Steam Rallies/Steam in General (1 Viewer)

Dazcaz

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years of MHing. Many more Camping
Hello.
Something that has taken over our lives in recent years is exhibiting at steam rallies and the like.
We own a 3" Burrell traction engine and a 3" scale Ransomes hay baler. These are mounted on a bespoke trailer as a working exhibit.
We exhibit at steam rallies around the midlands (though we're from Cardiff) and outside the model tent at The Great Dorset Steam Fair.

We got into the steam rally scene
20150419_122202.jpg
through my other hobby of ham radio. We were invited to put on a demo station at a rally and we've been going to them ever since. We've owned the engine for 3 years, so the radio side of things has taken a back seat. I do set up a ham radio station, but it doesn't get a lot of use when the engine is in steam.

I guess that there must be a few other steam fans out there. We're not really railway people, preferring road steam, but we do enjoy preserved railways and often plan holidays around at least one!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ham . Yes..
Steam fan....... er.. Like to see them and appreciate the work put in by those show show them off. (y)
Love to go to Welland steam fair.. Great location and fantastic weekend usually had there...

OP
OP
Dazcaz

Dazcaz

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I love Welland! It's a superb Show. They can have some dodgy entertainment though ;-)
I see that you are from Cannock. We'll be at (visiting) Elvaston castle Steam Rally later in the year. A superb gathering in a wonderous location. Great camping, great walks, great rally! About an hour from Cannock.
We'll be exhibiting at The Stoke Prior Steam Rally (Bromsgrove) late September. A nice show. worth stopping overnight to see Dr Busker!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The owner of tomcat campsite at Ipswich has a full sized traction engine in his workshop.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I love Welland! It's a superb Show. They can have some dodgy entertainment though ;-)
I see that you are from Cannock. We'll be at (visiting) Elvaston castle Steam Rally later in the year. A superb gathering in a wonderous location. Great camping, great walks, great rally! About an hour from Cannock.
We'll be exhibiting at The Stoke Prior Steam Rally (Bromsgrove) late September. A nice show. worth stopping overnight to see Dr Busker!

I used to trade at the ham Rallies at Elvaston... Happy days :)
Kids and wife used to like that one, along with Drayton manor and Longleat....

PS... Know what you mean.. We saw "a" bay city roller there once.. Just one.. :whistle: and not the best one..

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

I think we're exhibiting our Morris 1000 at that one! Dr Busker is brilliant :)

Aug 16, 2015
Evesham
Funster No
MH
C class elddis
Exp
Newbie, long time caravaner
Hi all

Another steam fan.

Unfortunately my little toy (a full size Fowler T3 roller) is out of action this summer. We are undertaking some major repairs including new piston rings. We normally alternate between Welland and South Cerney. Work limits the amount of shows we get to.

All being well I will be at Stoke Prior with both the roller at half size foden wagon.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
In the 90s I used to show a Sunbeam S7 motorbike at steam rallies and had some great times especially Friday and Saturday nights in the beer tent, I don't own the Sunbeam any more but we are camping at the Smallwood rally at Sandbach this week end.

John.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I adore steam fairs & was extremely lucky to count the late great founder of The Great Dorset Steam Fair Michael Oliver MBE as one of my friends. Some folks seem to think that steam is a thing of the past but that's far from the truth as even modern nuclear power stations use steam to generate electricity.

OP
OP
Dazcaz

Dazcaz

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
PS... Know what you mean.. We saw "a" bay city roller there once.. Just one.. :whistle: and not the best one..

If this was a couple of years ago, we were there. Treated to a 20 minute version (so it seemed like) of Shang-a-lang.... Dire to say the least!

OP
OP
Dazcaz

Dazcaz

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi all

Another steam fan.

Unfortunately my little toy (a full size Fowler T3 roller) is out of action this summer. We are undertaking some major repairs including new piston rings. We normally alternate between Welland and South Cerney. Work limits the amount of shows we get to.

All being well I will be at Stoke Prior with both the roller at half size foden wagon.

Our little engine "Bethania" is having a new boiler after Stoke Prior... This is assuming she survives the season. A couple of leaking tubes, slowly getting worse. Going from copper to steel.
Good luck with the Fowler. They're nice engines. Hope to see you in September, if not sooner!

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I shall be at the Great Dorset Steam Fair this year with my grandson. Really looking forward to it as been a few years since I last went.

Andrew

OP
OP
Dazcaz

Dazcaz

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We'll be outside the model tent making small hay bales which we'll be selling in aid of Help for Heroes. Come along and say hello.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We are off to Carrington at the weekend. I am also on the committee for Rempstone Steam and Country Show.
Steam Faurs are a great weekend with something for all the family.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
We too are slaves to steam rallies .... exhibiting throughout the season ...not steam though.
@androidGB The fun fair and steam line up on Saturday night at Dorset are amazing !

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Got a very soft spot for all things steam - I adored steam rollers tarmacking the roads when I was little - but my mom wasn't keen. Apparently when my sis had whooping cough before I was born (hence the only thing I never caught off her before I started school - where she'd caught whatever it was, usually LOL) she made my poor old grandma take Gill for a walk round to where they were road rolling - cos she hated the smell - and the hot tar fumes were sposed to be good for the chest in those days, OMG.

Love the legend on the tape around the exhibit! Few chaps on here could do with some of that on their toys!

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Its great to see that there is such a following of steam on here maybe we need a page of rallies or shows for people to follow and possibly attend.

Great idea!

What about a page that lists Steam Fairs and Classic Car Shows, where people can add their local events.

I hate seeing reports of events that I know I could have attended had I known about them

Andrew

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dazcaz

Dazcaz

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The fun fair and steam line up on Saturday night at Dorset are amazing !

The midnight whistle off is always the highlight of the show. It's moved to Sunday now though, as the show is open on the BH Monday. Such an amazing noise!

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I have a few minutes including a 6 inch Garrett Showman's . Being 15 minutes from Great Dorset we are regular visitors .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back