Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Just got back from 6x months in Spain. On going thro' our back mail were 2x speeding fines.
From last December & January, as the van is registered to my wife, she got the letter. On checking who was driving on that day, one was myself and one my wife. Both on the same spot north of Malaga.
100 euro fine if paid within 20x days 50 euro.
I said just ignore it they will not chase it. A week later 2x reminders, so my wife marched me to the bank to do a money transfer.
I was under the impression the DVLA did not disclose our info to overseas people.
But obviously they do. Roll on Brexit.
Malc

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They do.

Nothing to do with “Brexit” and nothing will change after we leave.

If you don’t want speeding fines the best idea is to not speed. Just saying (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Think yourselves lucky it was in Spain not the UK where you would have received points and larger fines. Don't forget to informe your uk insurer as they will already have a record of your speeding. Please tell me how any of this will improve post Brexit.?

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Yep, DVLA are happy to sell your data to anyone, they have been at it for years and they are not likely to change the profitable habit of a lifetime

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Think yourselves lucky it was in Spain not the UK where you would have received points and larger fines. Don't forget to informe your uk insurer as they will already have a record of your speeding. Please tell me how any of this will improve post Brexit.?
Everything will improve post Brexit. :)
I think everyone gets upset when they get caught whether here or abroad but you just have to suck it up and realise you won't get any sympathy online.
I do notice that when there are average speed cameras most foreign registered lorries and vans either think they are invisible or we do not chase them for fines.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Yep, DVLA are happy to sell your data to anyone, they have been at it for years and they are not likely to change the profitable habit of a lifetime
I'm curious. . Do you think we should be able to speed in Spain with impunity.
There are obvious criteria for applying for keeper details . Do you agree with them? Is £2.50 (or £5) too much?

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Did not think that I implied that it was ok to break any rules but if I did then I will try to phrase things a little better next time. I was merely commenting upon the fact that DVLA are, and have for many years, been more then happy to sell our information for the slightest of reasons.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm curious. . Do you think we should be able to speed in Spain with impunity.
There are obvious criteria for applying for keeper details . Do you agree with them? Is £2.50 (or £5) too much?

Obviously no one would suggest that we drive with total disregard for traffic offences.
However, in this Country there are rules to be observed regarding the fairness with which cameras are sighted. This is not necessarily so abroad.

I defy anyone, (and I mean anyone) to show that in any reasonable period, and I don't mean just one journey, they drove without breaking at least one speed limit or other offence on an ordinary road, not Motorway or equivelent.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
. Roll on Brexit.
Malc

What's Brexit got to do with it, forgive me for being blunt but you broke their driving laws (assuming you aren't contesting it). Its frustrating and sometimes we all just make a mistake, but people complain about foreigners getting away with speeding, parking on yellow lines etc. here and the need to tighten up. Why should it be any different in Spain?

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I was merely commenting upon the fact that DVLA are, and have for many years, been more then happy to sell our information for the slightest of reasons.

I'm not sure that's correct, I think it is a very recent thing because I recall a lot of publicity about it in the last year. I also believe it is mutual.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
That's ok no problem, I used to work for them and became a little disenchanted with the way they handled our personal data.
I'm not sure that's correct, I think it is a very recent thing because I recall a lot of publicity about it in the last year. I also believe
I'm not sure that's correct, I think it is a very recent thing because I recall a lot of publicity about it in the last year. I also believe it is mutual.
you probably heard about the Euro initiative for sharing cross border information for thr purposes of enforcing various driving offences. Believe me,DVLA have been selling your data for several decades before this!

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
You probably heard about the Eu cross border initiative to share data for the purposes of various driving offences and enforcement thereof. Believe me DVLA have Ben selling your data for decades before this!

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I defy anyone, (and I mean anyone) to show that in any reasonable period, and I don't mean just one journey, they drove without breaking at least one speed limit or other offence on an ordinary road, not Motorway or equivelent.

Totally agree. I have been driving motorcycles, cars and motorhomes for 47 years and have never had a single speeding conviction. Does that mean that I have never done 31 in a 30 zone or 71 on a motorway? Of course not :LOL: I guess that I have been lucky but also try to keep within the small tolerance over the limit that is allowed.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Obviously no one would suggest that we drive with total disregard for traffic offences.
However, in this Country there are rules to be observed regarding the fairness with which cameras are sighted. This is not necessarily so abroad.

I do find it funny ... the fairness with which they are sighted ... and of course they are painted bright yellow...or that's not fair either and there has to be warning signs ..or that's not fair.
If you get caught speeding (and I have) then one should just zip up ones man suit and accept it.
Safety camera partnership... what a load of old tosh. It should be Police catching you speeding by whatever means and thats that. Maybe we should introduce the escalating fine system that i think the dutch have. Im sure that would be terribly unfair too.
A quick edit.... I'm also in favour of the app guidelines 're speeding and officers using discretion.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

It might be mutual in theory, but the real test will be whether in practice our "Safety" Camera Partnerships will send notices of fines to offenders from other countries (assuming there will be reciprocal exchange of driver data), and how far they will go to effect collection of the fines. How would they prove service of the notice? If payment isn't received, at what point does it get too hard to collect the fine, so they give up? Would foreign defaulters be arrested for non-payment if they return via Dover, and have their vehicles clamped until they pay up or even taken into custody to appear before the Mags Court? I'm also wondering if the foreign drivers will be entitled to receive translations in their own language e.g. Spanish, Polish etc.

It isn't as simple as it sounds. If the "Safety" Camera Partnerships want an easy life nothing much will happen. The "foreign" registered speeders will get away with it whereas Brits will get stung as usual.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've never had a ticket for speeding either. (Once got an Absolute Discharge for having to drive without due care when a motorist was driving like a loon.) but I digress.

The nearest I got to a ticket was quite recently when I was 'Making progress' on the Expressway A38 but saw the Van fitted with the camera long before he could take a Happy Snappie.

For two weeks I drove like a spinster going to church until the NIP didn't arrive.

I've done my penance.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
;)
holier1.jpg

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Slight thread drift - how is it that I've had emails from all and sundry about giving permission for them to continue to hold/use my data... yet nary a peep from the DVLA who must hold bundles of juicy data upon my good person?
Nor indeed from any of the Government agencies... HMRC etc - are they exempt from these EU GDPR rules ???

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
From what I understand the system is not parallel with regard to the fines and to whom they are issued.

In mainland Europe the register keeper(RK) of the vehicle is responsible for the fine if the driver is not outed. So for offences in Spain, France and the like they can apply to DVLA for register keeper and send the fine to them.

Now in the UK the authorities can only go after the driver at the time of the offence. So by applying to say a French or Spanish RK they cannot enforce the fine as they would not know the drivers details unless provided by the RK.
It is only in the UK the RK can be fined for not supplying the drivers details.

So it is a case that Spain France and others will apply to DVLA all day long knowing they can issue fines and can be enforced UK

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
No, they don't.
You try it.
There are specific reasons required.. IE: car park offences etc... and the request has to be by a legitamate organisation.
and credit agencies (Experian, equifax, etc) and others with very little regard to legitimate use. I do agree though that the private individual has greater difficulty getting info, even on their own file

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back