Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (7 Viewers)

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I also think it's too expensive and definitely not for most motorhomers, the main reasons i have it are the fact that you can stop and start the contract so not paying for months that you are not using it and that I can flat mount it. You also are not reliant on a mobile mast and only clear view of the sky which is easier to accommodate but if the first 2 points were removed i would just sell it as it would be of no use to me.

Also the price is only ever going to go up so once it hits a certain point i will likely ditch it as it will just be too expensive for me to use but for the moment it suits a purpose but i dont think it's going to be long before i am outpriced by the increase in monthly fees which always seem inevitable and given this has already happened to the USA

I can only agree with you.. I think, as I said above, prices will rise.

My use case is quite unique, as in our current modus operandi sees us away in Europe for nine months of the year, so having always available, high bandwidth (pseudo) fibre just works brilliantly for me!

WRT flat mounting, my concern nine months ago when I started using Starlink, was the need to move it off the roof to gain signal in certain locations. The reality is that I’ve just sited the Motorhome to accommodate and actually, as I strive for optimal solar conditions, it’s actually not meant any change in behaviour was needed. So, flat mounting seems like it’s probably a good option for me.

So, how much real world performance will I give up flat mounting? Anyone got before and after figures in terms of download speed in certain locations before and after flat mounting? Anyone seen anything tangible in terms of data, rather just anecdotal and opinions?

Also, where can I get a flat mount housings? Everlanders design still appeals as it’s simple, but I don’t have a printer and it seems expensive (comparative to what a simple extrusion moulded piece could cost) for just a plastic bracket? Anyone seen anything new to the market I should look at?

Still loving the 12v conversion and I’m finding I am still using around 4-5A with my router and starlink dish…

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

My use case is quite unique, as in our current modus operandi sees us away in Europe for nine months of the year, so having always available, high bandwidth (pseudo) fibre just works brilliantly for me!

WRT flat mounting, my concern nine months ago when I started using Starlink, was the need to move it off the roof to gain signal in certain locations. The reality is that I’ve just sited the Motorhome to accommodate and actually, as I strive for optimal solar conditions, it’s actually not meant any change in behaviour was needed. So, flat mounting seems like it’s probably a good option for me.

So, how much real world performance will I give up flat mounting? Anyone got before and after figures in terms of download speed in certain locations before and after flat mounting? Anyone seen anything tangible in terms of data, rather just anecdotal and opinions?

Also, where can I get a flat mount housings? Everlanders design still appeals as it’s simple, but I don’t have a printer and it seems expensive (comparative to what a simple extrusion moulded piece could cost) for just a plastic bracket? Anyone seen anything new to the market I should look at?

Still loving the 12v conversion and I’m finding I am still using around 4-5A with my router and starlink dish…
My recent 24 day trip I did some testing whilst using it and I can honestly say i did not notice any drop what so ever in download speed. These are screen shots of all the tests. The double ones ie advanced speed test is the router to the Internet that's the important one.
I like the everlanders one as it has a slight slope so the water runs off. I would not buy the ones that are being sold in the USA as you can get a 3d printer yourself and filament for a lot cheaper than what they sell it for. Also I don't like the way they flat mount it as you are going right down to the circuit board where as everlanders method is just the motor you are removing
It's going to be whatever you are comfortable with though but happy to help with any questions on the way that I have done mine.

IMG_3055.png IMG_3041.png IMG_2992.png IMG_2986.png

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If I got it, it would be my sole system for home and away, I pay £27 a month for crap fibre broadband at home for around 55mbps speed and only £13 a month for Tesco (02) 60gb contract with full roaming up to my allowance ( may change soon) but I’m a heavy user and can buy around €20-40 when away on a local data sim so at the moment I pay around £55 a month.

I suppose I wouldn’t cancel my Tesco mobile if I got one so I would be paying around £45 extra for this and of course the start-up fee, I wouldn’t have the need to stop payments as I would need it all year round at home and away and for that reason I can’t justify the extra amount per month from my small income…🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007

Based on your experience and use case scenario, having already invested in the hardware and setup, at what monthly price threshold would you re-evaluate whether to continue subscribing to the service?

Sorry to put you on the spot, just curious where you think the value proposition tails off from a monthly cost perspective.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Based on your experience and use case scenario, having already invested in the hardware and setup, at what monthly price threshold would you re-evaluate whether to continue subscribing to the service?

Sorry to put you on the spot, just curious where you think the value proposition tails off from a monthly cost perspective.
For me i only paid £99 for the hardware so know where near the money they are asking today so not a lot of money invested but still some, I think personally if the monthly fee went up to £100 then that would be my cut off. I can honestly see that happening as prices only ever seem to go one way these days, the service is good but that's a lot of money to pay out each month just using it like i do when in the motorhome. For instance i am taking my grandson away in April for a weekend but i wouldn't activate it for this as it's just not worth it for the time i would then use it.
Everyone's needs will be different and i can see the appeal if you are then going to use it at home as well but that's not what i need or how i would want to use it.

It was worth it though for the time we spent away at Xmas and not having to worry about data usage and swapping sims etc but we were away for 24 days so got a lot of use out of it. This is why for me its essential to be able to stop and start the contract as when needed as for 11 months of the year i probably wont activate it currently due to work commitments (unfortunately).

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

Great question Sir.. 🤔

The issue with monopoly services, particular those monopolies where the subscribers love the service, it becomes very difficult to see how to step away…. 🤦‍♂️

I asked the wife… she said, it would have to be north of £150 before we would even think of not using it… I think probably £200+ 😱

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Great question Sir.. 🤔

The issue with monopoly services, particular those monopolies where the subscribers love the service, it becomes very difficult to see how to step away…. 🤦‍♂️

I asked the wife… she said, it would have to be north of £150 before we would even think of not using it… I think probably £200+ 😱
North of £150, i cannot see them raising it that much as i think it would push it out of reach for pretty much everyone which on a plus side means that you will get to use it for a long time yet.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
North of £150, i cannot see them raising it that much as i think it would push it out of reach for pretty much everyone which on a plus side means that you will get to use it for a long time yet.

Good… 😊

It’s actually the wife who is a TV addict over the cold winter nights… hence why I asked her for the # 😇

Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
My recent 24 day trip I did some testing whilst using it and I can honestly say i did not notice any drop what so ever in download speed. These are screen shots of all the tests. The double ones ie advanced speed test is the router to the Internet that's the important one.
I like the everlanders one as it has a slight slope so the water runs off. I would not buy the ones that are being sold in the USA as you can get a 3d printer yourself and filament for a lot cheaper than what they sell it for. Also I don't like the way they flat mount it as you are going right down to the circuit board where as everlanders method is just the motor you are removing
It's going to be whatever you are comfortable with though but happy to help with any questions on the way that I have done mine.

View attachment 859908 View attachment 859909 View attachment 859910 View attachment 859911

Thanks for this. Very useful information ✔️

Anyone producing the Everlanders style one at a bit more scale? Actually anyone know how much they cost these days? 🤷‍♂️

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
For me i only paid £99 for the hardware so know where near the money they are asking today so not a lot of money invested but still some, I think personally if the monthly fee went up to £100 then that would be my cut off. I can honestly see that happening as prices only ever seem to go one way these days, the service is good but that's a lot of money to pay out each month just using it like i do when in the motorhome. For instance i am taking my grandson away in April for a weekend but i wouldn't activate it for this as it's just not worth it for the time i would then use it.
Everyone's needs will be different and i can see the appeal if you are then going to use it at home as well but that's not what i need or how i would want to use it.

It was worth it though for the time we spent away at Xmas and not having to worry about data usage and swapping sims etc but we were away for 24 days so got a lot of use out of it. This is why for me its essential to be able to stop and start the contract as when needed as for 11 months of the year i probably wont activate it currently due to work commitments (unfortunately).
Great question Sir.. 🤔

Thanks for your replies.

As much as I would just like to try it out, we’re not currently away often enough or for the duration necessary for me to try and justify the cost to Management. Unfortunately, she’s as happy with her head in a book as watching tv, films or mooching on the interweb.

Reactions: zac

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I guess so yes! 😊
When i had my 3D printer it took a week to print it and that was with no failed prints (i had at least 3 fail on me) and approx 1kg of ABS filament which was approx £25 per kg. Its not the cost of filament its how many hours it takes to get it right and the cost of the electric i would imagine which is why people charge so much for them. Of course if you have a 3D printer yourself then its going to be a lot cheaper and its mainly going to be time spent,. Also i've seen people print them in PETG which is supposed to be ok and that would be a lot easier than ABS/ASA (same price for filament just easier printing so less failed prints).

If no printer and no interest in printing or buying a printer then i would turn to ebay or etsy, as people have picked the everlanders print up for less than £100 which i think is very cheap considering what it takes to print one.

At the moment i don't have a 3D printer as my one broke so its gone back and i currently waiting to see what happens ie what new models are coming out before i pull the trigger again.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
First could I ask why they need to be flat mounted on the roof of a MH when they don't for a house?

My house ,basically a long bungalow, has the front facing directly south. The blurb said it needs to face north & at an angle of 100/110º. So mine is mounted at front door roof edge on a short pole & facing directly North .
This is the angle
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-29 at 19.05.32_0a1ef308.jpg

Until this weekend this was pointing directly in line with the roof .Now it has moved slightly left( clockwise) ,which is westwards.
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-29 at 19.06.09_51b7e336.jpg

Just wonder why it cannot be monted the same on a MH roof?
In fact the Gen 3 would be ideal with its new type bracket.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
First could I ask why they need to be flat mounted on the roof of a MH when they don't for a house?

My house ,basically a long bungalow, has the front facing directly south. The blurb said it needs to face north & at an angle of 100/110º. So mine is mounted at front door roof edge on a short pole & facing directly North .
This is the angle

Until this weekend this was pointing directly in line with the roof .Now it has moved slightly left( clockwise) ,which is westwards.

Just wonder why it cannot be monted the same on a MH roof?
In fact the Gen 3 would be ideal with its new type bracket.
For me it's for ease of use as i dont want a pole stuck on the top of my motorhome with a dish then on top of this as this would greatly increase the height of my vehicle and likely trigger the tolls to then not even work with my toll tag for being well over the 3m height rule as well as looking ridiculous travelling down the road lol
Others will have their reasons of course, with the v3 dish i haven't seen anyone use it flat mounted on a vehicle yet as when you set it up it asks you to move the dish to better align. I dont know if this can just be skipped and its still going to work or not, won't know till someone gets one and tries it as i would of hoped you can.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Here they reduced the price to 40€ +9€ 'access fee' , whatever that is to align with most providers. At 75€ what it was before we would not have bothered even though the internet at the house is atrocious .As is the mobile signal
Great question Sir.. 🤔

Could I ask why you do not change your payment location to Spain or France if you are here for 9 months? That way you'd only be paying the 49€ in spain or 40€ in France. You would only need an address? As you have all the kit the address would only need to be for billing purposes so it could even be a property that you park next to?:giggle::giggler:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
When i had my 3D printer it took a week to print it and that was with no failed prints (i had at least 3 fail on me) and approx 1kg of ABS filament which was approx £25 per kg. Its not the cost of filament its how many hours it takes to get it right and the cost of the electric i would imagine which is why people charge so much for them. Of course if you have a 3D printer yourself then its going to be a lot cheaper and its mainly going to be time spent,. Also i've seen people print them in PETG which is supposed to be ok and that would be a lot easier than ABS/ASA (same price for filament just easier printing so less failed prints).

If no printer and no interest in printing or buying a printer then i would turn to ebay or etsy, as people have picked the everlanders print up for less than £100 which i think is very cheap considering what it takes to print one.

At the moment i don't have a 3D printer as my one broke so its gone back and i currently waiting to see what happens ie what new models are coming out before i pull the trigger again.
I printed mine in PETG, still lifted a little at the corners but not enough to cause a problem, I think I only had to remake one piece. As you say about a day a piece, probably 500g of filament used.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Great question Sir.. 🤔

That’s a lot of internet H £200 a month you could just connect to hard wired data on any site cheaper than that or am I talking bollocks 🤣

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
That’s a lot of internet H £200 a month you could just connect to hard wired data on any site cheaper than that or am I talking bollocks 🤣

🤣 Fortunately Steve, it’s a purely academic question, so no decision needed… 👍🏻

unfortunately there are no other options that compete with Starlink at the moment.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Here they reduced the price to 40€ +9€ 'access fee' , whatever that is to align with most providers. At 75€ what it was before we would not have bothered even though the internet at the house is atrocious .As is the mobile signal

Could I ask why you do not change your payment location to Spain or France if you are here for 9 months? That way you'd only be paying the 49€ in spain or 40€ in France. You would only need an address? As you have all the kit the address would only need to be for billing purposes so it could even be a property that you park next to?:giggle::giggler:
do you know if they are doing the £199.00 do you know gus-lopez
Im just about to order for my place at Torre Pacheco where am atm, and only see 450 ?

1706708004503.png

Do you know

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

The lower tariff switch is a good point and very well made… 👍🏻

My brother has a couple of properties in Spain so I can ask him if he’s okay with me changing my location to one of his addresses…

On other matters, WRT the service, I have to say that Starlink is the best (most stable and fastest) it’s been anywhere in Europe to date over the last nine months of use. The Mercia Starlink ground station is serving us very well Gus-lopez… Hope you’re happy with Starlink too?

Right I’m off to check if I can get the €49 tariff if I swap… bet there is some shonky terms and conditions which stop me… 🤞

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Interesting alternative

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Dishy arrived today, set up time all of 5mins and most of that was uncoiling the cable. Speed test is crappy location squeezed In between large building and a few tree to top it off is 150mbps where as my fixed line service provider (only via copper overhead cable) is at best 100mbps, so not too bad at all. Will play around with the system and get it ready for the van and next weekend away. Most likely at first we‘ll go tripod floor mount before getting the dremel and silicone out⚙️🔨

Monthly contract works out to be £54 here for Roam, bargain ! Can now reduce the data packages on our out of country contracts and probably save 3x that.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Monthly contract works out to be £54 here for Roam, bargain !
There was me thinking that everything is more expensive in Switzerland.
Then there’s Spain and France with subscriptions at €40’ish.
Meanwhile, back here on Treasure Island… ;)

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I’ve noticed with the latest V2 dish/app update that the obstruction map in the app starts to populate/trace and show immediately, rather than the blanket ‘no information for six hours’ that we had before..

Nice improvement 👌

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
After putting up with pretty rubbish broadband/mobile speeds here in rural France (3-25mbps) that cost a pretty package, I've ordered the Starlink for the house. Delivery is set for Tuesday or the following Monday and the cost is very good. €50 all in, including delivery.
Looking forward to streaming without buffering..

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
After putting up with pretty rubbish broadband/mobile speeds here in rural France (3-25mbps) that cost a pretty package, I've ordered the Starlink for the house. Delivery is set for Tuesday or the following Monday and the cost is very good. €50 all in, including delivery.
Looking forward to streaming without buffering..

Welcome to the club.. You won’t be disappointed… ✔️

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I was looking to get the refurb kit 199 in uk then take it to spain register in spain on a different account and install in our apartment at 40 +9 euros but have been told uk kits possibly wont work in spain, ??? Didnt realise they were regional ?

Anyone confirm ?

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I’ve noticed with the latest V2 dish/app update that the obstruction map in the app starts to populate/trace and show immediately, rather than the blanket ‘no information for six hours’ that we had before..

Nice improvement 👌
Jist fired mine up after 4 months in its box, logged on in 3 minutes. Just giving it online time to update, so hope to see that.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I was looking to get the refurb kit 199 in uk then take it to spain register in spain on a different account and install in our apartment at 40 +9 euros but have been told uk kits possibly wont work in spain, ??? Didnt realise they were regional ?

Anyone confirm ?
Surely by that logic, from a purely functional perspective, you couldn’t roam in Spain successfully using UK issued equipment? But others on this thread have and are already doing so?

Presumably the issue is more from an account perspective, as the equipment wasn’t sourced from a batch intended for Spain you can’t register the UK originated device in a different Geo?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back