LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Like many others I SORN,d my van question is I am going to get it back on the road for July can I go to site now and state the 1st July or do I have to wait till the 1st ?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sorry to disagree but you don't have to wait until the 1st day of any month.

The 'Window' opens up before the new month starts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Recently had to take wife's car off SORN, was originally going to wait until 1st July, but circumstances etc.... Don't recall any option to post-date the start date.

Will do the van on 1st July so we can go to Stratford (circumstances permitting of course), meanwhile I'll prep it whilst it's in the storage yard.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
When Does SORN Start and End?
The time when a SORN starts depends on how you have made the application for it. But, remember that a vehicle must remain in the United Kingdom for it to be valid. As a rule, a SORN notice will start:

• Immediately, when using the V5C reference to apply for a SORN online or by phone.
  • On the first day of the following month, when using the V11 reference and applying online or by telephone.
  • On the actual date requested as per the DVLA form when you apply for a SORN by post.
A SORN gets cancelled by automatic process if you tax the vehicle again or sell it. The same SORN rules apply to scrapped written-off vehicles and those exported overseas. Thus, it does not need renewing or removing for any of these particular situations.

After Making a SORN: Tax Refund
Several things can happen after you make a Statutory Off Road Notification. DVLA will send a vehicle road tax refund for any full months that remain unused. This usually takes place within 6 weeks after making the SORN.

OP
OP
StanandShirley

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Thanks for your replies, thought I would open up screen and see what happens, well I got as far as the payment page and still no calendar so I closed it down. Will wait till the 1st
Thanks again and let’s hope we can get back on the road soon
Safe Travels

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks for your replies, thought I would open up screen and see what happens, well I got as far as the payment page and still no calendar so I closed it down. Will wait till the 1st
Safe Travels
You could try it before July but I sure the number plate recognition cameras will pick you up before you leave your town. You could always pay for June if you really need your van.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I always thought that if you wanted to retax after a Sorn you did it on the first of the month. Granted the 'window "is open but it doesn't allow you to post date your tax. If you start now it will start from 1st June. IMO.
But if you go onto the site in the last days of a month you can tax it for the first of the following month.
I taxed our van, which had been on Sorn on the 31st May for the 1st June.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I didn't think you could post date tax, the day you tax it is the day it starts, but may be wrong, I have booked a site for the 4th of july, now do I save a whole £22 or pick up my van in June to prepare it for the trip. It's only a clean etc, service mot ne cambelt etc done week before covid shutdown.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Safe Travels
Pretty sure the option to tax from July box appears two or three days before july ie around the say the 28/29th June

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
I tried to tax mine today to start 1st July, but it automatically puts start date as of June 1st - no option to change it.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Probably because it's the weekend. Try again Monday and it'll probably default to 1 July rather than 1 June. If not then just leave it until Wednesday when it will be 1 July!

Planning on taxing our from 1 July.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Just this minute tried to “unsworn”my van. Wanted to start the 1 July but message read I would taxed from the 1June.

So I will wIt until the 1 July to unborn it.

zcolyboy

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
But if you go onto the site in the last days of a month you can tax it for the first of the following month.
I taxed our van, which had been on Sorn on the 31st May for the 1st June.
Just tried that Yesterday and it will only start from June not July so going to wait till first July.Also only doing it for 6 months so will tax for 12 and should be cheaper if I sorn just before 6 months are up /

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
A parallel discussion has been going on over on the OAL forum. I reported comments from the discussion here.
The forum moderator, who is incredibly methodical, has been going onto the DVLA site daily, and has reported that whereas ,up to 28 June, he was only given the option of taxing from 1 June , today he is presented with the choice of starting from 1 June or 1 July.
So, confirmation of what others have said - last 2 days only.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back