Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (5 Viewers)

May 14, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2019
So, I have bought an Ethernet gizmo to go through the wall of the motorhome so can connect an Ethernet cable to outside and also to inside of motorhome.
Not confident enough to chop my Starlink cable to put Ethernet plugs on each end.
Two options - someone who knows how to chop the cable and is near York to volunteer in return for suitable refreshment reimbursement eg wine etc OR is there a simple adaptor I can buy (one for outside and one for inside) to plug Starlink cable and convert to Ethernet plug???
Pick a time when you don't need the Starlink and give it a go. As mentioned above you can make a few mistakes and you will still only lose a small bit of cable. The only thing you have to really worry about is making sure that the pinouts are the same for each of the cut ends. With pass-through connectors you can easily check. I am not near you otherwise I would be happy to do it. This Video shows it being done. It is not the best for close-ups but should give an idea of how easy it is. Please ask if there is anything you are not sure about.

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Hi - I am going to be off grid a bit this summer so am about to put together my 12v system using the Boomdocker device I already have
Dishy Dualie DC Power Supply – Boondocker
To make things easier and no cuts to the wiring and possible mistakes I was going to get the Starlink to Dishy V2 to RJ45 Adapter which saves any cuts but still leaves me with a very long cable instead of the 2 meters I need
I have seen this Starlink SPX plug to RJ45 adapter I can get the Dish only bit via Ali express for about £14 The cable has the Dish SPX plug to what seems to be a waterproof RJ45 adapter wired as a standard ethernet connecter rather than the Starlink wiring configuration
Has anyone used one of these ? - my main concern is that it does have T568B pinout - The adverts I have found mention it but it would be nice to have it confirmed
I can then easily get a ethernet cable of the length I need to plug directly into the Boondocker with no wiring cuts

Thanks

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Hi - I am going to be off grid a bit this summer so am about to put together my 12v system using the Boomdocker device I already have
To make things easier and no cuts to the wiring and possible mistakes I was going to get the Starlink to Dishy V2 to RJ45 Adapter which saves any cuts but still leaves me with a very long cable instead of the 2 meters I need
I have seen this Starlink SPX plug to RJ45 adapter I can get the Dish only bit via Ali express for about £14 The cable has the Dish SPX plug to what seems to be a waterproof RJ45 adapter wired as a standard ethernet connecter rather than the Starlink wiring configuration
Has anyone used one of these ? - my main concern is that it does have T568B pinout - The adverts I have found mention it but it would be nice to have it confirmed
I can then easily get a ethernet cable of the length I need to plug directly into the Boondocker with no wiring cuts

Thanks

Looks like a decent approach.

I will be keen to know if the waterproof Starlink dish to RJ45 adapter (you linked) is wired correctly to just ‘plug and play’ with a decent quality standard six foot cable and I can ditch the 100’s of feet of Starlink cable. 🤪

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

Thanks

ceejayt - have you seen this waterproof dishy cable connector (link in coopc post above) looks like it will plug straight into your external Ethernet socket? ✔️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
ceejayt - have you seen this waterproof dishy cable connector (link in coopc post above) looks like it will plug straight into your external Ethernet socket? ✔️
Thanks. So that would deal with one end and then into my through the wall connector. Then J would still need another one and another lead internally from the Starlink router? Have I understood that correctly ?
Cutting the cable and crimping is neater I guess

May 14, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2019
So, coops solution outside and the short cable inside? No cutting required.
You would still have to crimp a male RJ45 onto the end of the external ethernet cable as it needs to feed into the waterproof connector you have already purchased. coops outside solution only offers you a Starlink to female RJ45. The advantage is that you don't have to cut the Starlink cable but you still have to do some crimping.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
So, there is a RJ45 terminal for both ends, router and dish in the kit linked above.

I can’t find the post for the through panel socket, but I had assumed it would have a cat 6 cable either side. If so, these two connectors and two cat 6 cables of a length suitable for your application is all you need. You will no longer use the Starlink cable, just standard cat 6 cables…

Does this make sense?

May 14, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2019
So, there is a RJ45 terminal for both ends, router and dish in the kit linked above.

I can’t find the post for the through panel socket, but I had assumed it would have a cat 6 cable either side. If so, these two connectors and two cat 6 cables of a length suitable for your application is all you need. You will no longer use the Starlink cable, just standard cat 6 cables…

Does this make sense?
The through panel socket does have RJ45 female either side. However, the external socket is expecting the male encased in the waterproof sleeve and that requires the cable to be slid through and then crimped.

waterproof.png

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
So, coops solution outside and the short cable inside? No cutting required.
All I ever do is plonk the Dishy on the roof and run the cable through a roof opening which I then close
I was going to get a pre made length of shielded ethernet cable to nearest the length I need and just run it via a few cable clips to the Boondocker device which will sit beside my own GLinet router
I only need the Dish cable as not using Starlink router so no need for that cable
I have now ordered the lead from ali express
the chigwellsatellite page confirms the RJ45 pinout - thanks for the link
I will update when done

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
All I ever do is plonk the Dishy on the roof and run the cable through a roof opening which I then close
I was going to get a pre made length of shielded ethernet cable to nearest the length I need and just run it via a few cable clips to the Boondocker device which will sit beside my own GLinet router
I only need the Dish cable as not using Starlink router so no need for that cable
I have now ordered the lead from ali express
the chigwellsatellite page confirms the RJ45 pinout - thanks for the link
I will update when done

Perfect! Can you link me to the Ali express cable please as I just need the same as have boondocker already installed.

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Perfect! Can you link me to the Ali express cable please as I just need the same as have boondocker already installed.
This is the one I ordered
Below is their wording not mine !

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £12.39 | Suitable For Starlink Black Single-head Extension Cable RJ45 Adapter Cable Connected To The Network Cable Internet Adapters

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
This is the one I ordered
Below is their wording not mine !

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £12.39 | Suitable For Starlink Black Single-head Extension Cable RJ45 Adapter Cable Connected To The Network Cable Internet Adapters

Thanks - ordered one this morning! ✔️

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Can I ask WRT weather proof outdoor cat 6 cable please? I only need around 3m, a couple of decent RJ45’s and a set of crimps. What make/manufacturer should I order of all the above please? ✔️

OR… Anyone at Hereford or Pershore Plum with this kind of bits? Happy to buy components and provide beer and or wine for a lend of crimps! 🤪😇

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Morning all

Anyone else noticed the ability in the app, to now switch off the motors therin using it flat mounted…

Anyone seen any enclosures to flat mount whilst keeping the dish whole? I would like to have both options should I wish to not use on the roof.
IMG_3373.png

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Can I ask WRT weather proof outdoor cat 6 cable please? I only need around 3m, a couple of decent RJ45’s and a set of crimps. What make/manufacturer should I order of all the above please? ✔️

OR… Anyone at Hereford or Pershore Plum with this kind of bits? Happy to buy components and provide beer and or wine for a lend of crimps! 🤪😇

ignore cat6, it's not going to be required at lengths you talking to starlink. Exterior grade cat5 is what you need (ie, so the sun doesn't destroy it), along with waterproof connectors. comms express should sell them all it's who I use for any random wiring requirement -> be sure to buy full copper core cable, not the tinned aluminum as this does make a difference in ability for power delivery (you tend to get more voltage drop on latter).

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
https://www.diy.com/departments/25m...el-drum-lan-utp-rj45-cca/5055538193491_BQ.prd is probably cheapest way to get a small length of it minus connectors -> but this way it won't fail horribly if wet.

Oops that is the CCA version (coated copper) -> theres a link in there for the full copper outdoor cable, which is £19.99 per 25m length. Or you could buy a premade outdoor patch and chop and end off and reterminate.

https://www.comms-express.com/products/ce-cat5e-cable-utp-external-4-pair-ldpe-100mt-reel/ if you want acutal non CCA at 100m lengths. We use this similar to your starlink cable to connect internal routers to external antennas at a caravan site we put mobile aerials on roof fed by cat5 ;)

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
https://www.diy.com/departments/25m...el-drum-lan-utp-rj45-cca/5055538193491_BQ.prd is probably cheapest way to get a small length of it minus connectors -> but this way it won't fail horribly if wet.

Oops that is the CCA version (coated copper) -> theres a link in there for the full copper outdoor cable, which is £19.99 per 25m length. Or you could buy a premade outdoor patch and chop and end off and reterminate.

https://www.comms-express.com/products/ce-cat5e-cable-utp-external-4-pair-ldpe-100mt-reel/ if you want acutal non CCA at 100m lengths. We use this similar to your starlink cable to connect internal routers to external antennas at a caravan site we put mobile aerials on roof fed by cat5 ;)

Thanks for the detailed replies! ✔️

I think a pre-made one and a new termination is the best bet!

What’s the (lay person summary) difference between cat5 and cat6 please? Is the a standard BS or other for outdoor cables?

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
No problems if you don't use the correct coating on the cable it'll just get water ingress and fail. I can confirm I've had exterior grade cat5 on a roof for over 6 years in salty water conditions with zero issues, powering routers on roofs. Thats why I said what I did. Huge mistake to use interior grade (coloured) or similar patch cables externally as those DO fail, and they then wick the water to the ends of the cable typically destroying the connected equipment. (and yes, a friend doing wifi installs learnt this the hard way with £100's of equipment needing new cat5 ports).

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2

I think a pre-made one and a new termination is the best bet!

What’s the (lay person summary) difference between cat5 and cat6 please? Is the a standard BS or other for outdoor cables?
It's all about power delivery and speed at the max length.

You can run 2.5G or 10G on copper on cat6 with power .... at near 100m.

However if your cable is 25m, cat5e can do exactly the same task. It's all about running cables up large buildings and the max length. There is a calulator on loss, but believe me when I say unless you running 100metre cables the cable you need is 5 or 5e, as 6 will just add costs.

There is also a difference in cat6 in the termination and earthing (the conector itself is bonded both ends), but again it's not something you'll run into mostly unless you done what a previous work job did and needed to run stuff 300metres in a building.

If you connection is only 1Gbit/sec to the starlink router to the dishy (which is all I suspect it is) cat5e can run that speed, with power, at 100m lengths just fine

Should add cat6 is usually thicker and more difficult to shove in holes in wall than 5e too -> and has issuses with tight bends -> making it less good in many circumstances too. A lot of it is marketing around you can run 10G on this.. but my advice on anyone running 10G is to use fibre as it's a smaller cable for the same speed on fibre, which is more manuverable, and cheaper.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
A Gen 3 accessory (below) that actually looks moderately useful for flat mounting Motorhome applications…

Together with being able to disable the motors in Gen2 dishes, it’s seems Starlink have accepted the mobile, in motion and leisure vehicle use cases and are now providing useful changes. ✔️

IMG_3390.png

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
So, I would think someone would now start offering installation of gen 3 dish, 12v conversion etc. motorhome wifi or RoadPro or VanBitz could easily offer this I guess?

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
So, I would think someone would now start offering installation of gen 3 dish, 12v conversion etc. motorhome wifi or RoadPro or VanBitz could easily offer this I guess?

My guess it’s just commercial factors stopping them. 🙃

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back