LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We'd be interested in hearing people's experiences. We are considering going to Guernsey via Pool staying for, perhaps, a week. Then crossing to St Malo and meandering back through France (we've meandered through France quite a bit). Just wondering how it sounds?

Wyn

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Guernsey would be my worry the roads (there and Jersey) aren't very car friendly (let alone driving a Moho through them). You may need to think about leaving it on a site and hiring a car to tour the island.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes that's the plan. You seem to have to sort out a campsite then get a permit to allow entry (presumably to ensure you have done so) then remain sited until leaving. That will be OK for a week, then we can pootle around in France. (y)

Wyn

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
We'd be interested in hearing people's experiences. We are considering going to Guernsey via Pool staying for, perhaps, a week. Then crossing to St Malo and meandering back through France (we've meandered through France quite a bit). Just wondering how it sounds?

Wyn

Hello Wyn , I know nothing about Guernsey but we are on a tour of the canary isles and two of our group are from guernsey and are members of the Guernsey caravan club so if you want me to ask them any specific questions I will go over and ask them for you no problem.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure if you've got a dog/cat etc that you want to take but just in case make sure you check out the regs for taking them there, we were chatting to a chap who now has a MH but used to have a boat and he said that some of the islands do NOT allow 'foreign' pets at all.

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Not sure if you've got a dog/cat etc that you want to take but just in case make sure you check out the regs for taking them there, we were chatting to a chap who now has a MH but used to have a boat and he said that some of the islands do NOT allow 'foreign' pets at all.
No, no pets so we're alright on that score.

Wyn

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello Wyn , I know nothing about Guernsey but we are on a tour of the canary isles and two of our group are from guernsey and are members of the Guernsey caravan club so if you want me to ask them any specific questions I will go over and ask them for you no problem.
I suppose it's really where to go and what we shouldn't miss while we're there really. We'll be using the local bus.

Wyn

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I suppose it's really where to go and what we shouldn't miss while we're there really. We'll be using the local bus.

Wyn

I have had a word with the Guernsey couple they say you definitely have to book a site to get permission from a pre booked campsite to come to the island , they recommend a site callled la ballottere good for public transport and cliff walks, near to the tourist office . Our van is 7.35 mts long and 2.35 mts wide and they say it would not be problem on the island but only to get to the campsite, use public transport for the rest of the stay it’s a £1.00 for any where on the island .

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Well this proved less straightforward than I had hoped! I contacted Condor Ferries and went through it all explaining the plan to go from Poole to Guernsey and a week later on to St Malo returning overland pootling through France. Then I mentioned that I was aware that we had to arrange a pitch for the motorhome and would have to leave it pitched up for the week and that would be arranged in order to obtain our permit to enter the island. Ah! they said. They couldn't deal with that so they referred me to Condor Breaks, a separate entity. So I went through it all with them. Yes, they could sort it all out and obtain the necessary permit etc. When I asked about the St Malo leg they said that would be fine but when would we be returning to Poole? I explained that we wouldn't, we'd continue our journey overland. Oh, we can't do that. All we do is packages to Guernsey, the pitch and return to Poole.

OK got back on to Condor Ferries who confirmed that they could do the ferry segments. But I'd need to sort out the permit.

While all this was going on I was trying to contact our chosen site (there are 4) but was having little success.

Finally just as I was giving up I got through to the site where I spoke to a very appologetic lady who was happy to accommodate our van and all seemed well. But.....She needed to send me an email then I had to reply to it confirming my details. Next day the email arrived. I read the preamble about bringing a motorhome to the island. I had gone through the details with all three of the organisations concerned including the height and length of van but this one also had a width specification. Damn! I'll just check the exact dimentions of ours. While we were well within the limits of height and length our Bailey 68-2 is just fractionally wider. I tried to see how critical it might be but was only quoted the 2.31 metre width stipulated and so was not able to be accepted onto the island. :( Oh well.

Wyn

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
With all that palaver wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just fly over and book into a hotel for a week?

Leave the French leg of the trip for another time.

Richard.

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
With all that palaver wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just fly over and book into a hotel for a week?

Leave the French leg of the trip for another time.

Richard.
Yes it would. Really just so that others are aware if they were to consider going.

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back