Starting a blog (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Despite our growing excitement about our month long 1st trip in the MoHo, we're still managing to be very practical and make sure we pack everything we might need. DH has raised the odd eyebrow and my version of things I might need compared to his :giggler:
But after talking to our various friends to make sure we've said goodbye etc, they've all asked for updates, photos and details of where we are and what we're doing. So I thought about starting a blog and have read a little online about them. But it does seem there are costs involved with them, which considering we're only off for a month this time, is a bit expensive. Emails may be the only way but the files will be big due to pictures.
Now I've learnt very quickly on this wonderful forum that there really isn't anything you lot don't know. So would you give us your tips or suggestions about this, please?

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Personal opinion as a reader of trips taken by members here.
Just start a thread here and add to it day by day.
Blogs I find get forgotten whereas a thread here keeps appearing in What's New.
Blogs always seem to start at the beginning when I remember to go to them which is in the end for me a good reason to give up on them.
Threads followed here go to the point you last read it which I much prefer.
Whatever you do make sure there's lots of pics.
Enjoy your trip whichever way you go.

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Thank you for replying. The only problem with starting a thread here is none of our friends who'd like updates are forum members. I'll happily post photos on a thread here if it doesn't bore you all!!
Just wonder if there's a way to blog without costing a fortune.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I read the title of this thread as ‘sharing a bog’ 😂

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
It's great to keep friends and family updated on your trip for lots of reasons and there's plenty of platforms to do this so good luck and enjoy. My only gripe with blogs(not yours) is the growing trend for those traveling in free vans as ambassadors! and then plead for us to donate a coffee or buy a T shirt and then lecture us on what it's like to travel Europe in lockdown. All the advice I need is on this site and a lot more informative and factual .

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Thank you again... I'm difficult I think as none of us are on Facebook nor would we want to be. That's the reason it's tricky to find the right platform. But thanks anyway, it may have to be by email I think.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I am a techie numbnut but if it's possible how about doing the whole thing on here as a thread following your journey. Then every time you write a bit about that journey then copy your words and pics and paste into an email to your friends. Seems to cover both readers in a couple of clicks.

Lee337

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None, absolutely none, although I did once own a VW T2 Westie which I used overnight a few times
I have a blog (not MH related) on google which doesn't cost anything. The interface is fairly simple & it doesn't look too bad. You do need to register for a google account but again, this is free. Try blogspot.com.

Have a look here https://mytriumphandme.blogspot.com/

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There are apps like Polarsteps and Find Penguins, which allow you to document your trips really easily and other people to follow them. We tried a few and they work well, Polarsteps was very easy and effective but we wanted something like an online diary as well and they didn't work as well for that. So use Wordpress now, which can do virtually anything as long as you put alot of effort and expertise in.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I seem to remember something about Wordpress that was relatively well used and free for blogs.

Thing might have changed and it might be outdated now but i thought it was the "go to" blog.

Lee337

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None, absolutely none, although I did once own a VW T2 Westie which I used overnight a few times
I looked at Wordpress & I think there's a cost to it now, although I could be wrong.

Wix is another one that provides free blogging but the server space is limited if you want to update photos, it's a little more complex to create and you have to put up wit constant emails asking you to upgrade to their premium service. It's also more geared up for business websites than personal blogs.

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
I looked at Wordpress last night and you have to pay £36 for the year to get a year free so that's a little confusing. But the above advice is all good so I will investigate your suggestions. Thank you again.
Has anyone ever asked a question here that no one has been able to answer? 😂😂😂😂

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thank you for replying. The only problem with starting a thread here is none of our friends who'd like updates are forum members. I'll happily post photos on a thread here if it doesn't bore you all!!
Just wonder if there's a way to blog without costing a fortune.
Your friends don't need to be members to access and read MHF. However, unless it's changed they will only see small images. To see your photos full size they need to register, which is free.

But I'm not sure what Jim thinks of inviting loads of muggles to register. 🤔

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As a family we use 23snaps. Free app, it’s not really a blogging platform but it is a way to keep family photos and comments together. You would start a group and invite your friends and family. They would not have to have the app but could just get email notifications of new posts

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Try Polarsteps. A free app, tracks your journey and all your friends can easily follow you. Add photos and a narrative, then easily have a book made of your journey when it's allover.

It is basic, but fun

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
We have a Wordpress blog which is relatively inexpensive. Family and friends enjoy looking at the pics etc and it’s a great memory jogger for when you get home. You can view ours at dearsoupdragon.co.uk. Have a great trip

Ironside

Free Member
Sep 17, 2016
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano 695G
Exp
Since 2016
We started an Instagram page for the van as so many friends had it, now even both our parents in their 80’s have Instagram accounts. 😁

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Have a look at the Polarsteps app... might do what you're looking with keeping friends updated.
I used it successfully keeping family on track with a trip to Iceland.

OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Again, many thanks. So many ideas...now I have to try and research them and pick the right one in mega fast time before we go 😁😁

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've had 2 longtime travel threads running on here and know that a few friends who aren't members managed to follow them.

I also joined Facebook so that people I knew could follow it ....but that's something I wish I hadn't done as never used it before and its more trouble than its worth at times.

And finally I have an Instagram account for photos also

I recently downloaded the polar steps app in preparation for my next trip but haven't used it yet

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Another vote for Polarsteps. It’s so easy to use and share with others.
The route tracking alone makes it perfect for recording trips.

Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
MH newbie, long time camp and caravan
We use Wordpress (the free version) to keep family and friends updated, takes a bit of effort to get it started but then very easy to add pages and update. Wordpress constantly suggest I upgrade but never felt the need. There is also an offline editor which we find useful.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
+1 for WhatsApp, set up a "group" and photos go to everyone chosen.

It's a free App and works very well for me on my Android phone. During a 9 country trip last year it was easy, needs wifi or mobile data but no costs to send messages with photos.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I’ve been using Wordpress years and it’s always been free, although I also get continuous reminders to upgrade. Never found the need so it’s still free.
The trouble is, due to laziness, I’ve not updated it for ages.
Must try harder!

Richard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back