Squeaks and rattles. (1 Viewer)

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Hi everyone,
Our new, to us, 2012 Approach 745 se has annoying squeaks and rattles coming from the lockers above the cab area when the vehicle is moving.
I don't think it's the doors because I can reach them and hold them closed or open them and it makes no difference.

Has any one else encountered this issue and what did you do about it please?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Rattles could be Cup`s/Mug`s/Plates/Pot`s `n`pan`s... ETC..

Wrap well...

Squeaks ?

Mice perhaps.... :xdoh::xwink:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think most motorhomes squeak and rattle to some extent.

Are the lockers full, part full or empty? Have you used packing (teatowels and towels for example) to stop the contents rattling?

Some of the squeaks will be from the construction boards of the lockers flexing slightly as the vehicle moves and the temperature alters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Rattles could be Cup`s/Mug`s/Plates/Pot`s `n`pan`s... ETC..

Wrap well...

Squeaks ?

Mice perhaps.... :xdoh::xwink:
Nope it's not that, they're still empty at the moment.
I'm thinking it's the actual lockers themselves, moving around in the mountings.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Nope it's not that, they're still empty at the moment.
I'm thinking it's the actual lockers themselves, moving around in the mountings.

As Puddleduck suggested... Flexing...

Try with them loaded up with your gear..

Do the doors click closed and no movement... if there is movement perhaps some small sticky backed =

52d75cdaf0b21_47062b.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Less noise when they have stuff in them :)

They do need to flex a little though so don't be tempted to tighten everything up completely or squirt glue into the joints.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Looks like I'll need to get swmbo to rearrange stuff.
It's more than my life's worth to do it myself.

Thanks for the replies.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As others have said, you can try all sorts of things to improve matters, but I reckon most vans suffer from squeaks and rattles when travelling.

Obviously, some MHs are worse than others.

Good luck, hope you can quitter things down a bit. :)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Heavy stuff in the floor drawers and lockers, like tins/bottles/w h y .

Could be that the last owner had the heavy stuff "up stairs" and has strained the fixings.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You could try weighing it and then working out what the tire pressures SHOULD be and adjusting them accordingly. Manufacturers and service agents seem to want to pump everything up to 80 psi. The front pair are usually the ones to let down and you will be surprised at the result.

Failing that its a case of checking that everything is secure and all the panels are fitted correctly. Panels that rub together leave a powdery trace behind so its worth putting something between anything that rubs.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I must say our caravan didn’t have any squeaks at all when we were travelling unlike our moho, must be poor build quality I think ;):D2

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
You could try weighing it and then working out what the tire pressures SHOULD be and adjusting them accordingly. Manufacturers and service agents seem to want to pump everything up to 80 psi. The front pair are usually the ones to let down and you will be surprised at the result.

Failing that its a case of checking that everything is secure and all the panels are fitted correctly. Panels that rub together leave a powdery trace behind so its worth putting something between anything that rubs.

I've already lost a wheel trim, banging over a kerbside gulley and I've only done about 20 miles since I bought it.
The suspension does feel rather harsh compared to the Swift we've just sold.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
I must say our caravan didn’t have any squeaks at all when we were travelling unlike our moho, must be poor build quality I think ;):D2

Strange that.
I never heard any rattles from our caravan either, even when all the crockery fell from an unsecured locker.
Neither were their any audible rattles from the grill and oven.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Although our newish PVC had only small ‘tinckles’ and rattles, what we did with all past (and present) MoHo’s was I drove around the local industrial estate (iffy roads and dead quiet) whilst Wife walked around identifying rattling and squeaks. Once identified most were just pop in a sticky backed fibre ‘patch’ until All was well between panels, doors and drawers.
We cannot stand rattling, especially on a long journey - plates, pots etc are separated by bubble wrap or tea towels.
It makes one hell of a difference to Moho enjoyment once’s all the background noise has been eliminated whilst traveling - well worth the hour or so down the estate.
:xThumb:
Hope it helps.

Trikeman.;)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has any one else encountered this issue and what did you do about it please?

I don't think that there is any such thing as a quiet motorhome once moving. We use a lot of that soft rubber mesh but it's never quiet.

I noticed a big difference between our first one which had an over cab ( Luton ) bed, because the cab was the standard van cab with lining it was much quieter. Our newer on is full open and so all the sound reaches us, bouncing off the lockers.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
I don't think that there is any such thing as a quiet motorhome once moving. We use a lot of that soft rubber mesh but it's never quiet.

I noticed a big difference between our first one which had an over cab ( Luton ) bed, because the cab was the standard van cab with lining it was much quieter. Our newer on is full open and so all the sound reaches us, bouncing off the lockers.

That's exactly what I've found.
Shoulda kept the old one.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That's exactly what I've found.
Shoulda kept the old one.

Not an option for us, 'er indoors was struggling with the ladder. But new layout is really roomy now that the bed does not intrude, we are well pleased.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Not an option for us, 'er indoors was struggling with the ladder. But new layout is really roomy now that the bed does not intrude, we are well pleased.

Exactly the same for us, especially through the night, trying to find the ladder in the dark.

Dec 29, 2018
Great Crosby
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year
Check each locker door to see if it closes properly. If not as suggested, use the small self adhesive bumper spacers to close the gap. The ones fitted to our 740 were neither use nor ornament. Worked a treat, especially on our bathroom door, much quieter now.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I tried blu tack first to see if that stopped the rattle. Then replaced it with the sticky backed round felt thingies for a more permanent fix.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for all the help and advice folks.
I think it's actually the cupboards that squeak.
Seems, from what some have said, well have to live with it.

I think it may be better on decent A roads than it is on the B roads I've had it on so far.
I'll just turn the radio up.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back