Starter Battery (1 Viewer)

Mar 5, 2018
Stoke-on-Trent
Funster No
MH
Burster Argos
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi All, I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have a brand new Adria Sonic Supreme and to insure this I have had to have a cat 6 Tracker. Since picking up the MH I have had Battery Problems and found that there is a 1.7amp drain from the tracker. I have spoken to the Tracker provider and they suggest there is very little they can do and the amount of drain should not be overly significant as long as I run it at regular intervals. This has since been compounded by a failure of the battery which I am currently looking to replace (Best Battery Recommendations Welcome).
I would however, like to know if there is anything I can do to offset this drain and maintain the battery especially through the winter months and not rely on Jump leads to potentially pull me out of danger. I am new to motor homing and as of today know very little about MH electronics although am trying to read as much as possible. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.....an enthusiastic novice!

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Hi All, I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have a brand new Adria Sonic Supreme and to insure this I have had to have a cat 6 Tracker. Since picking up the MH I have had Battery Problems and found that there is a 1.7amp drain from the tracker. I have spoken to the Tracker provider and they suggest there is very little they can do and the amount of drain should not be overly significant as long as I run it at regular intervals. This has since been compounded by a failure of the battery which I am currently looking to replace (Best Battery Recommendations Welcome).
I would however, like to know if there is anything I can do to offset this drain and maintain the battery especially through the winter months and not rely on Jump leads to potentially pull me out of danger. I am new to motor homing and as of today know very little about MH electronics although am trying to read as much as possible. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.....an enthusiastic novice!
Do you have a solar panel(s)?

I originate in S-o-T, where abouts are you?

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

The experts will be along soon. Go get a cuppa and when you come back you will have answersšŸ˜€šŸ¤žšŸ¤ž

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tony Wilson
Mar 5, 2018
Stoke-on-Trent
Funster No
MH
Burster Argos
Exp
Im a newbie
I am from S-o-T (Commonly referred to as gods country) and yes I have solar panels, but thought this was just for the habitation battery.

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I am from S-o-T (Commonly referred to as gods country) and yes I have solar panels, but thought this was just for the habitation battery.
I'm no auto electrician but having read your post again 1.7Amps sounds high to me, surely it should only draw miliamps. Where in Stoke?, I originate in Tunstall.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tony Wilson
Mar 5, 2018
Stoke-on-Trent
Funster No
MH
Burster Argos
Exp
Im a newbie
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tony Wilson
Mar 5, 2018
Stoke-on-Trent
Funster No
MH
Burster Argos
Exp
Im a newbie
Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Will this take feed from the solar panel?
this takes the feed from the leisure battery and trickles it to the starter batt.
The solar keeps your leisure topped up, its a winner :)
I have one, easy to fit and forget.

Upvote 0
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Check your Adria documentation. This should confirm the type and specifications of the solar controller. If the same as in my new Twin it will charge both habitation and cab battery without the need for extra kit. Canā€™t advise on tracker drain.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
1.7A is a huge parasitic drain of 20W. Some battery maintainers won't even supply that much current. Certainly you're going to struggle in winter getting enough solar to maintain it. I mean that is 41Ah a day, which is the full usable capacity of an 80Ah battery. I would say that it is not fit for purpose, as it basically requires EHU at all times.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tony Wilson
Mar 5, 2018
Stoke-on-Trent
Funster No
MH
Burster Argos
Exp
Im a newbie
1.7A is a huge parasitic drain of 20W. Some battery maintainers won't even supply that much current. Certainly you're going to struggle in winter getting enough solar to maintain it. I mean that is 41Ah a day, which is the full usable capacity of an 80Ah battery. I would say that it is not fit for purpose, as it basically requires EHU at all times.
So are you suggesting I go back to the Tracker provider and inform them that this is not fit for purpose and seek an alternative tracker. They will not insure the van without one of the Cat 6 Trackers.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
So are you suggesting I go back to the Tracker provider and inform them that this is not fit for purpose and seek an alternative tracker. They will not insure the van without one of the Cat 6 Trackers.

Personally, I find it difficult to believe that the tracker really does takes 20W. That is far more than you need to run a GPS & 4G transmitter.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Is it actually the tracker that is causing the drain, or is something else running too that you haven't realised? Common ones can be a the radio system and a trickle for the ECU systems, but also look at any alarms generally (I have a Toyota car that apparently is constantly searching for a paired key in the vicinity so it can decide if it might need to unlock it if I touch the keyless door handle). What about any supply to fridges and even the habitation relays and control panels.

I hadn't focused on the actual discharge current of 1.7A. Very few devices are going to cope with that load level.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Perhaps the tracker works on the principle that it runs your battery down so quickly that your van is impossible to steal because it wonā€™t start. :rofl:
Sounds useless to me. That sort of drain,if correct,renders it unfit for purpose.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
More or less what I was going to say, totally unacceptable, you would be lucky to start the van if you left much more than 24 hours.

I think your tracker must be faulty to draw that much current I would expect less than 100ma.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Battery master might not keep up with drain on the battery. Itā€™s a good item to have or a dual output solar controller but the problem is the tracker if itā€™s drawing 1.7 amps. It should be no where near that amount. The tracker people should know that.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Hi All, I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have a brand new Adria Sonic Supreme and to insure this I have had to have a cat 6 Tracker. Since picking up the MH I have had Battery Problems and found that there is a 1.7amp drain from the tracker. I have spoken to the Tracker provider and they suggest there is very little they can do and the amount of drain should not be overly significant as long as I run it at regular intervals. This has since been compounded by a failure of the battery which I am currently looking to replace (Best Battery recommemdations
Battery recommendation... Tayna batteries, ring them direct, really helpful, they do some great non branded batteries

Upvote 0

AgeingAndrew

Free Member
Apr 3, 2020
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2016
A tracker can draw up to about 1.5Amps while it is charging, I would expect it to charge for many hours as they have large batteries.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A tracker can draw up to about 1.5Amps while it is charging, I would expect it to charge for many hours as they have large batteries.
In that case he needs to know the current draw over 24 or 48 hours,If it draws the 1.7 amps for a few hours and then only a few ma for the charger standby for a couple of days it shouldn't be a problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tony Wilson
Mar 5, 2018
Stoke-on-Trent
Funster No
MH
Burster Argos
Exp
Im a newbie
Got the Tracker provider to come out and have a look at the drain, however, their response has been "When the tracker is "asleep" - ie collecting information in standby mode it draws 23mA. When it is fully "awake" - ie moving, ignition on, actively collecting data, it draws an average of 88mA. Neither of these is enough to drain the battery."

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
1.7 amps is way more than a tracker should require. I have an excellent one that draws less than 0.2 of an amp, its a cat 5 sell singing all dancing. I would go to whoever installed it, get then to disconnect it and check your current draw to make sure it is something else. A constant draw like that without an external power source will knacker your batteries if left.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I would add: Don't try to start the engine when the battery voltage is very low. You risk the dreaded airbag light stays on fault. FIAT's airbag ECU module is over-sensitive to high or low voltages. Many Funsters like me have discovered to our cost that the ECU goes on strike. To be on the safe side, I now check that I have at least 12.7 volts reading on the starter battery before turning the ignition on.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back