LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We are due to cross back into France tomorrow and was planning on using Bielsa tunnel. Never used it before but I have somport but there's a possibility of snow tonight/ early hours tomorrow so not knowing the roads would it be best to go somport? Currently at Vinaixa so can do either, planned on stopping at Ainsa tonight.

Thanks

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Not sure about the snow situation, best check weather forecast, I did the reverse route last year through Bielsa tunnel into Spain.
It's scenic but is a steep decent into France, steeper than the ascent on the Spanish side I'd say.
Being a major route, I'm sure there will be snow ploughs if necessary.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Do you have snow chains? 2-3 day ago Somport been temporarily shut due to snow. Police was stoping vehicles to check for chains or socks. On Huesca side was quite a bit of white down on the news. We headed to Jonquera as we was south enough to make this decision. No chains on board just winter tyres, so didn’t wanted to risk being turned back. But the A75 has snow bits to, nothing scary if you got winter tyres, it’s well salted.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As Raul mentioned.. Snow chains or correct tyres.
We were once half way down the road to Somport from the French side, light snow started and as we approached one village there was a sign out ref snow chains. Police were starting to set up as assume they were looking to make some checks and earn a few euros.

Only ever used Somport so cant comment on best route.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Do you have snow chains? 2-3 day ago Somport been temporarily shut due to snow. Police was stoping vehicles to check for chains or socks. On Huesca side was quite a bit of white down on the news. We headed to Jonquera as we was south enough to make this decision. No chains on board just winter tyres, so didn’t wanted to risk being turned back. But the A75 has snow bits to, nothing scary if you got winter tyres, it’s well salted.
Yes chain's we have.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
After looking round Ainsa and as it was 19c and full sun we decided to cross today thru the Bielsa tunnel to avoid any snow and ice. Quite a bit of snow on French side and noticeably cooler.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Hi
Obviously late to the party, we went bielsa way to Spain mid January route was clear and first time for us and the views where fantastic,
Not sure where your going tonight,
but we stayed in this French aire (see pic ) cost us a few euros and although barrier wasn’t working on entry we managed to get in via the terminal phone and was quite easy.
it was perfect for us close town and we took our dog on cable car up mountain to explore the snow 👍

IMG_3553.jpeg

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Hi
Obviously late to the party, we went bielsa way to Spain mid January route was clear and first time for us and the views where fantastic,
Not sure where your going tonight,
but we stayed in this French aire (see pic ) cost us a few euros and although barrier wasn’t working on entry we managed to get in via the terminal phone and was quite easy.
it was perfect for us close town and we took our dog on cable car up mountain to explore the snow 👍

View attachment 869895
Thanks, we are on CCP at Arreau. Could of went further but hard drive thru the mountains so stopped but its a nice little town.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
After looking round Ainsa and as it was 19c and full sun we decided to cross today thru the Bielsa tunnel to avoid any snow and ice. Quite a bit of snow on French side and noticeably cooler.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Any pictures ?

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Had snow last night and its -2 now so glad we crossed yesterday. We came showing ice risk for chains.
Screenshot_20240301-080806_Chrome.jpg

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Please don’t post images of the Bielsa Tunnel l have bad memories as l have been fined twice for speeding 80kph and on the last occasion l was free wheeling as l was out of fuel and coasted into the garage on the left as you exit in Spain😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back