Spongy brakes (1 Viewer)

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
On my Mercedes sprinter the with the engine running the brake pedal slowly goes down to the floor I can pump it up a few times and still goes to the floor if the engine is not running the brakes are firm . Any ideas what the problem might be .Thanks

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Amusing you are not loosing brake flued I would be looking at the brake servo
If the peddle is staying hard when the engine is off it's unlikely to be hydraulics that are letting flued pass

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sonny
Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
To the floor slowly.and not losing any fluid

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Funny you should mention this... I had exact same on my Movano which I mentioned to my local Indy garage.
Anyway he has a Sprinter PVC which does the exact same.
His theory was that because moho is constantly heavy and requires heavier braking to stop van it is possible to cook and degrade the brake fluid.
I obviously had my doubts but he convinced me that changing fluid (as he regularly does to his Sprinter) would sort issue out.
Guess what... it did... brakes back to being as they should be.đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
I have a MK1 sprinter Hymer and suffered similar problems. Brake fluid change did help and passed a brake test. They are still a bit like standing in mud but it seems this is 'normal' for my age of sprinter

OP
OP
sonny
Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I have a MK1 sprinter Hymer and suffered similar problems. Brake fluid change did help and passed a brake test. They are still a bit like standing in mud but it seems this is 'normal' for my age of sprinter
My sprinter is 2003 54000 miles only done 20 miles last 3years virtually no rust sweet engine but as you know standing around doesn’t help.
Just wondering how to isolate the servo for testing

OP
OP
sonny
Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
PI have a MK1 sprinter Hymer and suffered similar problems. Brake fluid change did help and passed a brake test. They are still a bit like standing in mud but it seems this is 'normal' for my age of sprinter
My sprinter
Check post #7 on this site Here
Not an uncommon problem and probably none of the previous suggestions
thanks for that:giggle:(y)

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Mine does the same, Mercedes said its normal.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
My sprinter is 2003 54000 miles only done 20 miles last 3years virtually no rust sweet engine but as you know standing around doesn’t help.
Just wondering how to isolate the servo for testing
Test a brake servo by pressing the pedal many times until the pedal is hard, and high up, then start engine and brake pedal should fall. That shows brake servo is working.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Read this from the gov MOT advice page............

Vehicles with petrol engines uses the inlet manifold to generate the vacuum for servo assistance.
Larger vehicles such as vans and 4x4s with diesel engines usually use a pump to generate the vacuum, Unlike the inlet manifold of a petrol engine, there is no vacuum relief with a pump. If excessive pedal pressure is applied when the vehicle is stationary (and the engine is running) as required for the MOT test the hydraulic pressure required to stop the vehicle will be grossly exceeded and fluid will be forced past seals that are between circuits.

The rare occurrence is known as diesel creep; and it is often incorrectly diagnosed as being caused by a faulty master cylinder.

The solution is to stop applying the excessive pressure.

If you can get the brake pedal to creep with the engine switched off and servo exhausted,
or actually under braking there is a serious problem that requires urgent attention!

A road test maybe an option to satisfy yourself, but if in doubt give the benefit of the doubt to the vehicle presenter.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
This was a reported problem on our Sprinter ambulances, but after much research they were pronounced to be within normal range.
I certainly didn't hear of a brake failure in any of our huge fleet & just got used to it.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Funny you should mention this... I had exact same on my Movano which I mentioned to my local Indy garage.
Anyway he has a Sprinter PVC which does the exact same.
His theory was that because moho is constantly heavy and requires heavier braking to stop van it is possible to cook and degrade the brake fluid.
I obviously had my doubts but he convinced me that changing fluid (as he regularly does to his Sprinter) would sort issue out.
Guess what... it did... brakes back to being as they should be.đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť
Always a good place to start. Good advice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back