Standard OR AGM Starter Battery? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

My car battery has died and I need to replace it. I find batteries do not last these days. I could guess at the amount of electronics constantly being drip fed whilst parked, or the amount of drain on short runs. That is Heated seats, heated Steering Wheel, Auto Lights etc. But I just think they are crap.

The YUSA Starter battery on the Motorhome never fails, or the Trojan GEL Leisure batteries. That and my two Toyota Car batteries last 10+ years.

But, My Mercedes Sprinter, Audi, BMW and LR batteries just die. Especially the Varta/Bosch

So, do I try and AGM Starter battery or stick with a standard cheap one?

Trev

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Some of the major car makers are dumping AGM as poor performance and early failure on 'stop/start' models.
My own Hyundai AGM battery isn't capable of the 'stop/start' mode and hasn't been for the last 18 months plus on key starting the lights become brighter as the alternator kicks in.
The car is just 4 years old.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I doubt if your alternator is capable of charging an AGM battery correctly, surprised Varta/Bosch haven't lasted if that the case I would try an Exide.

I find car batteries last forever these days, last year was only the 2nd time I've changed the battery in the boss's 20 year old car & that was only because one of the kids didn't close the boot fully and the boot light was on & we were away for 6 weeks.

AGM's are hopeless as a leisure battery but the one in my car has surprised me original battery over 7 years old, like John the stop start stopped working after about a couple of years, that was a relief saved me having to keep turning it off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I doubt if your alternator is capable of charging an AGM battery correctly, surprised Varta/Bosch haven't lasted if that the case I would try an Exide.

I find car batteries last forever these days, last year was only the 2nd time I've changed the battery in the boss's 20 year old car & that was only because one of the kids didn't close the boot fully and the boot light was on & we were away for 6 weeks.

AGM's are hopeless as a leisure battery but the one in my car has surprised me original battery over 7 years old, like John the stop start stopped working after about a couple of years, that was a relief saved me having to keep turning it off.

Range Rover 4.4 V8 Diesel ?

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
I had an odyssey agm battery in a classic I used to own. It sat around for long periods before getting used but always cranked strongly when I needed it. Not cheap but I found them excellent quality ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back