spilt charge,, leisure to engine battery (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I made my own removable one for about £15 using a split charge relay I bought on eBay, a project box to contain it, some cable of suitable width, and an inline fuse. I use it when the MH is in storage with the leisure battery on solar, regulated to 13.6v, and at home when it's charging on EHU at 14.2v. I understand none of the complicated electronics theory, but it appears to work, with a detectable voltage coming through to the engine battery.

However, in winter the solar panel performance is so low that I have to drive the MH around a bit every few weeks to stop the engine battery going flat.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
nice Italian

Is there such a thing, I am dismayed at anything electronic that emanates from that beautiful country. That starts with their cars and ends with washing machines or their white goods in general !!

Nothing crude about a length of 10mmsq cable that is guid heavy duty, you can rely on, stuff ! Not spidery wet string like what you propose ??

But whatever floats your boat, just trying to be an alternative

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I actually use a 12v 20A trip switch(pretty safe level) as used by the boom box hi fi enthusiasts. I have started up the laccy band several times having forgot to "trip/open the connection" and surprise surprise the world did not come to an end. the trip didn't trip either.

On another thread we concluded that not much happens if your leisures and the vehicle batt are by and large charged hence no huge draw of amps from the alternator ??? or something like that.
Fuses are I agree MEGABUCKS all of £1 a dozen. if you are really skint, fag packet metal foil :whistle:

The main time of finding a dead vehicle batt is after being laid up, whilst either inside a shed and the Solar has no chance to keep you "charged up" or if laid up and no hook up (should you not have solar), or if it has been sun deficient for an extended period. Lash out, break the bank and make a removable sign that affixes on the steering wheel whilst your fuse is functionally connected ! OR the vehicle battery is past its sell (knacked) by date Can provide a linky to the trip fuses about a fiver from China delivery within 10 days (mine were). http://www.bimblesolar.com/20a-dc-breaker. A UK supplier, dearer but you would get them quicker (y)

The simple answer is that it WORKS. enjoy (y)

It is not the cost of the fuses it is the hassle of having to remember and I know what my memory is like I would run out of fuses on a regular basis.

That's all very well but you still have to remember to flip the trip to enable it each and every time you stop. Forget once and flat battery, leave it flat and you end up with a dead battery. My battery goes flat over 6 days and even after 3 days it can make the van a bit harder to start. I want something that is automatic, takes advantage of solar or 240v charger and doesn't run the risk of flattening both batteries. This device will save me £120 each time I kill my battery. I am currently on my 4th cab battery in 5 years.... If this device works as advertised that is £480 it would have saved me.

My problem with your method is that if I am off hookup and use a lot of power overnight not only will it take it from my leisure battery my van battery will go down as well.

And by the way I do have 25mm cable between leisure and cab battery which I can link together in an emergency to start the van. The battery master I am really hoping will mean I don't have to do any of this messing about in future.

The battery master or devices like it means you don't have to do anything. For a lot of us this convenience and reliability of starting is worth £'s.

PS: I am a fulltimer and drive my van at least once a week even in the winter. For someone who just goes out a few times in the summer the wire and fuse option may be practical but not for a lot of us who don't just play "in" season.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But whatever floats your boat, just trying to be an alternative

It is indeed an alternative, a crude alternative. Why ? Because it relies on human intervention. First time a user forgets to pull the fuse and uses a load of hab battery the engine does not start.

Remember two names: Marconi, father of radio transmission, and Volta father of the battery.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Karl, in answer to your question why..

Blocking diode

:D

( kept it as short as pos ! LOL !!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Karl, in answer to your question why..

Blocking diode

:D

( kept it as short as pos ! LOL !!
Doesn't answer my question. will be able to test shortly anyway. Still would like to know though...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back