ever since. We've owned the engine for 3 years, so the radio side of things has taken a back seat. I do set up a ham radio station, but it doesn't get a lot of use when the engine is in steam.

I guess that there must be a few other steam fans out there. We're not really railway people, preferring road steam, but we do enjoy preserved railways and often plan holidays around at least one!

• Nice One! Nice One! x 8
    • Like it Like it x 6
    • Love it Love it x 5
  2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,812
    Ham . Yes..
    Steam fan....... er.. Like to see them and appreciate the work put in by those show show them off. (y)
    Love to go to Welland steam fair.. Great location and fantastic weekend usually had there...

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. Dazcaz

Dazcaz

Ratings:
    +100
    I love Welland! It's a superb Show. They can have some dodgy entertainment though ;-)
    I see that you are from Cannock. We'll be at (visiting) Elvaston castle Steam Rally later in the year. A superb gathering in a wonderous location. Great camping, great walks, great rally! About an hour from Cannock.
    We'll be exhibiting at The Stoke Prior Steam Rally (Bromsgrove) late September. A nice show. worth stopping overnight to see Dr Busker!

• Like it Like it x 2
  4. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +9,190
    The owner of tomcat campsite at Ipswich has a full sized traction engine in his workshop.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,812
    I used to trade at the ham Rallies at Elvaston... Happy days :)
    Kids and wife used to like that one, along with Drayton manor and Longleat....

PS... Know what you mean.. We saw "a" bay city roller there once.. Just one.. :whistle: and not the best one..

6. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,104
    I think we're exhibiting our Morris 1000 at that one! Dr Busker is brilliant :)

• Like it Like it x 2
  7. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +15,104
    I bet that was Eric Faulkner - we actually walked out of the beer tent at a festival when he was 'performing'.

8. Paul & Elaine

Paul & Elaine Funster

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all

Another steam fan.

Unfortunately my little toy (a full size Fowler T3 roller) is out of action this summer. We are undertaking some major repairs including new piston rings. We normally alternate between Welland and South Cerney. Work limits the amount of shows we get to.

All being well I will be at Stoke Prior with both the roller at half size foden wagon.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  9. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ratings:
    +4,561
    In the 90s I used to show a Sunbeam S7 motorbike at steam rallies and had some great times especially Friday and Saturday nights in the beer tent, I don't own the Sunbeam any more but we are camping at the Smallwood rally at Sandbach this week end.

John.

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Ratings:
    +9,060
    The steam fair that was on at the Pembrey rally last year was a nice surprise.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  11. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Ratings:
    +9,901
    I adore steam fairs & was extremely lucky to count the late great founder of The Great Dorset Steam Fair Michael Oliver MBE as one of my friends. Some folks seem to think that steam is a thing of the past but that's far from the truth as even modern nuclear power stations use steam to generate electricity.

12. Dazcaz

Dazcaz

Ratings:
    +100
    If this was a couple of years ago, we were there. Treated to a 20 minute version (so it seemed like) of Shang-a-lang.... Dire to say the least!

13. Dazcaz

Dazcaz

Ratings:
    +100
    Our little engine "Bethania" is having a new boiler after Stoke Prior... This is assuming she survives the season. A couple of leaking tubes, slowly getting worse. Going from copper to steel.
    Good luck with the Fowler. They're nice engines. Hope to see you in September, if not sooner!

14. androidGB

androidGB

Ratings:
    +587
    I shall be at the Great Dorset Steam Fair this year with my grandson. Really looking forward to it as been a few years since I last went.

Andrew

15. Dazcaz

Dazcaz

Ratings:
    +100
    We'll be outside the model tent making small hay bales which we'll be selling in aid of Help for Heroes. Come along and say hello.

16. andyman

andyman Funster

Ratings:
    +893
    We are off to Carrington at the weekend. I am also on the committee for Rempstone Steam and Country Show.
    Steam Faurs are a great weekend with something for all the family.

• Like it Like it x 2
  17. Lucky one

Lucky one Funster

Ratings:
    +900
    We too are slaves to steam rallies .... exhibiting throughout the season ...not steam though.
    @androidGB The fun fair and steam line up on Saturday night at Dorset are amazing !

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

Ratings:
    +3,393
    Its great to see that there is such a following of steam on here maybe we need a page of rallies or shows for people to follow and possibly attend.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Love it Love it x 1
  19. sedge

sedge Funster

Ratings:
    +5,633
    Got a very soft spot for all things steam - I adored steam rollers tarmacking the roads when I was little - but my mom wasn't keen. Apparently when my sis had whooping cough before I was born (hence the only thing I never caught off her before I started school - where she'd caught whatever it was, usually LOL) she made my poor old grandma take Gill for a walk round to where they were road rolling - cos she hated the smell - and the hot tar fumes were sposed to be good for the chest in those days, OMG.

Love the legend on the tape around the exhibit! Few chaps on here could do with some of that on their toys!

• Like it Like it x 1
  20. androidGB

androidGB

Ratings:
    +587
    Thank you @Dazcaz will do, yes I've experienced the Saturday night @scammellmanswife , agree it is spectacular.

Andrew

• Like it Like it x 1