Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've got a set up at the works office of 2 Dell monitors with sound playing through a cheap set of Logi speakers. 1 HDMI cable from computer to each monitor. All works ok. Now I added my xbox to this set up as it's a better monitor than I have in the van so HDMI from xbox to one of the monitors.

The problem is I don't get any sound when playing the xbox. There is no extra sound output from the xbox. The only thing I can do is unplug the speakers audio jack from the computer and plug it in to the headset point on the xbox controller but the sound is not loud at all and a bit crackly.

Any ideas?

I think the monitor has an optical sound output so would I need to buy a soundbar that has the optical connection?

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
From what you have described it sounds like your PC has a built in amplifier to send sufficient power to the speakers for you to hear.

I presume the X-box is relying on normally being plugged into a TV so is sending it's sound via the HDMI connection so that the TV produces the sound. Which model X Box is it?

Do the monitors have built in speakers or a jack plug socket for external speakers? Are the speakers powered and do they have a volume control?

If there is no sound output on the monitors then you will need an extra piece of kit.

Either

1) a headset to plug into the controller
2) powered speakers to connect to the same socket.
3) a optical to analogue converter and an optical cable to go from your x box to your speakers (again will depend on the speakers being powered to get the right volume)
something like https://amzn.eu/d/hX5cz5k

Someone may well be along soon with a much better solution but hope this helps

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I've got a set up at the works office of 2 Dell monitors with sound playing through a cheap set of Logi speakers. 1 HDMI cable from computer to each monitor. All works ok. Now I added my xbox to this set up as it's a better monitor than I have in the van so HDMI from xbox to one of the monitors.

The problem is I don't get any sound when playing the xbox. There is no extra sound output from the xbox. The only thing I can do is unplug the speakers audio jack from the computer and plug it in to the headset point on the xbox controller but the sound is not loud at all and a bit crackly.

Any ideas?

I think the monitor has an optical sound output so would I need to buy a soundbar that has the optical connection?
I think the default for the last couple of Xbox hardware generations are for audio over hdmi.
What is the logi speaker set connected to?

Was your Xbox previously connected via hdmi for audio and video? I.e. the audio settings are correct for the move

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Thanks for the replies. The speakers are powered from the mains and normally plugged in to the headphones socket of the computer. Pretty sure I bought them as the monitors didn't have any built in speakers. That set up works fine for computer based audio. The speakers do have volume control.

I can't see a 3.5mm audio jack on the monitors but it does seem to have the little rectangular audio connector. I think it's called optical? So I was thinking I could buy a soundbar and plug it in to that. But then would all sound (from my computer and Xbox) be through the soundbar and make the Logi speakers redundant?

@keven This is a new Xbox Series x but all previous versions I have had were plugged in to a tv with picture and sound both through hdmi. It may indeed be worth while having a look at the settings through the xbox menu to see if I can get it working better.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
So I was thinking I could buy a soundbar and plug it in to that. But then would all sound (from my computer and Xbox) be through the soundbar and make the Logi speakers redundant?
My Xbox (an old 360), media server & laptop are HDMI to my monitor. The desktop is a DVI
But, getting to the point 🤪, all send audio with the video to the monitor and I’ve speakers plugged it’s headphone socket into that to get a better sound than the monitor’s built in ones. Only stereo tho.

You’re optical connection could be multichannel and a good fit for a sound bar.

I’d check the monitor’s manual for its audio output/passthrough capability before spending money tho.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
My Xbox (an old 360), media server & laptop are HDMI to my monitor. The desktop is a DVI
But, getting to the point 🤪, all send audio with the video to the monitor and I’ve speakers plugged it’s headphone socket into that to get a better sound than the monitor’s built in ones. Only stereo tho.

You’re optical connection could be multichannel and a good fit for a sound bar.

I’d check the monitor’s manual for its audio output/passthrough capability before spending money tho.
Cheers. Just been having a look at the audio settings in the xbox and they are quite confusing. There's a couple options that need an app to run as well which doesn't really help. I'll make do for now but I'll need to see if I can get sound bar for them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back