Squeaky Squeaky Squeak - ARRGHHH!!! (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
Hello Folks..
My 794T has developed a new high pitched squeak that drives me bananas! I can only describe the sound as the kind of squeak you'd get if you took the head of a nail or screw and started wiggling it against a pane of glass.

I think I've tracked it down to the oven area. I thought initially it was being caused by the inner glass panel inside the oven door... nope.

Anyone else have/had this irritating noise? It even happens when the wife isn't in the passenger seat :)

Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
šŸ˜… I had the most annoying squeak too! I soon found out it was a plastic leg on the inside of the remis blind in the front cab and it was rubbing against the window. A strip of doubled-sided foam from a pack of Command strips did the trick. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Bisto

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
My blinds vibrated and squeaked like crazy, until I stuck some padding to stop them from rubbing together.

Weirdest part was that it sounded like it was coming from behind me, not in front.

Also, everything gets wrapped to prevent the noises, as I can't stand em šŸ˜¬šŸ˜„

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Are you sure itā€™s not a mouseā€¦..Where?,Under the stairā€¦Right there. A little mouse with clogs on! :ROFLMAO:

Sorry,I couldnā€™t resist another chance to sing that song :rolleyes:
Songā€¦ā€¦ā€¦?!?o_O

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Songā€¦ā€¦ā€¦?!?o_O
probably 1960ā€™s,Val Doonican or somebody like that.

I saw a mouse,where? There on the stairā€¦ā€¦.blah blah A mouse lived in a windmill in old Amsterdam.

If I was tech savvie Iā€™d put it on hereā€¦ā€¦but aint! But you could!? :giggle:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
probably 1960ā€™s,Val Doonican or somebody like that.

I saw a mouse,where? There on the stairā€¦ā€¦.blah blah A mouse lived in a windmill in old Amsterdam.

If I was tech savvie Iā€™d put it on hereā€¦ā€¦but aint! But you could!? :giggle:
???

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Aaaaaaghhhhhhā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..!!!

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I had this for ages and checked everything internal time and time again before I found it, turned out to be the brackets for the fresh water tank under the van had play in them and wouldnā€™t go any tighter. I had them loosened them off, added some rubber shims and retightened.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Another good one to check is the over head lockers that open upwards, they sometimes squeak when closed (wiggle up and down)

syelad

Free Member
May 23, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4i
Exp
Iā€™m a newbie - since 2021
Hi Paul

Did you ever find the cause? We have what I guess is the same annoying oven area squeak in our 794iā€¦..

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Hi Paul

Did you ever find the cause? We have what I guess is the same annoying oven area squeak in our 794iā€¦..
Oh my.. should I say 'Welcome to the Club'?
I thought I'd nailed it by wiggling the internal glass panel in the oven door as that has the two elements that sound like they are rubbing together. Next time out, I'm going to remove the internal glass panel when travelling to rule it out completely.
Now that you've mentioned you're getting the same irritating high pitched squeak, that says there is a design issue. I've worked in the automotive manufacturing sector and they have teams of people finding these squeaks and rattles. They then do a 'root cause' analysis and trace it to a loose bolt or an ill-fitted part or rubbish material.
I'd like to think Bailey would be interested but judging by the reports I read, I think they just 'bang em out' and don't really care that much about quality.
I'll let you know how I get on :)

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Fill the oven with rolls of Kitchen paper, and a towel around the wire shelf, see if that knocks the decibels out of it.
We use our oven as a larder, placing tinned goods in a plastic basket, that also helps absorb the soundscape.
Mike.

syelad

Free Member
May 23, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4i
Exp
Iā€™m a newbie - since 2021
Hi - thanks that would be great.
Agree with the Bailey problem, itā€™s such a shame as we love the van, weā€™ve only had it about a month and the layout is perfect for us and it looks great.
Weā€™ve had to take it back to the dealer for about 10 annoying issues, some of which are ā€œhow the hell did it leave the factory like thatā€ issues including a hole in the top of the large table and front window blinds that donā€™t close. Also floorboards that creak like something from a horror film. The dealers repsonse was, oh yeah we know about that one, and that one, and that one. The squeak reminds me of one we had in our old T5 which I tracked down to the rock and roll bed. Much easier to track down In a smaller van while you are driving!!!

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Agree with the Bailey problem, itā€™s such a shame as we love the van, weā€™ve only had it about a month and the layout is perfect for us and it looks great.
Weā€™ve had to take it back to the dealer for about 10 annoying issues, some of which are ā€œhow the hell did it leave the factory like thatā€ issues including a hole in the top of the large table and front window blinds that donā€™t close. Also floorboards that creak like something from a horror film. The dealers repsonse was, oh yeah we know about that one, and that one, and that one. The squeak reminds me of one we had in our old T5 which I tracked down to the rock and roll bed. Much easier to track down In a smaller van while you are driving!!!
If you've got a squeaking floor already I would be questioning whether the floor had delamination issues going on already, least ways I'd want to make dammed sure with some written correspondence from the dealer that they were was also making sure it was not a problem!!!
Mike

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Fill the oven with rolls of Kitchen paper, and a towel around the wire shelf, see if that knocks the decibels out of it.
We use our oven as a larder, placing tinned goods in a plastic basket, that also helps absorb the soundscape.
Mike.
Hi Mike. We have nothing in the oven, all of the shelves are out and we wrap the hob in tea towels too. The noise is also 'intermittent'. Bang over a pothole and it starts up, bump over another it stops.

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Yeah the floor, if you're talking about the one where the table is stored. I've sorted that with felt pads (gift from the gods).
Other than this 'orrible squeak (which has only kicked off fairly recently) I love the bus. Taking it back off to Germany next month, it soaks up the miles.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Iā€™ve just found my three plus year rattle. Ohhhhhhh. I canā€™t wait for the next drive out to see what itā€™s like without.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Iā€™ve just found my three plus year rattle. Ohhhhhhh. I canā€™t wait for the next drive out to see what itā€™s like without.
Spookily silent ... The quiet may well get on your nerves after 3 years of an acoustic chorus! :LOL:

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back