Spare Bulbs ? What is a set ? (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Just sorting out getting ready for our trip to Spain and i have been looking at my collection of spare bulbs, does anyone know what constitutes a set, is it just one of each type ? what does the French/Spanish law require

any advice would be welcome

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Depends what vehicle you have but i posted a set for sale on here for a Fiat/Peugeot 1999 - 2006 Halfords sell them:thumb:still have them if interested.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The problem with an A class as opposed to a van conversion or C class is that the required bulbs are not a standard set. I carry a big set with loads of bulbs in, but can't be sure I have a replacement for everything.:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Thanks for the offer, but I think I have to many bulbs already, my real question was just how many do you need to carry is it just one of each type does that meet the legal requirement

Depends what vehicle you have but i posted a set for sale on here for a Fiat/Peugeot 1999 - 2006 Halfords sell them:thumb:still have them if interested.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
I had the same problem when we were planning our trip to Spain. All that anybody says is that you have to have a spare set of bulbs.

To be logical about it you should have a set of bulbs that you know will replace any bulb that will fail on your vehicle.

My wife June bought a box of spare bulbs from B&Q or somewhere like that.

They were advertised as European Compliant. At the same time she bought headlamp deflectors and warning triangles. Exactly the same products were being sold on the ferry to Bilbao.

The warning triangles were very good as was the box of EU compliant bulbs.

I had no idea where to stick the beam deflectors as the glass patterns in the instruction manual bore no relationship with mine.

We arrived at Portsmouth Ferry Port and had a look at where every body else had stuck theres. We decided were we were going to stick them, turned the headlamps on and guess what.

I had a headlamp bulb gone. We looked in the box EU approved bulbs to fit a new one and guess what, our bulb wasn't there.

We could do nothing at the time and on arrival in Spain we tried to find a replacement bulb, guess what. Nobody had one.

We traveled and camped for two weeks with a headlamp down & with beam deflectors that were not in the correct position. Guess what, nobody bothered us.

The moral of the story is don't worry about it the way that I did.

So that you are safe and sure, find out by looking, what bulbs all of your lights take and go buy a spare one if not a couple.

This will help you as much as it will help you comply with the law.

As I said, don't get too hung up on it. As long as you make an effort you will be fine. Happy Days and enjoy your trip.

Cheers

Jim

:thumb:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Hi,

Just sorting out getting ready for our trip to Spain and i have been looking at my collection of spare bulbs, does anyone know what constitutes a set, is it just one of each type ? what does the French/Spanish law require

any advice would be welcome

A set is anything the supplier deems to be a set.

Be careful when buying a set. Many new vehicles now have four headlamp bulbs so the set of bulbs will be different from those of the older vehicles with only two headlamp bulbs.

When I enquired about a set in Halfords for my 2007 Renault Master their database suggested a set with only two headlamp bulbs - totally useless.

Why not get yourself a smallish Tupperware type box and make up your own set of bulbs - that way you will know they are correct.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
to me a spare set of bulbs means a replacement for any legally required bulb.
headlights. taillights, indicators, front side lights, fog and brakelights.
indicators and fog are probably the same bulb type and stop and tail are probably a combined bulb anyway.

but its like the spanish laws on spectacles......you must carry a spare pair (if you wear them :Doh:) but my spanish sis in law says all they do is chuck any old pair on the dash even if they arent the right prescription.

if you have a load of bulbs and get stopped just go through the motions of trying to find the right bulb. chances are plod will do nowt 'cos you tried.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back