split charge relay help fiat ducato. (1 Viewer)

patrick shipp

Free Member
Apr 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
in progress
Hi can someone please help me with my van conversion on a fiat ducato maxi 2012 2.3

I have installed the battery and want to use a split charge relay for the main battery to charge it on the move. Do i connect it to the battery under the cab or under the bonnet.

Is it also possible to use a split charge relay and a solar panel to charge the same battery.

thanks

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
On a 2012 ducato there is no battery under the bonnet, the engine battery is under the passengers side cab floor.

D.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Is it also possible to use a split charge relay and a solar panel to charge the same battery.
Yes, it's the normal way to do it. The alternator and solar controller have electronic one-way valves (diodes) that stop the charge going the wrong way.

A simple solar controller only charges one battery, ie the leisure battery. The split charge relay disconnects the leisure battery from the starter battery when the engine is not running.

You can get solar controllers that will charge the leisure battery and also trickle charge the starter battery.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A few assumptions above.
You don't say what kind of split charge.... A simple 30amp relay or an all singing & dancing electronic unit.

30amp relay is basic and easiest and only a few quid.
B2B charger is the best option but quite a few quid.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
This article by Clive Mott (MMM tech guy) may help:

http://www.motts.org/SPLIT CHARGING SYSTEM.htm

The solar can be connected directly to the hab battery via solar regulator.

A very simple solution to split charging is shown under "bridging fuse" but obviously needs manual intervention.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back